Do you ever look back and say.....

Options
...what the *kitten* was I thinking?!

No, I'm not talking about the time you gave that guy a handy behind Walgreens, or the time you made a fool out of yourself going after a girl that clearly wanted nothing to do with you.

I'm talking specifically about nutrition and fitness related things. I look back at my 1200-calorie cardio-only yo-yo dieting past and wonder why the hell I insisted that worked for me when it so obviously didn't. If it worked, I wouldn't have kept gaining the weight back. Now I'm eating plenty of delicious food, lifting heavy, doing very little cardio, and I'm so much happier with how I feel and the changed I'm seeing in my body. I'm no longer obsessed with what the scale says and I actually ENJOY working out. It's awesome.

How about you? Do you wonder what the *kitten* you were thinking back when, or were you always a diet/fitness genius? :)

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, during the apple diet, the atkins diet, the salad only diet etc etc.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Now you got me thinking about the guy behind Walgreen's...
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I remember thinking that if I wasn't hungry all the time I wouldn't lose any weight. Now I am hardly ever hungry and still losing, just a lot less painful for me to go through.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yep. I used to think I would always be fat because starving myself never worked.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Eating 650 calories a day and losing 4 pounds a week. Yeah, it WORKED really well for the time being, but I always gained the 20 pounds back without fail.

I feel so much better now and maintaining has become something that makes a LOT more sense, you know, like actually EATING everyday. :P
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yeah........

There is a part of me that is fairly upset I didn't figure this all out before hand. I'm never hungry, growing strong and enjoy being at the gym. Actually I'm rather upset if I can't make it to the gym, it's my happy place. :tongue:

Used to just be a grumpy &*%#er all the time because I was hungry and felt like crap.

Don't really want to think about that girl though.....sad day.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes..
    A long while ago eating 1200 or less calories and staying far far away from fat because i thought it would me me gain weight.
    Now im eating 1900 calories and on a high fat diet :happy:
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Deffinitly a good point, cant diet forever as some point you have to find what works and you enjoy
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Now you got me thinking about the guy behind Walgreen's...

67zOY.gif
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Several attempts at the "3 Day Diet"
    Calorie Counting
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I look back at my oblivious weight gain, and acceptance of myself as an obese woman, and wonder WTF I was thinking. So, yeah. Totally.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Heck yah...let me think here...

oh the soup diet...where one day was just soup, chicken and bananas...wth
    atkins...AMG..wth was I thinking
    my cardio queen days...1hour on a treadmill...trying to get those 3-5miles in and allowing any excuse to get in the way...including the guy at walgreens...:bigsmile:
    the yo yo for the last 3 years alone is enough to make me mad at myself...
    The low fat thing...I am still trying to get myself out of that mindset...I buy light mayo and cheese still...never mind my sister thinks all food should be 'non fat'...ick

I am so glad I found MFP....and got educated...1900 calories a day last week and I still lost 1/2lb...:drinker:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    the yo yo 1200 thing for sure. when I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago I sometimes wouldnt go past 900 calories a day. That was from a lot of monkey see monkey do from my "best friend" at the time...
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, I have one. When I was 40 I did Ironman 140.6 (185 lbs), then I got a hair up my hiney and decided to go to the complete other extreme and try to compete in Heavy Games. I gained over 70 lbs in the attempt- and look at this picture.

Dunedin1.jpg

I am the one in the middle!!! Like I was ever gunna compete! LOL

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!! Not only did I nearly destroy my physique, I got injured all the time. Now as I work to get my athletic body back, and train for a 100 mile ultra, I just can't understand what could have gotten into me. I'd like to say, because I am Welsh, but I didn't even find that out until I was trying to join a team! hahaha
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yup, all the time...also I look back and go, why didn't I get into running sooner
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time. 1200 calorie diet when I first started MFP- I lost 10-12 pounds but I gained back about 20-22. If I had just started out slower I could be so much farther along now. But, live and learn and now I know. It helped put me in the right frame of mind this go around :smile:
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, but that ben and jerrys did taste good! lol
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I used to try and eat between 500-800 calories a day (as well as cardio) and INSIST this was going to be a lifestyle change forever and I would always eat this way and I would be a size 0 by now hahaha what an idiot. I was a dumb 16 year old though.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I thought that during and after my 2 days on the cabbage soup diet.

I'm enjoying cardio though, running is awesome.

ETA: Come to think of it, I used to think that I would never be able to run...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    ...I wish I had loved myself when my body was fly instead of learning to love myself after it got busted.

The fly days are coming, though. I will post pictures one day and say, "LOOK, I did it!"

(doing a little sexy dance) :tongue: