Intermittent fasting?!?

Options

Replies

• kevinearthsoul
    kevinearthsoul Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    \
    I never understood the whole 16:8 as a fasting thing. To me, calories during that 8 hours is pretty much the same as just eating at a deficit each day but with some of the benefits that fasting gives, but not to the fullest extent. eating in an 8 hour window for me is sort of like a normal eating pattern so alll I would be doing is having to eat at a deficit during those 8 hours.

The point of the 16:8 Window was to be able to have a work out in the fasted state, in a time frame where the body is more apt to target stubborn body fat.....

I'm doing it in the hopes of giving my body a rest from insulin for a few hours per day. If the system clears the insulin out, it can help reverse insulin resistance (the primary cause of type 2 diabetes).
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Good Luck
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    IF is the only way to cut imo, eating 6-8 tiny unsatiating meals spread throughout the day is MISERY
  • keithgmccall
    keithgmccall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how eating for 10 hours and not for 14 is considered fasting? That is the typical time people eat: 7:00AM, 12:00PM, and 6:00PM. I was under the impression that IF meant only eat one big meal per day. Eat nothing until dinner time, have a big dinner, and then wait until the next day. The benefit of that is most people just wouldn't be able to eat as much in that single meal. Even a 6 hour eating window is normal since many people skip breakfast anyway.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    this is what i do

it allows me not to feel deprived in that eating window because i take in all my daily calories within that time

IF is fantastic for your health anywayz, ive been doing it for 2 years, every other day fasting, or 4-6hr feast windows, 18hr fasts..ect

Calorie counting mixed with IF is the healthiest way of life a person can do for themselves.
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Fast 5 diet for a while now. I eat whatever I want within a 5 hour window but I do try to stay within my calorie limits on MFP. My window is 3-8pm. Its been a slow steady road, but I feel as if its working out for me because I can over eat on meal one (breakfast) and that could take up more than 75% of my calories for the day. Now I don't have to worry about what I'm going to eat as soon as I get up, or that eat every 4 hours rule. That only stressed me out. So I'm enjoying it. Do what's you think is best for your body. Socially people looked at me crazy when I told them I won't eat anything until 3pm, but now those same people are asking me how are you losing all that weight.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feed from noon - 8:00 pm but I'm really flexible with the times. If I'm hungry, I'll eat earlier, If I get home late, I'll eat later.

For me, the amount of weight loss has been about the same as with the traditional 5-6 small meals a day with the same macro totals for each. I like it because it is SO MUCH EASIER to prep. I do all of my cooking and prepping on Sunday. Having to only prep 2 meals and 1 snack is WAY easier than 3 meals and 3 snacks. Less time in the kitchen is a winner for me!
  • nursecat1
    nursecat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes,I have tried water only every other day and it actually works. Must only do it for a jumpstart---one or two weeks!! Then the appetite is usually under control. My problem is that I fall off the wagon on vacation or under STRESS !!!
  • nursecat1
    Options
    Ariel. I love your enthusiasm. Congrats on your consistency. I have tried this IF before and it did work. I go 24 hours drinking only water and tea. Plus I allow for one or two small pieces of fruit . Next day I try to meet my calorie amt with 3 sensible meals. Only time I mess up is if I get too stressed to stay on target. I am an emotional eater. This keeps me on track.
  • marybeth9999
    marybeth9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just read the free fast 5 e-book online (which was great!) and started 4 days ago....am down 3 lbs in 4 days, but I imagine that kind of loss won't keep up. Feeling less hungry overall. You are having terrific results. I believe that I can do this longterm....as I am tired of counting calories and points....and obsessing about food. This plan is stopping all that.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have never done this or even heard of it but i know when i start eating earlier i feel hungry all day and i feel like i cant get enough..but i also notice it more when im around "that time of the month" but when i start eating later i dont feel as hungry...i dont usually stay up late and im not a late night snacker - my problem is when im at work and slow with nothing to do....but snack...

ive always been taught if i dont eat within 60 minutes of waking then ill have a slow metabolism all day and store more fat than if i had eaten when i got up..i havent looked into it but thats how i was raised so i didnt know any better...anyone have research on this?

not sure if this helps at all..
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If you already find yourself obsessing about food, I highly recommend against IF!!! I tried it too for about 4 months and was not successful. I would obsess about food all morning until my "eating window" opening at 1 p.m. When my window closed at 8 p.m., I couldn't stop eating. I would binge and binge and binge, and it actually worked against me. Results I had from normal calorie counting went away, and then I had to start over again. I find I do much better eating a large breakfast, and then smaller meals throughout the day. Calorie counting already made me food-obsessed, but I'm telling you IF just made it much worse. Of course others have been successful, but for me it just didn't work.

Check out this article too: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comment-1362
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you already find yourself obsessing about food, I highly recommend against IF!!! I tried it too for about 4 months and was not successful. I would obsess about food all morning until my "eating window" opening at 1 p.m. When my window closed at 8 p.m., I couldn't stop eating. I would binge and binge and binge, and it actually worked against me. Results I had from normal calorie counting went away, and then I had to start over again. I find I do much better eating a large breakfast, and then smaller meals throughout the day. Calorie counting already made me food-obsessed, but I'm telling you IF just made it much worse. Of course others have been successful, but for me it just didn't work.

Check out this article too: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comment-1362

I find it totally the opposite.
    Whatever was going to be my next meal was always on my mind before I tried fasting. I would go to bed thinking what to eat for BF, then all Am what to eat for lunch, and then what to eat for dinner. It was like the whole day was consumed with what the next meal was going to be.

When I started to do the fasting where one 24 hour cycle was up to 500 calls it totally freed me from that thinking. I simply made me some sort of sandwich, or some leftovers from the day before, and it was a done deal and didnt have to think about food all day.

Then in my 24 hour UP cycles my body was programmed to not need a whole lot of food and I would maybe get two meals in, or just one large one, because I no longer was a slave to food. Today is a fast cycle until 8pm tonite and I started to marinade steak and chicken for dinner this evening for the family. I dont have to worry about a BF or lunch so it just escapes my mind.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    i have never done this or even heard of it but i know when i start eating earlier i feel hungry all day and i feel like i cant get enough..but i also notice it more when im around "that time of the month" but when i start eating later i dont feel as hungry...i dont usually stay up late and im not a late night snacker - my problem is when im at work and slow with nothing to do....but snack...

ive always been taught if i dont eat within 60 minutes of waking then ill have a slow metabolism all day and store more fat than if i had eaten when i got up..i havent looked into it but thats how i was raised so i didnt know any better...anyone have research on this?

No truth
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

You were taught wrong.

Absolutely wrong.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I find it totally the opposite.
    Whatever was going to be my next meal was always on my mind before I tried fasting. I would go to bed thinking what to eat for BF, then all Am what to eat for lunch, and then what to eat for dinner. It was like the whole day was consumed with what the next meal was going to be.

When I started to do the fasting where one 24 hour cycle was up to 500 calls it totally freed me from that thinking. I simply made me some sort of sandwich, or some leftovers from the day before, and it was a done deal and didnt have to think about food all day.

Then in my 24 hour UP cycles my body was programmed to not need a whole lot of food and I would maybe get two meals in, or just one large one, because I no longer was a slave to food. Today is a fast cycle until 8pm tonite and I started to marinade steak and chicken for dinner this evening for the family. I dont have to worry about a BF or lunch so it just escapes my mind.

I was the same way.

I generally do more of a 16:8 cycle, so skipping breakfast and not having a late night snack, basically, but even that killed the obsession with food that I had previously. The whole "eat every 2-3 hours" type of thing is what triggered me to obsess over food constantly. It made me constantly think about what I was going to eat next.

Now? I've gone back to eating 3 meals a day, usually (though sometimes I'll skip one, depends on hunger levels), but I don't obsess over the food. I find something to eat when I'm hungry, and that's that.
  • nursecat1
    Options
    I have been successful with fasting and only water every other day. But the dietitian told me to increase my intake and eat smaller portions----guess what??? I GAINED more wt. I prefer stopping carbs like breads, and eating protein ,fruits and veggies and then alternate with a "water only" day. It works for me!!
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Well, I new to Fast-5, late to this topic!! Just found out about it 2 weeks ago and I've GAINED 3lbs. I started right out with 19:5 because I'm fine with skipping breakfast. My window is 3-8..I have to wait longer to have my lunch. I'm trying to do it 7 days a weeks. I don't have a problem sticking to my window, but I have found that I do slip up and overeat. So, in the last 14 days following this WOE I have slipped up and overeaten probably 6 times. And when I say overeaten, I mean over my TDEE. So, my questions are:

1) For those losing weight, are you fasting every day? Are you calorie counting? ( I do because otherwise I will easily eat over my TDEE and I'm trying to lose 14lbs).

2) Is it normal to gain at first before you start losing?

3) Am I not losing because I've had these slips? I hope so because I want to believe this will work. It seems to fit the best for me. I've tried 5:2 and trying to only eat 500 calories on fast days was a struggle for me.

4) Any other advice you can give me would be great!! I'm getting back on the horse tomorrow after having a 3-day vacation with the family. So hoping to start fresh and avoid the slip-ups.

And please feel free to add me as a friend if you like!! TIA :smooched:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    1) For those losing weight, are you fasting every day? Are you calorie counting? ( I do because otherwise I will easily eat over my TDEE and I'm trying to lose 14lbs).

2) Is it normal to gain at first before you start losing?

3) Am I not losing because I've had these slips? I hope so because I want to believe this will work. It seems to fit the best for me. I've tried 5:2 and trying to only eat 500 calories on fast days was a struggle for me.

4) Any other advice you can give me would be great!! I'm getting back on the horse tomorrow after having a 3-day vacation with the family. So hoping to start fresh and avoid the slip-ups.

And please feel free to add me as a friend if you like!! TIA :smooched:

1) I fast every day. As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Doing IF does not allow you to eat what you want, and lose weight. Still comes down to Calories in vs. Calories out

2) May be a fluctuation in weight due to water retention. 3 lbs would strike me as water. But keep tracking and watch it.
    If you do gain and it isn't your goal (after a few weeks) then you may need to lower your calories.

3) It is quite possible, yes. An entire week of deficits, can be erased by one day of binging.

4) Maybe open your eating window up a bit, and then progress to a smaller window?
    I eat for 8 hrs, and fast 16. Sometimes it is 7/17
    But for you maybe start with 14 hr fast/ 10 hr eat....then work to 16/8
    But you need to get your calories nailed down first, and figure what you need to gain or lose weight.
    Then track and eat accordingly