Are smoothie/juice cleanses good?

Options

Replies

• kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You really are bored today aren't you? :tongue:

Maybe you should email the guest MFP blogger today - sounds like you are soul mates :drinker:
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh I started with the recipes at the following link. Then I just modified them as needed (less apples vs more to adjust sweetness). Green apples are good as pre-worout.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/joe-cross-juice-cleanse-recipes

You can use the link below to calculate the calories in the actual juice. It is less than the whole fruit. Note: it doesn't work on my work computer, but it does on my laptop at home. When you start typing in the box it should make a drop down, if not then try another computer.

http://juicerecipes.com/build/

Dr. Oz is a quack, and no thinking person should ever take anything associated with him seriously.

Rigger

42852017.jpg
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've been reading blogs and watching documentaries like "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I'm thinking that I might need to do a cleanse with some smoothies or juicing. Would it make sense to mix both together, or just do smoothies or juice?

Also, I think the guy on FSaND did it for 30 days or something like that. Is it good to do a cleanse for that long? Should I do it less?

I found some recipes here:
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/07/18-healthy-vegan-smoothies/
    http://lorimerkitchen.com/2014/03/21/matcha-green-tea-smoothies/
    Opinions on them?

The guy in that movie lost weight and felt better because he ate at a deficit and lost weight. What he ate is mostly irrelevant.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but sometimes I'm a vegetarian. I'll go a while without eating meat, because I read that too much protein could be bad for you.

Too much protein is bad only if you have kidney disease.

Cleanses however can be bad because they can kill all the good bacteria in you GI tract as well as the bad and it can take your body a long time to get balanced again.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    It is mearly a good set of starting out juice cleanses. I think hating anything purly based on a show they attended is stupid. I don't watch Dr. Oz, but I also don't randomly hate TV personalities. I have many other things going on in my life.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I like to do a juice cleanse for my first meal of the day. I use 100% orange juice, and I find that it goes really well with my english muffin, spicy sausage patties, and over-easy eggs.

As for smoothies, there's a lot you can do. I think a clean, refreshing smoothie might go really nicely with a side of pizza. But if you're not that into pizza, you could just drink one for dessert and add a little extra ice cream.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Beyonce sure looks good;). Good luck. I'll keep eating solids.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, you are a bad bad gorilla.
  • xKymus
    xKymus Posts: 2
    Options
    It's just a load of fad diet nonsese. Nothing more. There is no science to support cleanses.

"Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is nothing more than a shockumentary featuring an ethical vegan doctor (Joel Fuhrman) who's been caught red handed cherry picking his information and distorting his own data. The premise is very simple: take any person on a typical, Standard American Diet and then put them on a whole-food diet of any kind and they will lose weight and have health improvements. It's not the smoothies, it's not the juicing, it's not the avoidance of animal products; it's eating less junk food, consuming fewer calories, and exercising more.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've been reading blogs and watching documentaries like "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I'm thinking that I might need to do a cleanse with some smoothies or juicing. Would it make sense to mix both together, or just do smoothies or juice?

Also, I think the guy on FSaND did it for 30 days or something like that. Is it good to do a cleanse for that long? Should I do it less?

I found some recipes here:
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/07/18-healthy-vegan-smoothies/
    http://lorimerkitchen.com/2014/03/21/matcha-green-tea-smoothies/
    Opinions on them?

If you really want to get off to a good start read the following links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is not a documentary, It's an infomercial.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's a commercial.
  • xKymus
    xKymus Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but sometimes I'm a vegetarian. I'll go a while without eating meat, because I read that too much protein could be bad for you.

This is based on epidemiological studies of people on a Standard American Diet. Your body needs protein. "Too much" protein being bad is a myth that gets hyped endlessly by a group of discredited ethical vegan doctors that will do and say anything to get people to adopt their moral beliefs.
  • GenZombie
    GenZombie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of mixed answers here. The first time I mentioned doing a juice fast here on MFP I was like oh crap what have I done? They will, indeed, pounce. That doesn't make them right or wrong; there are good points to each side. I'm just usually careful with what I talk about. The best thing to do is research, research, research. Talk to your doctor. Make your own decision.

I did my juice fast for 3 days. Nothing but juiced fruits and (tons of) vegetables and lots of water for 3 days.
    My decision to do this was based on my inability to kick all the junk (and 2-2liters of Pepsi per day) out of my diet.
    After my cleanse I craved more fresh fruits and veggie than ever before and I cannot stand the taste of soda anymore.
    I did not feel starved, I drank about 8 glasses per day. That's a lot of fruits and veggies.

Overall, based on my experience, I would do it again,
    But that's just me. I'm certainly not pushing anyone to do anything. Just giving my opinion here.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

I think he's a very handsome gorilla :tongue:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So exactly how does drinking juice all day cause diarrhea? And is that a GOOD thing?

Never could understand why someone would take all the fiber out of fruits and veggies, then concentrate all the simple sugars and drink nothing but that all day and call it healthy?
    What is the purpose of this?

The only cleanse that I have ever done, was before a colonoscopy. I certainly did not feel any 'healthier' afterwards, just extremely hungry.

Not sure how anyone could drink nothing but sugar water all day long and NOT be starving and exhausted from the spikes in glucose and insulin.

Is this the same thing that used to be called 'juice fasts'?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I think he's a very handsome gorilla :tongue:

I think so too. OP, I'm not even sure why you're interested in juice cleanses. I think you look great as you are. Maybe you should focus more on lifting heavy rather than paying so much attention to the scale. :smile:
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to cleanse liver and kidney etc....all you need to to take 5 grams of barley grass a day. No muss, no fuss.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like to do a juice cleanse for my first meal of the day. I use 100% orange juice, and I find that it goes really well with my english muffin, spicy sausage patties, and over-easy eggs.

As for smoothies, there's a lot you can do. I think a clean, refreshing smoothie might go really nicely with a side of pizza. But if you're not that into pizza, you could just drink one for dessert and add a little extra ice cream.

This is my favorite post so far today. :drinker:
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    So exactly how does drinking juice all day cause diarrhea? And is that a GOOD thing?

Never could understand why someone would take all the fiber out of fruits and veggies, then concentrate all the simple sugars and drink nothing but that all day and call it healthy?
    What is the purpose of this?

The only cleanse that I have ever done, was before a colonoscopy. I certainly did not feel any 'healthier' afterwards, just extremely hungry.

Not sure how anyone could drink nothing but sugar water all day long and NOT be starving and exhausted from the spikes in glucose and insulin.

Is this the same thing that used to be called 'juice fasts'?

You aren't eating sugar water, expecially if you are doing it right. Fruit shoudl be a minority of what you are putting in your juicer. Yes drink nothing but apple juice and I am sure you will be doing horrible things to your insulin. After 2 months my husband is in normal cholestoral figures. He hasn't been there sense 18. He is 34 now. Would the same thing be accomplished by eating veggies, sure. This is simply a way to back into it, so you are able to stick with it. Don't hate on things you havn't tried. Do I think nothing but juice is a good plan no. Do I think your body needs "cleansed," no that is what you have a liver for. But is a great way to get alot of nutrients and start to change your taste buds into likeing less sweet foods. Juicing and diaretic given prior to a colonoscopy isn't the same thing. Like lets atleast use common sense if we are going to be super judgemental toward someone wanting some basic information.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Me too! I do 80/20 vegetarianism. Like today, over 80% of my salad was fruits and veggies, less than 20% was chicken. I am really reaping the benefits of this plant-based diet.