Regretting my purchase of a Jawbone UP before even using it.

As I wait for my exercise clothes to come in, since all I honestly have are tunics and dressy leggings and jeans...

I am thinking about the jawbone up that I ordered. It should come in the mail today. I read about it breaking and many people being through 3-4 of them in six months. But you know, the people whose stuff breaks vocalize the most on ratings sites.

I been hearing about it all over so it must be good...

But then I watched more reviews and even the professional reviewers in follow up videos say a year after their initial review that their jawbone broke 2-3 times. Now I am really regretting my purchase. Jawbone really needs to fix their products if every customer's breaks.

I did get a deal for $50, but still I don't want my device to break next month. $50 is a lot for me as a student.

Has anyone on here had a jawbone that has worked longer than 6 months or a year?

Also has anyone had any use with this scale?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FT8ZI6Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A21JAYJNFQ9DBU

If you cannot open the link, it is the Weight Gurus scale, where it tracks your weight by your phone scanning a QR code.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I don't have one, but my friend does and loves it. Keep in mind that people are more likely to post reviews when dissatisfied. A bigger question is, how does Jawbone handle the problem? People say Fitbit is great about replacing a problematic product, I don't know how Jawbone handles it.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Following closely.

I just bought one last weekend for hubby's Father's day gift.
    Bought it at best buy... wondering if I should return.

What do others tink about the UP?
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    I have had my Jawbone Up 24 for 3 months now and I love it! I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). It may not be 100% accurate, but it motivates me. I can see if I am slacking and then try to get more movement in. I have a desk job and I love that I can set it to vibrate after being inactive for an hour, it reminds me to get up from my desk and walk around :)
  • Well that's good that you two have jawbones or either know someone that has one that hasn't failed. I really cannot wait to get mine lol.

But yeah from what I read is Jawbone gives you a new one up until a year after the purchase date. Then after that, you're out of luck. I just heard stories of the replacements breaking. I assume they may be refurbished or something.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,519 Member
    I have one, for over a year now. It hasn't broken, but I don't use it anymore. The step count was totally off, due to the fact I use my arms in repetitive motions at work. It had me at 17,000 steps one day after work; after that day, I started wearing it on my ankle, and the step count was around 6,000. It's just too uncomfortable on my ankle to be worn daily.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I have one, for over a year now. It hasn't broken, but I don't use it anymore. The step count was totally off, due to the fact I use my arms in repetitive motions at work. It had me at 17,000 steps one day after work; after that day, I started wearing it on my ankle, and the step count was around 6,000. It's just too uncomfortable on my ankle to be worn daily.
    Interesting...I'm considering one, but I do tend to flail my arms around a bit much :laugh: :laugh:
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    I got one for my birthday last June and it broke within a couple of months. Since then I have had two replacements and they both broke. Just stopped working. When it did work I absolutely loved it, but got frustrated constantly having to call the company for replacements. (Who were very helpful by the way). Hopefully the newer ones will work better. Good luck!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Following (as I'm also considering one.)
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    I don't have an Up but I do have a Fitbit Flex. Their customer service is great and they often replace broken devices regardless of fault.
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 85 Member
    I've had my UP24 for about a month now and love it. Like jamiekerr said; I have a desk job and have set it to remind me to get up and move every 45 minutes. It motivates me to move more. I guess it's only as useful and durable as the user chooses to make it, which can be said for any piece of fitness equipment.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    I compared the FitBit and the UP extensively before settling on the FitBit. I've heard people saying good things about the UP both on the internet and in person, but for me the FitBit site is easier to navigate, the band is barely noticeable (I felt the UP was a little clunky) and you can change the color if you want to (grey, black, orange, blue, navy and they just came out with red). It all comes down to personal preference, I've heard of FitBits breaking too- keep in mind, people are wearing these 24/7 and while working out so its easy to catch it on a machine, clothing, etc. At $50 you got a good deal so I wouldn't sweat it.

I love my FitBit, its a great motivator and its very easy to use. I talked my wife into one and she loves hers as well.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I guess it's only as useful and durable as the user chooses to make it, which can be said for any piece of fitness equipment.

This is how I felt about it. I wore it for a few months but it was such a hassle syncing and adjusting all day long. It's a lot of work
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Following (as I'm also considering one.)

I love your username by the way. I practice Asatru, come from a long line of Vikings and even studied the Viking Martial art (Liekfang). Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13370-jawbone-up-bracelet

When my UP24 stopped working, Jawbone replaced it.
  • apetranovich
    apetranovich Posts: 55 Member
    Following..I'm considering one as well
  • Sure enough - I loved my UP24 for 6 months and wore it religiously. But, it's now broken and won't hold a charge for more than 5 hours. When I think it captured my activity, I notice that my band cannot sync and that the button on the band don't work. It's completely dead even after following all directions!

Luckily, customer service was semi-quick to respond and is sending me another band. But, if this one breaks, I'm moving to Fitbit
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Luckily, customer service was semi-quick to respond and is sending me another band. But, if this one breaks, I'm moving to Fitbit.
    I have both a Jawbone UP24 and a Fitbit Flex (yay, data!), and they've each broken & been replaced.

They're tiny computers you wear on your wrist 24/7—even in the shower. Of course they break sometimes.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    When you say Jawbone do you mean that bluetooth device?
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    I bought one long ago but returned it. Not sure why now. But I expect they're as good as any device. Fitbit breaks frequently and has other issues. Honestly, all the current devices are merely pedometers and a $35 pedometer does as good a job and in some cases better. All you get with the expensive devices are websites to link to. I guess that matters to many people because many buy them.

Apple is coming out in October with an Iwatch that is supposed to be the health data lover's device. I'd wait on it if I just had to have something.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    I have one for 1 and a1/2 years now an dlove it - I did need to change it twice -but jawbone is great at replacing them for free. my last one broke 2 days before the end of my year and they replaced it.

My Up bracelet has helped tremendously to motivate me to move...

nat