Nutribullet - Anyone use it?

Options
I just got the Nutribullet - need some help! 1st shake looked and tasted like lawn clippings from the yard. Could barely get it down.
What works for you?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Add more berries - it'll get rid of the green color. Also consider which greens you're using - some have a stronger flavor than others. You might also want to start with a smaller amount and work your way up.

I use:
    2 oz mixed greens
    1/2 banana
    berries or fruit
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 TBSP chia
    1 TBSP ground flax
    water
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I actually don't use greens in my smoothies, I used powdered chlorella, essentially the benefits of greens in a powder form. I use one teaspoon. You can find chlorella in any health food store in their vitamins section. For my smoothie, I do the following, and it tastes like a berry shake:

About 3/4 cup frozen berries, your preference, or any frozen fruit
    Cover that with unsweetened almond or coconut milk

Add:
    1 tsp. powdered chlorella
    1 scoop vanilla (but low-carb) protein powder
    1 Tblspoon liquid calcium (need my calcium!)
    1 scoop chia seeds
    1 tsp. or tblsp (whatever the recommended serving is) liquid glucosamine/chondroitin for my aging joints
    1-2 tbspoons of the white "invisible" Benefiber (fiber for regularity!)

Fill to the line with coconut water.

Blend.

You can probably tell, I'm in my 50's and need some of those supplements, but you probably don't. Berries, chlorella, protein powder, chia seeds, and whatever liquid you want, and you'd be good to go.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    70 grams protein powder
    1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    100 grams frozen blueberries
    34 grams almond butter
    liquid of choice(water, milk, soy, etc...) to desired thickness
    Ice if you want it chilled and more like a smoothie.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Carrots and cucumber are pretty good veggie "fillers" that are pretty taste neutral. Not as vitamin rich as spinach or kale, but I find they are a good way to balance the content so my smoothies don't become too fruit heavy.

My basic rules of thumb are half fruits half veggies, and like colors. So the darker the veggies get paired with darker fruit (spinach and raspberry or blueberries) abd brighter colors go together (banana or mango with carrots and celery).
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I find that when I use frozen spinach portions I don't seem to taste them even though the shake is green.
    I usually do 1 scoop of protein, blueberries, half or whole banana, almond milk, sometimes raspberries, flaxseed and spinach as well. Tastes pretty yummy to me.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Add loads of fresh mint to mask the taste.
  • loveabulldesign
    loveabulldesign Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use pineapple juice for half of my liquid- water for the other half. That + blueberries and strawberries take the 'green' edge off, and it does depend on what you use for greens. Be creative- Mache rosettes are super good for you, lower cholesterol, have omega-3s, etc and are very mild flavored. Kale is pretty mild, just don't use too much, and you don't want to have kale or spinach every day, either. You can also use arugula, add some cilantro, collard greens, etc... any green you can think of. Some people add a little honey to make it less grassy, too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I actually don't use greens in my smoothies, I used powdered chlorella, essentially the benefits of greens in a powder form. I use one teaspoon. You can find chlorella in any health food store in their vitamins section. For my smoothie, I do the following, and it tastes like a berry shake:

Add:
    1 scoop chia seeds
    1 tsp. or tblsp (whatever the recommended serving is) liquid glucosamine/chondroitin for my aging joints

Blend.

You can probably tell, I'm in my 50's and need some of those supplements, but you probably don't. Berries, chlorella, protein powder, chia seeds, and whatever liquid you want, and you'd be good to go.

I read that as cholera and panicked a little, haha
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just got one last week and have been happy with it. Tried different concoctions every day. So far only thing I've found I've disliked is using all of the orange, not a fan of the rind. I've used spinach or collards for my greens & different mixes of berries, carrot, apple, banana, avocado, pineapple, kiwi, zucchini, chia seeds, cashews, flax seeds, raw honey, coconut water or almond milk. It just takes some trying to see what tastes good to you.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just got the Nutribullet - need some help! 1st shake looked and tasted like lawn clippings from the yard. Could barely get it down.
    What works for you?

I've made smoothies that tasted like lawn clippings before. I've also made some that tasted worse than that. (Not to get off track, but do not use frozen grilled chicken or raw garlic in your smoothies. Ever.)

If you had told us what you used in your bad tasting smoothie we might be able to offer specific suggestions. Since you didn't, you might try starting with a blend of 2/3 fruits to every 1/3 vegetables. Give that a try. If it still tastes like lawn clippings, reduce the veggies even more.

Over time, you'll get more accustomed to the taste of veggies. Or you can do like I do -- I eat my veggies raw and unprocessed. When I make smoothies I use protein powder, hemp, chia and flax seeds, milk, and fruit. My smoothies taste like milk shakes.
  • jim180155
    Options
    I just got one last week and have been happy with it. Tried different concoctions every day. So far only thing I've found I've disliked is using all of the orange, not a fan of the rind. I've used spinach or collards for my greens & different mixes of berries, carrot, apple, banana, avocado, pineapple, kiwi, zucchini, chia seeds, cashews, flax seeds, raw honey, coconut water or almond milk. It just takes some trying to see what tastes good to you.

Don't do that. You can use a whole lemon or a whole lime. Whole oranges taste terrible.

EDIT: I could have added that to my other post about bad tasting smoothies I've made in the past.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Add:
    1 scoop chia seeds

Blend.

Nice recipe! Will try....
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    70 grams protein powder
    1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    100 grams frozen blueberries
    34 grams almond butter
    liquid of choice(water, milk, soy, etc...) to desired thickness
    Ice if you want it chilled and more like a smoothie.

+1 this is pretty much what I was drinking for awhile. Also I like Spirulina. tastes great and packed with nutrients. Gives you that green smoothie feel without the grass taste too.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Another thought: I don't use recipes, I've always just grabbed whatever I had on hand at the moment and ground it into oblivion in my Vitamix. Hence, I've made some really crappy smoothies. But I've also made some that tasted wonderful. If you're not afraid to subject yourself to some awful concoctions once in a while, the payoff is that much greater when you come up with your own unique blend that actually tastes good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't add vegetables to my smoothies, it sounds disgusting. Just fruits, berries, nut butters, milk, cream cheese and yoghurt.
  • funfoodlover
    funfoodlover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a NutriBullet and love it. The trick is to pack in enough to make it filling (to your stomach), without overflowing (the container). I have a couple of favorites: 1) 1 cup mixed berries (that I have bought on sale and stocked in ziploc bags in my freezer), a handful of spinach or kale (start with small amount and increase over weeks),1/2 cup Chobani Vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 cup Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed, and 1 scoop vanilla Protein powder. Blend, and taste. The second is very different, but equally as good. 2) 1-2 frozen bananas (chopped into a few pieces), 2 Tbsp. Better 'N Peanut Butter (or PB2), 1/2 cup Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt, 1 cup Chocolate Almond Milk, and 1 scoop Vanilla Protein powder. Blend and enjoy! Hope this is helpful and you like these! Nancy
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Grass is not for human consumption. How about eating food instead?
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    Of the 70g of protein you used, your body can only absorb 30g per serving, so you're wasting the other 40g as its not used by your body at all
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Of the 70g of protein you used, your body can only absorb 30g per serving, so you're wasting the other 40g as its not used by your body at all

No one will believe you here unless you provide a legitimate study. Please.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Actually Khalil, I've just read through some of your posts, and I've got to say that you've got this fitness thing so utterly *kitten* backwards it's not even funny.

I really implore you to not give advice or tout your wares here until you've studied properly and learned your craft, without having any ulterior motives. It really goes against the vibe of MFP man.