Mirena - Gaining Weight

Options
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm hoping for a little advice. I had the mirena changed a couple of weeks ago, and last week I put on 2lbs and got weight in tonight and feel really heavy today. I think I'm going to have put weight on again this week, despite exercising every day this week and eating healthy.

How long did you gain weight for after having the mirena put in and when did you start losing again?

Thanks in advance
xxx

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I know when I got mine, it made my cycles wonky for few months. Just hang in there, and the.bloat will come off. It's likely just water weight.
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Its just really disheartening putting weight on. I try so hard to eat healthy and do loads of exercise and then nothing happens!
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So yourself a favor and stay off the scale for a week or two. Keep doing what you're doing and it will settle. I'm gearing up for my TOM and I'm up a few lbs this week. It's hard, but I know its only bloat.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I second the water weight. Your body just needs to get used to the change. Don't weigh in for a bit if it disheartens you. But it's not you it's just water.

Also weigh in in the mornings. Evenings weight is far less reliable as it factors in so much other stuff like the weight of food/water you had all day
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    2lbs is probably water weight from the change in the device.

I know Mirnea has weight gain listed as a side effect but I also know that when they did the study on Mirena they used 94000 women..and out of the 94000 women less than 5% of those women reported weight gain. And the way studies go participants have to report anything "unusual" but during this study they were not required to track calories so there is no guarantee that it was mirnea that caused it.

Eating "healthy" does not guarantee weight loss either. You have to be in a calorie deficit for that...are you sure you are in one?

Do you log everything? weight solids? measure liquids?

I used Mirena for 7 years...and lost half my weight after I had a new one put in...I would still be using it if it hadn't slipped out of place so now instead I am on depo.

Just ensure you are logging accurately and staying in a deficit and you will lose weight regardless of your BC.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

I'm hoping for a little advice. I had the mirena changed a couple of weeks ago, and last week I put on 2lbs and got weight in tonight and feel really heavy today. I think I'm going to have put weight on again this week, despite exercising every day this week and eating healthy.

How long did you gain weight for after having the mirena put in and when did you start losing again?

Thanks in advance
    xxx

I didn't gain weight with Mirena.
  • stephb130181
    Options

I know Mirnea has weight gain listed as a side effect but I also know that when they did the study on Mirena they used 94000 women..and out of the 94000 women less than 5% of those women reported weight gain. And the way studies go participants have to report anything "unusual" but during this study they were not required to track calories so there is no guarantee that it was mirnea that caused it.

Eating "healthy" does not guarantee weight loss either. You have to be in a calorie deficit for that...are you sure you are in one?

I used Mirena for 7 years...and lost half my weight after I had a new one put in...I would still be using it if it hadn't slipped out of place so now instead I am on depo.

Just ensure you are logging accurately and staying in a deficit and you will lose weight regardless of your BC.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Most helpful.
    I make sure I log everything I eat and weigh everything out religiously. But I never seem to get my calories up to where they are meant to be. But the thing is I just don't feel hungry enough to eat more.

Its good that you lost so much with the mirena, as I really love it and it suits me brilliantly. I will just keep on with the eating and drinking of water and logging and hopefully it will come back off in time. xx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone for your replies. Most helpful.
    I make sure I log everything I eat and weigh everything out religiously. But I never seem to get my calories up to where they are meant to be. But the thing is I just don't feel hungry enough to eat more.

Its good that you lost so much with the mirena, as I really love it and it suits me brilliantly. I will just keep on with the eating and drinking of water and logging and hopefully it will come back off in time. xx

Just remember hunger is not always the best indicator of what the body needs...

If you are exercising you need the extra fuel (exercise calories) and if you aren't you sitll need to hit your nutrients to stay healthy while you lose the weight.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight with the Mirena, but I had other health problems like developing ovarian cysts and hair thinning - both of which stopped when I went off of it. As for the "weight gain" - probably just water like when your hormones fluctuate during a cycle. Drink plenty of water to flush your system and it should regulate, but it may take a couple of months for your body to get used to the hormones. When I started getting the ovarian cysts with the Mirena is when I started having some problems not so much with weight gain - but with being "puffy" constantly and bloated and such. Just something to be mindful of - a lot of women develop cysts on Mirena - but a lot don't :) hopefully you'll have a better experience with it.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Morning Hun,

I had the mirena for 5 years and just had a new one inserted Friday (06/06). I was very bloated also, AFTER the insertion! I def would take that as water weight!! I didn’t gain weight because of the mirena, I gained weight because I was very unhealthy! I wouldn't “blame” my weight gain on nothing else but me!!

Good luck

Christina
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Morning Hun,

I had the mirena for 5 years and just had a new one inserted Friday (06/06). I was very bloated also, AFTER the insertion! I def would take that as water weight!! I didn’t gain weight because of the mirena, I gained weight because I was very unhealthy! I wouldn't “blame” my weight gain on nothing else but me!!

Good luck

Christina

^^^Yup
  • stephb130181
    Options
    Morning Hun,

Good luck

Christina

Thanks for all the replies girls!
    I'm exactly like you Christina....I've had it in for 5 years and everything was great, but after I had it changed I felt really bloated and ucky! Lost a pound last night, so must have been water retention last week.
    Onto a new week, time to get focused, eating right and exercising right!
    xx