A few Weight lifting Questions

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
I'm currently trying to lose weight so I'm eating at deficit . My goals are to lose weight and keep muscle so that by the time I hit my goal weight, I can work on building muscle.

I currently use the machines at my gym and I have weights at home in the form of a barbell and dumbbells. When I go to the gym I've been following the advice of lifting heavy and focusing on either top half or lower half.

I'm having a hard time phrasing my question so I hope this makes sense. The term "lift heavy" from what I have gathered means if you can only do 1 - 5 reps of the weight it's "lifting heavy".

I found the definition here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1265096-what-is-considered-heavy-lifting-for-a-woman
Heavy is 1-5 reps.

If you can't do just one single rep- it's TOO heavy.
If you can do between 1-5 reps- it's heavy.
If you can do between 5-10 you are training strength and size (if the diet supports it)
if you can do between 10-15 reps- you are training muscle endurance
if you can do between 15-20 it's to light and you're probably bored out of your mind.

Since I'm trying to lose weight I know I can't build muscle and the purpose of lifting weights for me would be to keep muscle so would it makes better sense for me to be in the 5 - 10 rep range?

How many sets of reps would a person at my stage aim to do ?

At the gym I currently use the machines until I really get a better understanding of strength training. I work one day on my upper half , next day on my lower half but there are times when working on my upper half I run out of time to use all the different types of machines.

Could I return the next day and use these machines if they focus on a different muscle groups?

Thank You!!

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I also use the machines at the gym 3 times a week. I do 5 sets of 5 and on my 5th I am shaky and unsteady. I increase by 5 pounds as often as possible. Some machines, like the leg press, only have the option of increasing 20 pounds. So when I increase I usually can only do a couple reps per set. When I get good at that weight, I increase. I also don't break up my days for upper or lower. I do the same ones for upper and lower 3 times a week.

I know free weights are better but I love the machines. I am getting stronger, my body is changing, and I'm happy.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I am in a deficit and I'm doing the Stronglifts program. I lift heavy (1-5 rep) 3 days a week. I've been doing so since the end of November. The weight loss is slow, but the changes in my body are tremendous.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Since I'm trying to lose weight I know I can't build muscle and the purpose of lifting weights for me would be to keep muscle so would it makes better sense for me to be in the 5 - 10 rep range?

It's good for beginners to do higher reps initially, since the extra practice improves movement skills, plus the lower load is generally safer. After a month or two, you can taper down to 5 to 10 reps. To be honest, anything from 3 to 15 reps can work for your goals, if the weight is a struggle to move by the end of the set.
    I work one day on my upper half , next day on my lower half but there are times when working on my upper half I run out of time to use all the different types of machines.
    Could I return the next day and use these machines if they focus on a different muscle groups?

Instead of that, spend less time on machines where only one joint moves - called "isolation exercises". Examples are bicep curl, tricep extension, leg curl etc. You can even skip those, since those muscles get worked on the "compound exercises", where 2+ joints move (like the chest press, leg press, etc). Compound exercises are a more efficient use of time. Same thing applies with freeweights.. which hopefully you'll learn soon. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's good for beginners to do higher reps initially, since the extra practice improves movement skills, plus the lower load is generally safer. After a month or two, you can taper down to 5 to 10 reps. To be honest, anything from 3 to 15 reps can work for your goals, if the weight is a struggle to move by the end of the set.
    I work one day on my upper half , next day on my lower half but there are times when working on my upper half I run out of time to use all the different types of machines.

Instead of that, spend less time on machines where only one joint moves - called "isolation exercises". Examples are bicep curl, tricep extension, leg curl etc. You can even skip those, since those muscles get worked on the "compound exercises", where 2+ joints move (like the chest press, leg press, etc). Compound exercises are a more efficient use of time. Same thing applies with freeweights.. which hopefully you'll learn soon. :wink:

this.... I was going to say anything between 1-10 but he's right anything over 3/4 is probably okay- but I would aim mostly for the 5-10 range. Practice and moderate/decent weight are a good combination.

and size doesn't mean strength you will be building denser strong muscle- with out gaining inches while you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to add that its not necessary for a beginner to use machines first before going to barbells/ dumbbells. I think its better to find a progressive program using barbells and start there. You get more "bang for your buck" with barbells vs machines. Machines isolate the muscles and the majority of the time don't work the muscles like the would naturally. If you are start with a beginner program then you will get familiar with the barbells at a good pace. I recommend checking out Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 as they are easy to understand program and teach you the basics. You don't have to increase the weight each workout especially if you are losing weight but you should be able to increase lifts decently before you hit your own wall.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also use the machines at the gym 3 times a week. I do 5 sets of 5 and on my 5th I am shaky and unsteady. I increase by 5 pounds as often as possible. Some machines, like the leg press, only have the option of increasing 20 pounds. So when I increase I usually can only do a couple reps per set. When I get good at that weight, I increase. I also don't break up my days for upper or lower. I do the same ones for upper and lower 3 times a week.

I know free weights are better but I love the machines. I am getting stronger, my body is changing, and I'm happy.

You can increase by less than 20 by putting a dumbbell on the stack or sliding the pin through a 2.5 or 5 lb plate.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i do pyramids. Start with high reps and lower weight and work up to low reps high weight. For example....

Hammer Curls

16 reps 50lb
    12 reps 55 lb
    8 reps 60lb
    5 reps 65lbs

then go back "up" the pyramid