What should I be eating?

Options
I'm a bit of a fussy eater, I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat eggs or fish, I'm not too fond of dark green veg or potatoes.
Take a look at my food diary and tell me what you think I need more of? I know I eat too much sugar and carbs and I need more protein. I just don't know what to eat. I'm always hungry.

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're always hungry. Your calorie goal is set very low, you're eating under it, and you're not getting much protein or complex (non sugar) carbs. First off, you shouldn't eat chocolate bars as a replacement for dinner, or just have an apple for breakfast! Try an apple and Greek yogurt for breakfast instead. Eat salad. Eat avocados. Eat legumes. Eat tofu, since you say you're a vegetarian. Also, since you obviously eat dairy, try a little bit of cheese--it's satisfying.

And eat more vegetables. I know you say you don't "like dark green vegetables" but there are hundreds of veggies out there, and I bet you'll like some of them, in some preparation.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It looks like a lot of your foods are packaged. Are you able to cook? Cooking even one or two meals a day gives you so much more control over your food intake and will be incredibly helpful on your fitness journey.

Do you eat dairy? Milk is a good vegetarian protein source.
    Greek yogurt is very versatile. Plain has the least carbs/sugar. Add your own fruit or jam if you want it sweeter. Store sweetened varieties have outrageous amounts of added sugars. It also makes a great sour cream substitute.
    Cheese has a lot of protein too, with few carbs. Watch out for the calories and fat though.
    Cottage cheese is also high in protein. It tastes good mixed with sweet fruit like pineapple.
    You could also make shakes using a whey protein powder.

Soy products like tofu, edamame beans, soy milk have a lot of protein.

Hearty whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice.
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/ has amazing oat recipes!

Beans! Make a lentil soup or a chili.
    This is my favorite chili recipe.
    http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/07/quinoa-chili/

Nuts and seeds are high in protein and healthy fats.

Eating more protein and healthy fat will help you feel more full.
    Make sure to drink lots of water!
    Also filling up on low calorie density foods like non-starchy vegetables (lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, etc) can be helpful.
    Fruits too. Apples, oranges, berries.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils have a good bit of protein and fiber and will help keep you feeling satisfied. Add lots of colorful peppers and onions and you can squeeze in some veggies.

Also, try some winter squash. Acorn and butternut squash are both very sweet and flavorful, have lots of fiber with low calories, and are extremely easy to cook. You just cut them in half, scoop the seeds and throw them in the oven to bake until they're soft. Throw on some salt, nutmeg or sage, and butter if you can afford the calories, and you can eat them right out of the skin.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/quick-curried-chick-peas/

Hummus and slices of bell pepper, red, green and yellow

Apples and bananas

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/2012/08/18/roasted-rosemary-sweet-potatoes/

Tofu curry with rice
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you're in a living situation where cooking isn't easy (I know my first apartment out of college didn't have a proper kitchen), or you don't really know how or are often pressed for time, there are decent frozen vegetarian meals out there. A bit high in sodium, but if you read the labels, some of them are nutritious, tasty, and of course, dead easy. Amy's burritos, Kashi frozen entrees, and Moosewood brand are all ones I've enjoyed--and I'm a major food snob and don't eat a lot of prepared food, so if I approve, it means something. :smile: I can't remember if you're in the US or somewhere else, so you might have different brands--but do check out the freezer case.