Hormones and eating

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
Last week I think I was dealing with PMS. I say think because I deal with PCOS and I do not have regular menstrual cycles.

One of the symptoms I experienced is I had three - four days where I had the constant desire to eat. I didn't feel satisfied , I didn't feel hunger but I didn't feel full after eating. I also couldn't get my mind from thinking of things to eat.

This may have been a result of PMS and /or some general stress as we had a few lay offs at work and I was dealing with every day job stress but I really think it's PMS more than anything. General job stress is every day and I don't react this way. I also have felt this way before in the past but never bothered to try and restrain myself.

Since Thursday or Friday I'm back to my old self. I'm not craving food, and I feel satisfied by the food I eat. I don't have a regular menstrual cycle so PMS isn't something I deal with monthly thankfully but what can I do to help ease these symptoms when I do?

I recognize the problems and by sheer force of will I tried my best not to eat myself silly as I have in the past but anything I can do so I'm not relying completely on my very thin amount of self control?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I eat like I'm 8 years old when PMSing. I try to stay within or close to within my calorie goal (within 200 ish calories) and I tend to get more carbs into my diet than usual. Mac & cheese, instant noodles, PB&J, ice cream, all the comfort foods. For me, the carbs help satisfy some of my cravings and make it easier for me to stick to my calorie goal.

Other than that, it's just a matter of willpower some days. And knowing that it will pass in a couple of days helps.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    Silly question but how does an 8 year old eat ? LOL. I imagine you mean you eat small meals , frequently? That may actually work if I pre-log everything so I know I don't go over my daily calorie goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Silly question but how does an 8 year old eat ? LOL. I imagine you mean you eat small meals , frequently? That may actually work if I pre-log everything so I know I don't go over my daily calorie goal.

Nope, I just mean food choices from when I was 8. Like the mac & cheese. These are foods I equate from my childhood that I don't necessarily eat often as an adult. They tend to be higher in carbs and also bring an emotional happiness to me that has nothing to do with their nutritional value.

Not a silly question at all, btw! I hadn't thought about how completely non-specific a phrase like that really is. :blushing:
  • RenaTX
    Options

Nope, I just mean food choices from when I was 8. Like the mac & cheese. These are foods I equate from my childhood that I don't necessarily eat often as an adult. They tend to be higher in carbs and also bring an emotional happiness to me that has nothing to do with their nutritional value.

Not a silly question at all, btw! I hadn't thought about how completely non-specific a phrase like that really is. :blushing:

OOOHHH! Duh lol. Thank you for explaining! :flowerforyou:
  • d00dlefairy
    d00dlefairy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy done 10 years ago but I still "know" when it's time. There were 2 days in a row last week that I could have eaten til I burst. Every time I ate, it only took half an hour for my stomach to scream for more. It was really bad and at first I thought there might be something wrong with me or I had my calories set to too low and my body was in uproar. Everything is back to normal though lol. I have only had this since I started counting calories. Our bodies may truly need more on those days.
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bring up my calories by selecting to lose on .5 lbs a week for those 4 days or ill be angry at the world!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat lower calorie/smaller versions of what I used to eat. For me it's chocolate, every time! (The rest of the month I'm not a big fan of it) so I get things like the WW chocolate honeycomb pots that are only 77 cals or a freddo bar that's around 100 so I'm still satisfying the craving but staying in my calorie allowance.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It may have been a combination of PCOS, stress, and PMS. I don't know too much about PCOS but I know the other two only too well. I drink herbal teas, drink plenty of water, and go for long walks. It may help to just eat at your calories maintenance level a few days during those times, too.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    It may have been a combination of PCOS, stress, and PMS. I don't know too much about PCOS but I know the other two only too well. I drink herbal teas, drink plenty of water, and go for long walks. It may help to just eat at your calories maintenance level a few days during those times, too.

That's not a bad idea. I'll try that next time. Thank you
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I eat lower calorie/smaller versions of what I used to eat. For me it's chocolate, every time! (The rest of the month I'm not a big fan of it) so I get things like the WW chocolate honeycomb pots that are only 77 cals or a freddo bar that's around 100 so I'm still satisfying the craving but staying in my calorie allowance.

Yup chocolate here as well. I tried eating an Atkin's chocolate coconut bar but felt I needed / wanted the sweet which it lacked. I felt next time I should just eat real chocolate but then the next day I was doing better lol.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I bring up my calories by selecting to lose on .5 lbs a week for those 4 days or ill be angry at the world!

I'm super glad it's not just me. I think I read somewhere that our cravings is just in the mind but even if it is I can't turn it off!
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy done 10 years ago but I still "know" when it's time. There were 2 days in a row last week that I could have eaten til I burst. Every time I ate, it only took half an hour for my stomach to scream for more. It was really bad and at first I thought there might be something wrong with me or I had my calories set to too low and my body was in uproar. Everything is back to normal though lol. I have only had this since I started counting calories. Our bodies may truly need more on those days.

My body may need more but my brain only focuses on junk food. :angry: I try to shut it up but it won't listen!