Fat/Protein/Carbs....What's Your Macronutrient Ratio?

Options
meggwtw
meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
Mine is 45% calories from carbs, 35% from protein, and 20% from fat on a 1200 calorie diet.

SW 293
CW 269
GW 160

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Too confusing.

I just go with caloric deficit.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only reason I keep track of my macros is because my fitbit calculates the percentages based on what I input for food.

Mine is 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat and I eat around 1700 calories per day...I'm usually a little under for carbs and protein and a little over on fat. Eh, I'm not too worried about it...I'm more worried about keeping my protein above 100 grams per day just for muscle insurance and because it keep me full longer.

SW 150
    GW 135
    CW 137
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Goal of 1750 calories a day, 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1650 calories/day net; 45% carbs/30% protein/25% fat.

SW: 155
    CW: 134
    GW: 125-130ish
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mine is 45% calories from carbs, 35% from protein, and 20% from fat on a 1200 calorie diet.

SW 293
    CW 269
    GW 160

On 1200 cals/day only 20% from fat will not be enough. Fat is important, much more than carbs, it is needed for vitamin absorption, healthy hair, nails, skin, digestive tract, etc.... fat will not make you fat, only a caloric surplus will. I would suggest a minimum of 0.35grams per lb of goal weight s that would be 56 grams.

I would also argue that you should be eating more than 1200 calories to lose weight.
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My macros are 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein--with daily goal of 1756 calories.
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

SW 293
    CW 269
    GW 160

On 1200 cals/day only 20% from fat will not be enough. Fat is important, much more than carbs, it is needed for vitamin absorption, healthy hair, nails, skin, digestive tract, etc.... fat will not make you fat, only a caloric surplus will. I would suggest a minimum of 0.35grams per lb of goal weight s that would be 56 grams.

I would also argue that you should be eating more than 1200 calories to lose weight.

Eric, can you point me to a resource to learn more about higher fat ratios (keywords I could google would be great)? I am interested because I have been wondering why I've gone over my fat macros and am still losing weight quickly. Probably helps that the fats are from nuts and seeds, linseed oil, etc.

tia,

Lisa
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "high fat diets"
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance at 2000 calories.
    Mine is 50% c, 25% p, 25% f
    I just picked the closest percentages to hit my protein and fat goals and that is no longer 30% like it used to be. I try to go over on protein and fat daily.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    40/40/20. I've switched my ratios around a lot and found that my body personally does not respond to high fat/low carb diets very well. Currently eating 1900-2000 calories & maintaining/losing.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    for a long time I was doing a high carb low fat protein diet and never lost weight, infact the more "high carb" i went the higher my weight went.

Couple days ago I decided to go against everything I ever knew and try primal/paleo so mine are 60-65% fat 15-20% carbs 20% protein.
    I'm already noticing a different in bloating and how great I'm feeling!
  • pastybuns
    pastybuns Posts: 81
    Options
    This is interesting to see how different things work for different people, I love it.

2000 - 2300 daily calorie goal with 80% carb / 10% protein / 10% fat ratio. Ish, I'm not too strict on the numbers.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I use a static protein number and move my fat and carbs when my calorie budget goes up. The sources I've run across not funded by supplement mongers suggest 1.2-1.4g/kg for endurance sports, which means not eating as much protein as a power lifter. I'm a smaller guy so this means only eating 100g of protein a day.

This is how this looks in practice. My base calorie goal is 1510 because I'm set to losing 1.5lbs a week. Don't worry - my BMR is a whopping 99 calories above that and I don't eat my base number ever anyway. According to the site, I burn 35 calories a mile at my usual speed and current weight so the road trip I leave for in a couple hours adds 2724 calories (probably rounding on the site's part) making for a total of 4234. Protein stays at 100g so I'm just shy of 10% of my calories coming from that. Fat I'll let rise to 75g or so which works out to about 16%. The remainder is carbs, which shoots from my normally sane sounding numbers to 790g or about 74%.

On days that I only ride to go to work, here's what I would ideally be doing. Calorie budget after minimal riding is 1602, which I'll be over by a few. Protein stays at 100g and shifts to being 25%. Fat drops to 50g and shifts to being 28%. Carbs plummet to 188 or 47%. Of course, if I need a library run or some groceries the numbers are somewhere in between.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 on net 1700 cals
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 on net 1700 cals

SNAP!

p.s. 1200 Cals is extremely low - is this your net calories?
  • confidentlyfit
    Options
    80/10/10 (80% carbs)
    I eat around 2000 calories, and do 500-700 calories 2 days a week (5:2 style)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

SW 293
    CW 269
    GW 160

Eric, can you point me to a resource to learn more about higher fat ratios (keywords I could google would be great)? I am interested because I have been wondering why I've gone over my fat macros and am still losing weight quickly. Probably helps that the fats are from nuts and seeds, linseed oil, etc.

tia,

Lisa

If it fits your macros (IIFYM) calculators.
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My goals are 30 / 45 / 25 Carbs, Protein, Fat with a 1600 daily caloric intake.

I usually wind up busting the carbs, but don't lose any sleep over it as long as the weight keeps dropping off. Once it stops, I'll pay more attention.

Goal 1: SW 300 FW 275
    Goal 2: SW 275 CW 247 GW 240
  • renzo211
    renzo211 Posts: 25
    Options
    Found this thread thank god. I was on a high protein ratio with a little over 40% protein (150gr), can't remember what I had on carbs/fat. I did recently switch it up to 35 carb/30 prot/35 fat on a 1530 diet (500 calorie defecit). I'm going to experiment on this ratio for a week, but I would like to hear other people's opinion on this. I'm 5´7, 149 lbs (aprox 16.7% BF).

In my case, should I only be worrying about experimenting on carb/s/fat distribution while leaving protein as it is?