Biking???

Options
Does anyone here do leisurely biking as their exercise. I was wondering how people like it and if it is an enjoyable way to exercise. I rode a bike all the time when I was a kid, but in the past 15 or so years I have only done it once and I must say I was quite wobbly. But we have a nice park behind our apartment, its is basically a very long mini freeway (it's about 40 mph with no cross streets or lights) that has park areas on both sides of the road and a walking path and bike path. I walk down there, but since seeing lots of bikers I am thinking about buying a bike.

I would buy something inexpensive of course, but I just wonder if I would get use out of it, since like I said my last experience on a bike was pretty sad. I know I could probably rent a bike to try it out and see if it is something I enjoy, but I'm thinking that might be an all day excursion out to a state park or something. Also, for those of you that own a bike, where do you store it if you live someplace like an apartment? We do have storage cages in the basement but you could easy hop over it (they don't go all the way to the ceiling) and lift it over the fence if someone wanted it bad enough. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here do leisurely biking as their exercise. I was wondering how people like it and if it is an enjoyable way to exercise. I rode a bike all the time when I was a kid, but in the past 15 or so years I have only done it once and I must say I was quite wobbly. But we have a nice park behind our apartment, its is basically a very long mini freeway (it's about 40 mph with no cross streets or lights) that has park areas on both sides of the road and a walking path and bike path. I walk down there, but since seeing lots of bikers I am thinking about buying a bike.

I would buy something inexpensive of course, but I just wonder if I would get use out of it, since like I said my last experience on a bike was pretty sad. I know I could probably rent a bike to try it out and see if it is something I enjoy, but I'm thinking that might be an all day excursion out to a state park or something. Also, for those of you that own a bike, where do you store it if you live someplace like an apartment? We do have storage cages in the basement but you could easy hop over it (they don't go all the way to the ceiling) and lift it over the fence if someone wanted it bad enough. Thanks for any input!
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    I started to ride my bike last summer. The first couple of times out really sucked!
    I couldn't pedal uphill at all, that was pretty embarassing seeing as how I used to
    ride my bike and skateboard everywhere when I was in high school.
    Anyway, once my legs got used to it again it was very relaxing and peaceful, even when
    I was sweating away.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Got a perfectly decent bike at Target for $55. LOVE IT!! I ride at least twice a week and sometimes that's the only exercise I get.... I am lucky we have tons of biking trails around my area but YES I have to say for a minimal investment I have seen fantastic return in the past month! I love it! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I started riding a couple of months ago and do so now at least 4 times a week. It has been incredible exercise! In a 30-40 minute ride, I can burn up to 700 calories depending on my speed.

I did buy a new seat, one that doesn't have a 'horn' to it and that has made a world of difference in my comfort!
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Biking and walking are the only exercises I do - I hate gyms. I ride twice a week, just finished 12 miles in just under an hour and it says I burned 500 and something cals!! But, believe me, I worked my way up to that over the last 4 months. I really enjoy being outside, and I ride on a bike path near me, I would stay clear of roads with auto traffic, drivers don't seem to notice bikers much. And don't forget a helmet...
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I bought a road bike last summer and am officially hooked! I even bought an indoor trainor this winter and have found it to be a blast! I truly feel it is the most fun way to get in a great cardio work-out. Give it a whirl explore your inner child! I was skeptical too, I preferred running at first but now I do both and really look forward to my bike days. Good luck.
  • eaglevalleyde
    eaglevalleyde Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask about biking bc I've been considering getting on my bike for like a year now. I LOVED biking when I lived in UT. I would bike to utah lake and around it at least once a day. It was a good 10 miles or so and I totally saw results. Now I can probably barely get around the neighborhood. You asked about storage? You can leave your bike in the cages, use a good bike lock and presto. I leave mine in the garage but still use a bike lock - shhhh, I don't lock my garage!

I have a way too heavy Mt bike but I'll be back up to it soon, I hope. Also, I am interested in the winter bike stand someone mentioned. How much and how do I get one?

~Sharon
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Okay sit back, get comfy, put your feet up...I will now tell you all the reasons why cycling is the best exercise you can EVER do....

--It's the best calorie burn you can probably do...better than running, gym cardio machines etc. I just got back from my twice-weekly 20-mile ride (I do 2 midweek and 1 or 2 longer weekend rides) and I burned 1195 calories! On long rides it's hard to eat ENOUGH.

--It's great if you have bad knees. I used to play soccer and run, now I'm fresh out of cartilage. Cycling is actually GOOD for my knees.

--You can start from any fitness level. Start slow if you haven't been on a bike for a while. Take a few spinning classes, especially to get your butt in shape :wink:

--It's not cheap to get the right equipment (a big part of the enjoyment of cycling--please ask if you need recommendations for bikes, accessories, etc.) but once you make the investment, it's a pretty cheap form of exercise.

--You can train solo or with someone else or a group. Organized rides are a blast and they have them everywhere for every level.

--It's a great way to chart your fitness progress. Cycling is chock full of gadget geeks--so you can get heart rate monitors that have GPS, cadence sensors, etc. I download each ride so I have a history of my HR, time, distance, cadence, even calories burned. *I would highly recommend training with a heart rate monitor--it can make all the difference in your enjoyment of the sport.

I've been riding pretty steadily for about 3 years and last June rode from San Francisco to Los Angeles (585 miles) as part of the AIDS Lifecycle Ride. I NEVER thought I'd ever be able to do that (believe me, I'm 55 and no Lance Armstrong). It's not an exaggeration to say that for me...cycling is saving my life. In those 3 years my BP, my blood sugar, my cholesterol have all come down to below where I was in my 30's, not to mention I've been able to manage my weight (except during off seasons) and did I mention that it's just plain, big time FUN! So get out there on two wheels!!

That's no doubt WAY too much cheerleading and lots more info than you probably wanted but you asked!:wink:

Feel free to ask further--I'll be more brief--promise.

James
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks to your post I think I'll start cycling again too!!! Although the last time I did it my legs turned to rubber, and I couldn't walk straight, but I did enjoy it when I did it all the time. My sons bike is getting fixed right now, I'll just "borrow" his when it's done!!
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My grandparents started biking a year ago as their exercise, they really enjoy it and still do it now. They have some killer calf muscles and they can keep up with all the grandchildren now (ages 5-20).
    I'd say do it. Nothing sucks more to me than being in a crowded gym. I'm going to go out and buy a bike soon since I have a trail near my house. My grandparents have lost over 75lb each and for awhile this way the only exercise they got.
  • Kelly1376
    Kelly1376 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try taking spin classes at your gym- they are amazing!! I've lost 5 and a half inches and 8 lbs in less than a month of taking 4 classes a week! Very good workout:flowerforyou: I've become quite addicted to the workout- best thing I do with an hour...
  • WileE1
    WileE1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I commute to work every day via bicycle ... not only is it great exercise, but it's very therapeutic as well ... by the time I get home (or to work) I feel like a kid again ... sometimes i even act like a kid again, which doesn't impress my wife at home or my boss at work, but they forgive me :wink: ... anyway, 2 thumbs up for cycling
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am gonna hop on my bike more often now that gas prices are really inclining its a GREAT way to help the environment and gets you fit AND saves you money what else could be better????
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    Last summer my bf and I finished building my bike. We love to search the swap meets for old parts so I have a pieced together 1952 Schwinn straight bar. I added a messengers basket and we were off. We've been riding together on the weekends, it's so fun.

Do a search online for local bike clubs. We join up with one that does rides allover our area... last one had over 100 bikers! Super fun! :drinker:

We live in an apartment and luckily we have a garage to keep the bikes in. In previous apartments in college I've kept them chained on the patio and have even kept them inside in my entryway. Nothing a hunk of fabric can't cover when company is coming :flowerforyou:
  • sewtoday123
    sewtoday123 Posts: 33
    Options
    About a month ago I bought 2 bikes, one for each of my daughters. Then I waited till we received our tax return, I bought a bike for myself. I ride it during the weekends for about 1/2 an hour or more. Now our weather is starting to heat up, so I can only do it in the am and not the pm. I bought all the bikes in a local small bike shop. I figure I would help a small business stay in business. I also have to say I have a fused ankle, and I was thrilled to death to know I can ride a bike again.