Sick and Tired being called "Big Guy"

Options
Hello everyone, I am in need of your help. I have been on every fad diet with minimal results usually resulting in gaining back most if not all the weight I had lost. I am a father of 1 and have another on the way. I want to do this for myself but most of all I don't want to be the father who is too fat and tired to play with my kids and not be able to do all the fun things parents are supposed to do. If anyone wants to add me please feel free. I would love the extra motivation as well and hearing about your struggles and your successes too. I am open to ideas on workouts and recipes. I know a few people to who have done very well using this app and community. I want the same, I want to be happy when I look in the mirror. I want to not be known as Big Guy anymore. The only person I want calling me Big Man is my little man. If you have things that work for you please share, I am not the only one who feels this way I am sure. I look forward to hearing what works and what doesn't.

Replies

• DrGM42
    DrGM42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this!! Good luck on your journey. Sounds like you have awesome motivation!! Sent a friend request!
  • DeeBerning
    DeeBerning Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can do this... and you'll find the support and motivation on this site amazing.

The first time I used MFP, I lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately, for medical reasons, I had to stop. But I've been back at it for 3 weeks and am already down 11 pounds.

I am just keeping my calories down to the recommended level, exercising 4 days a week, and NOT eating my exercise calories back.

I will send you a friend request.... and anyone reading this that wants a daily logger as a friend, feel free to send me a request.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You said you have tried every fad diet out there. May I recommend reading through this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's a lot of reading, but it will give you tons of information that will help you from losing your marbles along the way. Best of luck. You got this!
  • siminske
    siminske Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I was 289 pounds, and I am 6 foot 8. I am now 247, and still going, you can do this.
  • jmfhockey
    jmfhockey Posts: 3
    Options
    I am right there with ya. I get it too. Let's lose that nickname together!
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and best of luck to you! In my experience, logging your diet is the best way to guarantee consistent progress, so you're definitely in the right place!

I'm a certified trainer so feel free to add me and ask me any questions if you have them, I'd be happy to help.
  • illbeinyourband
    Options
    I feel ya, I'm a fellow Big Guy just starting on the road to hopefully the generic nickname of Slim.

It's funny how forward strangers can be about your weight. I know I would never call a stranger "big guy" or say anything about their weight for that matter, but it happens all the time to me. I guess usually older folks (I'm 26). My fiancee's grandma asked me "Aren't you embarrassed?". Patients at the hospital I work with routinely say I could stand to lose a few lbs. Anyway, end rant!
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was once called Big Momma and that hit me hard. I was 17 and not even a mother, it still took me another 7 years to wake up and see what I have done to myself.. I love this website. I love reading the stories and seeing everyone on my friends list make progress. I have been here 4 months and I don't know what I would do without it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Totally understand.

The things that have helped me the most:

Log EVERYTHING down to the condiments, and be real about it. If you're not legitimately logging, you won't be able to reflect on how you can improve if you gain.

Focus on Fiber and lean, healthy protein. Then the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. A dietician told me that, and I've found it to be pretty accurate. For fiber, I get chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com (you can get discount codes from www.retailmenot.com).

Get a Fitbit (or some other sort of activity monitor). Fitbit syncs with MFP. On the Fitbit main website, if you go to the dashboard and click on "month", you'll see a chart of calories in vs. calories out. As long as the out stays over the in line, you'll lose weight. The other good thing about this chart is that there will be days that you'll be hungry after you've had what MFP says are your limits for the day. You can check that chart, and your macros - If you're going to have a snack, how many calories can you have, and does it need to be a carb, a fat, or a protein (or a combination)?

As long as you're diligent about the way you're logging, the data you get from MFP and Fitbit will help a lot!
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    you got this man... you are in the right place and making right move ...
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, I'm a fellow Big Guy just starting on the road to hopefully the generic nickname of Slim.

It's funny how forward strangers can be about your weight. I know I would never call a stranger "big guy" or say anything about their weight for that matter, but it happens all the time to me. I guess usually older folks (I'm 26). My fiancee's grandma asked me "Aren't you embarrassed?". Patients at the hospital I work with routinely say I could stand to lose a few lbs. Anyway, end rant!

:-( That's totally not cool! People can be so rude.
  • robertsthomasb
    Options
    I'm adding you! I lost 90 lbs about ten years ago and since then I've been going back and forth about 10 or 15 lbs. I've been on MFP about 40 days and It's really been helping me, my wife, and my mother-in-law. I've lost about 10 lbs so far, and it's helped change my mindset. It's not just about weight loss--it's a lot more important than that. Now I want to be healthy and happy and live a long time, not just be thin.
  • emmaalyssaa
    emmaalyssaa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! I know how you feel. I've been on here but never tracked. I'm over it. We can do this!
  • lardbut1960
    lardbut1960 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Buddy, Sounds like you have all the motivation you need.

If it helps... I find this whole thing an accounting problem, Every day I am given $1450 (calories) to spend however I want to. The days I spend more than I'm given, I'm over budget and not going int he right direction, when I hit the mark, I'm on track.

It's simple accounting, record your spending every day and be as accurate as reasonably doable, stick to the recommendations and you will without question, become the svelte Dad you want to be.

Another thing that helped me, 1 lb of fat is roughly 3500 calories. I keep that in mind. somehow if gives me a reference point to consider when I want to eat something over my limit. Those 20 chips = 1/10 of a pound.... and definitely not worth it!

Good Luck!
  • Pete1964AK
    Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just started myself, so it's good to see other guys having the same issues and struggles.
    Hopefully, this comunity will be able to keep us all focussed and losing.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Former Big Guy here...went from over 400 pounds to 185. I actually get more p!ssed being called skinny. LOL
    The gym attendant still calls me Big Guy but that doesn't bother me at all :laugh:
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options
    you must understand that you are not going on a diet. the very notion of diet makes me sick this is not about dieting. this is about life style change. diets in essence do not work. because what do you do when your done with a diet you get off of it.

you are not looking for the next diet but instead a total change in the way you see and understand food. on top of that again it must be a life style change.

everybody has a choice, what will be yours? will you choose to learn all you can, ask questions and really make an attempt to understand? or will you make excuses why today is not the right day.

if you are reading this you must make a change now. do not plan for tomorrow and do not worry too much about the past because it cannot be change. do what you can now. cheers.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was so lucky to have found MFP, it has really helped me to lose weight and to be accountable for what I am eating. For someone new to counting calories I have five recommendations:

1. Get yourself a nice digital food scale. Weigh your solids, measure your liquids by volume, Log everything as accurately as possible!

2. Drink plenty of water.

3. Get into the habit of mild exercise, like walking 30 minutes a day. Believe me, as you lose weight, this will become an addiction. I went from walking 30 minutes to 1hr+ a day, 60+lb's (47 since MFP) lost later now I'm doing Insanity and HIIT weight lifting and loving every minute of it. I used to be the guy who thought clicking the remote was exercise. Lol.

4. Take pictures. Use tape measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story, even if you don't share the photo's or measurements with anyone else, keep a record of your journey to keep you motivated. The fit of your clothes can be just as good an indicator of progress.

5. Talk to us! Getting some friends on MFP has helped me tremendously, When I'm having a bad food/exercise day, they are there to tell me it's okay but tomorrow it's time to get back to it. Vice versa. Sometimes helping a friend through a bad food/exercise day is another form of motivation and inspiration, The community here is amazing!