Carbs:Fat:Protein- How can I balance it out better?!

Options
I always seem to find that my nutrition pie chart is mostly carbs (like today it's at 60%). How can i better balance my diet to get more protein and healthier foods in it so I can shrink the carbs section on my pie chart?

*27 year old female with Crohn's and Colitis- dietary restrictions; NO Dairy, NO gluten and on a Low-Residue diet.*

Forums, advice and friend requests are welcome!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Sarah

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    try to eat more meats/seafood. they generally have low carb and high fat/protein counts

though i dont know anything about crohns or colitis so these may not be allowable in excess amounts
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Given your restrictions it would probably be better for us to be able to see what you are eating now and suggest substitutions or tweaks than just naming foods.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Provided they don't irritate your GI, chicken, fish and more chicken.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just looked at a few days of your diary. Bananas, ginger ale, & pasta.

Instead of a banana with your cereal what about some kind of berry - not familiar with Chron's/your restrictions so not sure what you can and cannot eat but maybe strawberries, blueberries...

Kick that soda habit! Water water water :-)

I think pasta is fine in moderation but it does have a ton of carbs. I try and just keep my dinners simple. A protein (meat...chicken, pork), a vegetable (usually steamed) and a fruit (pears, berries).
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Also, what about turkey/ground turkey? No carbs and good source of protein.
  • Sarahdipity7
    Sarahdipity7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    JCraig- The pasta thing has gotten me the last couple of days. And my ginger ale, I know I should kick it. I get on a trend of like 5 days or so without it, and then 1 day I'll be so far under 1200 that I have to do something, and I can't eat anymore or I'll burst.

I can do any protein, which is great, but it's just trying to get it into each meal that I'm struggling with. I need to dedicate some time on the weekend I think to cook breakfast for the week, I usually bring the previous night's leftovers for lunch to work, but even that's a struggle sometimes.

As for fruits and veggies, there's an awful long list of things I can't have.

I've made my diary public so people can see what I'm typically eating.

Any meal ideas (I can try to adapt them as needed) for breakfast especially would be great. I need to find a better replacement for the rice chex cereal with almond milk and a banana.

The good news is that I've been losing weight through diet and exercise. I just want to make sure I get the most out of this new lifestyle, and do so in the healthiest way possible-- I know carbs aren't ever going to be a super nutritional force.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses!!!!! It's great to have support!!!!!!!
  • Sarahdipity7
    Sarahdipity7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a Low-Residue Diet food list. It outlines what to eat and what not to for anyone who is interested.

http://www.hhsc.ca/documents/Patient Education/LowResidueDietFoods-trh.pdf
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    My breakfast is protein powder with light soy milk in my coffee, followed by ezikiel bread with low sodium turkey breast slices about 2 hours later.
    I'm also super limited on time with work, so I just keep the turkey breast and ezikiel vread in the fridge/freezer at work and I drink my coffee/protein on my way to work.

I have tuna light packets at work in my drawer for a snack lol.