How do you deal with working out in the heat?

2»

Replies

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    80!! HAHAHA!! I was Mt Biking in 95 degree weather on Sunday! (I live in Phoenix, the jump off point to Hell). Start early, really early (like crack of dawn). The hottest part of the day is actually about 4pm, so you're better off in the AM than in the evening.

Drink a lot of water. Drink water before you begin to pre-hydrate yourself. Drink while you exercise, and after. You'll be fine! 80 degrees. Please. We keep our house at 80 in the summer!
    I second this, including the derisive laughter and the thermostat setting. :laugh: I'm in Tucson which is just a small step from Mike's jump-off point to Hell. It's been triple digits here for a few weeks already and that's pretty much all we have to look forward to for the next few months. This time of year, we're lucky if the temperature just before dawn is below 75°. We learn to exercise in the heat and to stay hydrated 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

One trick I learned was to drench my technical shirt in water before I go outside for a run. I wring it out just enough so it's not dripping. The evaporative cooling really helps. When the shirt starts to dry off, I take another lap near the house and re-wet it. If you're using a big fan this could really help you, too. If you don't have air blowing against you, though, it's not likely to help.

Good luck!

Jump off point to hell? I love Arizona - used to live there in my younger days. I'm in South Carolina now. The evaporative thing won't work here due to the humidity level. The solution here is a) take time to acclimatize to the heat, b) hydrate before and after, and during if possible, c) work out early in the morning. We haven't hit 100 yet, but 90+ degrees with 80% plus humidity can feel even worse.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Well, I work out in an old garage in the early morning, so perhaps I'm not the best resource....

But there has been the odd unseasonably warm day recently, I grant. Although I wouldn't say it's been death-valley type temperatures, either...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    If I am exercising in conditions that I know the temps are going to get to hot and will hinder my performance, I tend to adjust my hours. If that means working out earlier before the heat of the day or waiting for it to cool down in the evening, then that is normally my plan... Best I can offer....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I'm living in Bahrain where it's in the high 40s centigrade (over 100 fahrenheit), 100% humidity some days and I work out at home and my a.c. isn't working properly. And I have cold-adapted body proportions so I don't lose heat easily (and yes I can back that up with peer-reviewed journal articles :bigsmile: )

I really can't stand the climate here in the summer, the a.c. is my best friend and the ceiling fan my second-best friend... I think I'd be dead without them, I seriously can't wait to get back to the UK and nice cold weather!!!!

regards workout, do what it takes to stay cool, drink plenty of water and have a shower after.

BTW all the bragging about how hot it is, really what you're used to counts for a lot, my first few months in the Arabian Gulf I was sweltering.... and it was autumn and only 30 centigrade with the a.c. on. When summer came around I'd had time to get used to the heat... if you're not used to it, e.g. going from a British winter to an Arabian summer, it's going to be hellish, but if you have time to get used to it it's bearable. It's so hot here it's impossible to workout outdoors, except in the very early morning or at night. I nearly die of heat exhaustion each day on the school run, picking my daughter up at 1:10pm in the direct heat of the midday sun, and all I'm doing is walking and standing, and most of the standing is in the shade.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Get ready to be told to HTFU by everyone living in the South.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Jump off point to hell? I love Arizona - used to live there in my younger days. I'm in South Carolina now. The evaporative thing won't work here due to the humidity level. The solution here is a) take time to acclimatize to the heat, b) hydrate before and after, and during if possible, c) work out early in the morning. We haven't hit 100 yet, but 90+ degrees with 80% plus humidity can feel even worse.
    I agree that high heat plus high humidity feels worse. I've been in Florida in June, 90° and 90% humidity... never again! I'll take 115° and 10% humidity any day rather than that form of Hell.

I had meant to add that acclimatizing oneself to the heat really is key. The weather here in the winter is perfect for running. We have the Spring to (usually) slowly get used to the 100+° heat that we live with from May to October. Ideally, I run as close to dawn as possible. That means very early mornings this time of year but running after work isn't an option unless you're a fan of heat stroke. I also belong to the gym at work so if I can stand running on the treadmill I can put in a few miles there, too, although with no moving air it often feels hotter than running outside.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Go beast mode like usual haha
  • dianemmn
    dianemmn Posts: 27 Member
    Live in England. Never have the problem.

:smile:
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    80!! HAHAHA!! I was Mt Biking in 95 degree weather on Sunday! (I live in Phoenix, the jump off point to Hell). Start early, really early (like crack of dawn). The hottest part of the day is actually about 4pm, so you're better off in the AM than in the evening.

Drink a lot of water. Drink water before you begin to pre-hydrate yourself. Drink while you exercise, and after. You'll be fine! 80 degrees. Please. We keep our house at 80 in the summer!
    I second this, including the derisive laughter and the thermostat setting. :laugh: I'm in Tucson which is just a small step from Mike's jump-off point to Hell. It's been triple digits here for a few weeks already and that's pretty much all we have to look forward to for the next few months. This time of year, we're lucky if the temperature just before dawn is below 75°. We learn to exercise in the heat and to stay hydrated 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

One trick I learned was to drench my technical shirt in water before I go outside for a run. I wring it out just enough so it's not dripping. The evaporative cooling really helps. When the shirt starts to dry off, I take another lap near the house and re-wet it. If you're using a big fan this could really help you, too. If you don't have air blowing against you, though, it's not likely to help.

Good luck!

• ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member

Good luck!

I am in South Carolina also. I say it is just one step above hades here in the summer. And not a very big step either.
    Walking outside in this heat and humidity with allergies and asthma are awful. Exercising outside is completely out of the picture.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    If I go for a run I either go early in the morning or late in the evening.

Otherwise I workout in my air conditioned basement :wink:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    As someone in South Texas, 80 would be nice. We're in the mid-80's to low 90's right now, and it's only going to get worse.

First, hydrate enough BEFORE your workout.
    Workout early morning or in evenings, when it's cooler.
    Slow your pace and/or intensity of your workout.

The body does adjust after awhile, but working out in hot weather is always harder on the body.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    I my runs are to be outside, they are done early morning or late evening. I make sure to hydrate more than normal and slow down.. way down. My non-air conditioned gym is sweltering too but at least the sun isn't also baking me so I do a lot in there. Of it's really unbearable, I take to the treadmill in my basement with a and fan. I also warn my other half that he should plan on me being crankier than usual when I it's exceptionally hot for working out.