Planet Fitness

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew like how to ask for assistance at Planet Fitness? Do they assist you on the machines and stuff one on one or do you have to come for a class? do people even do the classes? I need some help or a gym routine. I walk around in circles scratching my head...

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You *may* want to be more proactive
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I walk around in circles scratching my head...

dont log that as exercise.

what are your goals?
    build strength? cut fat? lose weight? gain weight? get a thigh gap?

theres a TON of info on those interwebs.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

what are your goals?

Does this mean the staff at planet fitness isn't supposed to help with routines and stuff?
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    From what i have heard regarding Planet Fitness i think your best bet would be to find a fitness center that WANTS you to succeed and get as far away from that one as possable if you plan on building a better body.
  • skullshank
    Options

what are your goals?

Does this mean the staff at planet fitness isn't supposed to help with routines and stuff?

maybe they can help. OP's just gotta ask.
    this guy got assistance...

guy-working-out-sort-of.gif?w=273&h=273
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    From what i have heard regarding Planet Fitness i think your best bet would be to find a fitness center that WANTS you to succeed and get as far away from that one as possable if you plan on building a better body.

& here we go...
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

what are your goals?

maybe they can help. OP's just gotta ask.
    this guy got assistance...

guy-working-out-sort-of.gif?w=273&h=273

That looks fun!

*shrugs*
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ask some of the staff? Most gyms will do a 'free' PT consultation which should include various measurements and some basics on the equipment. The purpose is to get you to purchase PT sessions, but they should be able to point you in the right direction and at least get you started. The gym can be overwhelming when you are new.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You're not in the right price bracket for employees who care... need to move up about oh, idk $50-$60 more
  • HerkMeOff
    Options
    You're not in the right price bracket for employees who care... need to move up about oh, idk $50-$60 more

Every PF that I have been to, have had VERY helpful employees.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Sounds like no one other than OP actually goes to PF??! I do- and all you need to do is ask at the desk if you just have a question it two about something specific (oh, like at any other gym I've ever belonged to). If you want a "routine" that's what the free "classes" are for! Just sign up & go. See the website for more info.

These are not classes in the conventional sense and seem to be for newbies anyway; for example they also have one session on just the 30 minute circuit room, etc.
  • skullshank
    Options
    OP, if you need assistance on a couple particular machines, then yes, feel comfortable to ask an employee for help.
    as for getting one-on-one consultation for a program, etc. i dont think many gyms will do that for free. that would require getting a personal trainer.

there are some great resources out there for you though.
    "starting strength" and "new rules of lifting" are 2 that are popular that i'm aware of.

i know the gym can be daunting at first.....we've all been there.
    watch youtube clips, ask an employee, or see if google can offer you help.

dont NOT go because youre unsure of what to do.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with "ask."
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I agree with being proactive. Sit down and think about what your goals are. Then start googling or asking around here for different fitness programs that you can look into. Once you find what you feel is right for you, hire a competent trainer to take you through the workouts.
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go to the counter and ask for a schedule of the training classes.
    They have tons of them every day, 7 days a week and will help put you on a routine
    and show you how to use the machines. its a free service at Planet Fitness
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

thats cute.

I lost 150 lbs at planet fitness, then moved on once my goals changed.

To the OP: Just ask, or schedule a half hour window with the trainer a few times. Check the schedule and drop in on a few classes. The PF I used to go to had a daily schedule of all types of group training.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    who cares what the fitness center wants? Building a better body is something we decide to do. I learned what to do watching youtube videos and from friends here on MFP(including taking video for form checks)

my body is coming along just fine.

3n7nb_zps5d4df606.gif?t=1402273550
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ask at the front desk. They will help you out. They offer free training. You may not be able to get it that day, might have to make an appointment.

I've been lifting since '96, so I know my way around. I overheard a trainer working with someone today at PF(I joined one for the summer, since my work gym has such crappy summer hours). He seemed pretty knowledgable and interested in what he was doing. YMMV, but I was satisfied with what he was teaching. Many PFs have "classes" as well, but it's usually just a few people learning how to use the equipment. Ask about that as well.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You can learn a lot just watching videos on YouTube if no one there helps you. I do all my workouts the way I want.

VXTLVjr.gif
  • Pmsylvester
    Pmsylvester Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I scheduled an appointment, met with an employee to discuss my goals and experience. He met with me again to go over the workout plan he'd come up with for me, and went over each machine and how it worked. Great investment in time. Painless.