Low carb dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• soontobeskinnytbird
    soontobeskinnytbird Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have just started low carb and trying for total (not net) 30-50g per day. Last night I had salmon topped with pesto & parmesan baked in the over, with a side of peppers and mushrooms fried in butter and philadelphia cream cheese stirred in. This was yummy and filling. I will check out the links others have highlighted. Am shocked that I am totally not hungry and my cals have dropped significantly (to around 1300) although i'm tracking the carbs really not the cals.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Back when I was a low carber I used a site called Livin' la vida low carb- it may help you!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact 20g is very extreme, and you're unlikely to be able to sustain it, look at eating lean protein and lots of veg. For lunch perhaps chicken and broccoli, chicken/tuna/salmon salad, greek/natural yoghurt with anything you like. For dinner perhaps turkey/chicken breast and veg, homemade turkey burgers/meatballs - turkey mince is brilliant and really versatile, salads, salmon. For low carb, try to limit the amount of fruit you consume as fruit contains a lot of fructose (sugar is carbs).

If you're doing heavy exercise you need carbs to fuel your workouts, as well as recovery.

ETA - my go to condiment at the moment (for salads/tuna) is balsamic vinegar - amazing
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Does anyone have any nice meal ideas for a low carb diet as I am not very inventive.

I am trying to keep under 20g of carbs a day but I end up having the same meals for lunch & dinner (Chicken + few vegetables)

Also, what condiments would people suggest to have on the meals?

Many thanks

Condiments: Horseradish, Mustard, Salsa, Mayo, Soy Sauce, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, . . .

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/special-diets/paleo-diet/

For breakfast Yogurt, Cucumbers, and Dill.
    Or add spinach or another green to an omelet.

Make a crustless pizza using cauliflower as a base.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Crust-Pizza-Recipe-30739512

Try cutting up some vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, onions, or red peppers) to bake for ten mins at 350 /375. (You have to play with the temperature and the time a little the first few times depending on the vegetables.Drizzle with a little oil when they are done. They are lovely with chicken or salmon.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/grilled-vegetables-recipe.html
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi all

Does anyone have any nice meal ideas for a low carb diet as I am not very inventive.

I am trying to keep under 20g of carbs a day but I end up having the same meals for lunch & dinner (Chicken + few vegetables)

Also, what condiments would people suggest to have on the meals?

Many thanks

Low carb diet consists mostly of meat and green veggies sadly. The worst part about it though is that you can't have a cheat day/meal every week. Which is something you can do often with a calorie deficet diet.

you can actually do cyclical ketogenic with 1-2 days of carb-loading, particularly useful on the days i do weight training. it won't do any harm, from what i've read.