Strength Training

Options
Hi! I'm a newbie.
I have a quick question ... how come when I enter my strength training it doesn't calculate any calories for this ...aren't I burning 'some' calories doing the weight training in addition to the cardio.

Replies

• littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why it doesn't, but MFP won't if you don't also enter the length of time you did it under cardio. In cardio there is an option for weight lifting, there you can find the number of calories burned
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Becouse strength training in itself burns very few calories. where the strength training helps with weight loss is by increasing your muscle mass, which requires more calorie to maintain and therefore increases your BMR
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The strength training section of the exercise log does not calculate calorie burns. That is not its purpose. Its purpose is to keep track of your lifts. Only stuff logged under the cardio section (which strength training is an entry under) actually counts as calorie burns.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Becouse strength training in itself burns very few calories. where the strength training helps with weight loss is by increasing your muscle mass, which requires more calorie to maintain and therefore increases your BMR

No disrespect intended, I would like to take a little exception with your "burns very few calories" comment. It is very difficult to accurately assess caloric burn during strength training. There are many factors/variables involved. For instance: If you go at strength training hard and fast minimizing time between sets, which kicks up your heart rate, you will have a greater burn than if you were to be following a program like 5x5 Strong Lifts which has a 4-5 minute rest between sets. Admittedly, you will generally burn more calories per unit time doing cardio work than you would for the same unit time doing strength training (but the magnitude of the difference depends on how aggressive you are).
  • mrsbrown109
    mrsbrown109 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input, I appreciate the comments.
    I will put strength training in cardio section as well as the strength training section - I like how I can record each type of weight lifting exercise I do, but .. I hate doing weights, so when I do them, I do them in a circuit to try and get it over with as quick as possible, so I'm sure I'm burning something. My body temp goes up and I sweat.