New to MFP and using a FitBit Flex

Options
I need someone to tell me I understand this all correctly or if I need to do something differently.

1. I have linked my two apps together.
2. I should log food only into MFP and not at all in fitbit (can I log water intake in fitbit as I find that interface easier?)
3. My daily walks should NOT get manually added into MFP but rather just get counted as steps in FitBit
4. Any other exercise like biking or lifting I DO add manually in the MFP app (but jot in the FitBit app. (My side question to that is whether or not it is a big deal if I am wearing the fitbit during those times as I don't mind if things are a little skewed. Or what about something like a aerobics or jazzercize class (not that I do those nights but IF I did...)

I am trying MFP again after a hiatus and so far I am liking what I am seeing. I just want to make sure I am using these tools the right way!

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I first started using my Fitbit I remember the site telling me that I should be logging food and other exercise into MFP directly if I'm linking the two accounts together. I also just log my water using MFP. Fitbit will only track steps, so activities like cycling and lifting will need to be entered separately. And no, you do not need to add your walking activities because when you sync your Fitbit it will automatically recognize those calories for you.

I hope I helped!
  • 7ricarico
    7ricarico Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started using the Fitbit Flex last week, so I'm no expert, but I had some of the same questions you have.

I think it's fine for you to log your water intake into Fitbit rather than MFP... just don't log your food there. You CAN add your daily walks into MFP... I do. This is why MFP will now start asking you for your "start time" for your exercise. Your fitbit will count those steps as "steps taken" but it won't count them toward your Fitbit calories burned. I would wear your Fitbit all the time (including your exercise classes), AND log your exercise into MFP.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    What I do: food in MFP, exercise in Fitbit. Also works.
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Fitbit Flex since January this year and stopped logging my walking activities. I didn't realise that this would mean that the calories wouldn't be taken into account in the Fitbit dashboard. I can never understand why Fitbit having a negative effect on the calories burnt in MFP - would this be why?

I still log my exercise classes and other activites - just not the walking, which I do a lot of.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log any step-based activity. Here is a summary of how it works.

In MFP, you enter your height/weight/goal/etc. And you indicate if you're lightly active, sedentary, etc. Based on your stats & activity level, MFP assumes you burn X calories per day. It thinks about your goal, and subtracts that from X to give you a calorie intake goal. For me, MFP assumes I will burn 1900 per day and deducts 500 so my goal is 1400.

As I move thru regular activity, and step based exercise, Fitbit adds up my calories. More per minute when I'm very active, less per minute when I'm not doing much. MFP gets this calorie burn # from Fitbit and compares to X. If its higher than X, then I've earned extra calories. I can eat more and still be at my 500 deficit. If I've burned less, then I don't get bonus calories and I know I need to move more.

I personally log food, water at MFP but there isn't a right or wrong to it. Personal preference. As to whether or not to log exercise & where? I don't . I don't do anything that isn't step based, and as for strength exercises they don't burn much more than regular daily activity. And that is already accounted for. If you do log exercise at MFP, say you enter a 2 mile walk from 8am to 8:30am, then MFP will estimate your calories burned for that 1/2 hour and only count the Fitbit data on calories burned from the rest of the day. It won't double-count.
  • ceejld
    ceejld Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

I have a flex and I do the following:

MFP set to sedentary, goals set according to IIFYM
    All food and liquid logged in mfp
    All calories for step based cardio logged in mfp based on my HRM. So if I go for a run then I use my HRM calorie count to override the fitbit number. I enter the time and duration of my exercise into mfp which then syncs with fitbit. The calorie adjustment is then automatically worked out by mfp and fitbit and this doesn't impact your step count.
    Now if I walk the dog or do what I consider non-cardio exercise I just leave fitbit working out the calories and it automatically works out calories with mfp. I don't log this as dedicated exercise in mfp.

Hope that makes sense,

J
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What I do: food in MFP, exercise in Fitbit. Also works.

Same. Entering the time also keeps fitbit from double counting steps and activities.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i do not log any exercise through MFP i do it all through the fitbit site and i have them synced together.. i log food and water through MFP..

i feel fitbit gives me a better idea of what i burn verses MFP..

good luck on your journey
  • akdavis1814
    akdavis1814 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a detailed and understandable explanation of the inner workings. I have heard different things about double counting steps but at this point I'm not too worried about it. I'm not logging exercise that is step based but nonetheless I hope you are right about that! :)
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This was very helpful.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Great info! Receiving a fitbit flex next week and I already have a Polar FT4 HRM. So I was really wondering if I should still be using my HRM to track bike rides and power walks. Still a bit confused but I'm sure I will get it worked out!
  • RealtyGoddess
    RealtyGoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Using my fitbit and I am just now getting it synch with MFP but it seems my calorie burn is LOW and I wonder if it's tracking all my steps.

I jog/walk interval, but sometimes I use the hill feature and have to hold the treadmill bar. Does the fitbit know I am still moving because sometimes it give me inaccurate times for my workout. GRRRRR