Back problems?

Options
Hello all!

I re-started my fitness plan last week and have been more cautious than ever due to having a bad low back. Catch 22, right? Trying to lose the weight that is potentially contributing to my pain. Anyway, I have always had a pretty strong core to keep back pain at a minimum with little success. I'm now trying to do low impact such as walking, biking, and plan on getting back in the pool for laps. My doctor has cleared me for fitness routines so it's just a matter of working through the pain. At any rate...just wondering if anyone else has had success with low back issues and weight loss and if you have any tips?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Be patience and start slow.
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I suffered with lower back problems for years. I have very few days of pain now. I started by making sure to stretch my hamstrings, psoas, hip adductors/ abductors quads ( basically all of those muscles around the pelvis/ lower back/upper legs). The iliopsoas group is the most important to stretch ( in my opinion) it brings me instantaneous relief nowadays. Not so much when I first started but with continued stretching. My problem related to a minor disc herniation, I found my muscles would get very tight due to overcompensating for the pain caused by the herniation. Bike riding without stretching the areas mentioned will most definitely aggravate lower back injuries.

Strengthening started with straight legged deadlifts ( off the rack from just below the knees gradually extending the range of motion as I got stronger ) and light machine squats . After about six months I could do deadlifts and squats with a barbell through the full range of motion. I am 44 years old have been going at the weights for about 3 years consistently can deadlift around 200kgs and squat around 140kg ( I am still very cautious with squats) with only some minor back niggles here and there ( I originally injured my back at 17 playing sports). While core stability is crucial I believe the biggest contributor to lower back pain is definitely poor muscular development and maintenance through the pelvis and upper legs. It may seem contradictory to be doing deads and squats for a sore lower but starting light and gradually increasing weight and range of motion , while maintaining form is/was in my case the best way to recruit and strengthen the said muscles.

PS: I am no expert, this is just an example of what worked very well for me. No substitute for GOOD medical advice.
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to eliptical, walking and hot yoga. The walking is not punishing on the back like running is and the eliptical is gentle as well. Hot hatha yoga 2-3 times a week keeps me from getting tight which aggravates my back. Hope some of our suggestions help.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Three surgeries and a spinal cord stimulator implanted, I have some serious back issues. The pool is great, and dropping the pounds helps, but honestly, I think the biggest help for me was a barbell.

Rigger
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! Seems like I'm on track then :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Water calisthenics are great too just make sure it is a heated pool.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes, please start slow and be patient.
    Also, maybe getting a gel insole for your shoes might be helpful.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. You start at only 45lbs per exercise and move up from there with each day, three times per week. The app is also very clean and simple. As someone who suffers with lower back pain, I recommend a compound exercise weight lifting plan.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 PLIFS (posterior lumbar interbody fusion surgeries L3-4 to S1) that have left me in chronic pain and permanent nerve damage. I started walking about 16 weeks ago and I am losing weight and managing my pain much better. I am now able to do low impact aerobics. I am 53 yrs. old.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I suffered with lower back problems for years. I have very few days of pain now. I started by making sure to stretch my hamstrings, psoas, hip adductors/ abductors quads ( basically all of those muscles around the pelvis/ lower back/upper legs). The iliopsoas group is the most important to stretch ( in my opinion) it brings me instantaneous relief nowadays. Not so much when I first started but with continued stretching. My problem related to a minor disc herniation, I found my muscles would get very tight due to overcompensating for the pain caused by the herniation. Bike riding without stretching the areas mentioned will most definitely aggravate lower back injuries.

Strengthening started with straight legged deadlifts ( off the rack from just below the knees gradually extending the range of motion as I got stronger ) and light machine squats . After about six months I could do deadlifts and squats with a barbell through the full range of motion. I am 44 years old have been going at the weights for about 3 years consistently can deadlift around 200kgs and squat around 140kg ( I am still very cautious with squats) with only some minor back niggles here and there ( I originally injured my back at 17 playing sports). While core stability is crucial I believe the biggest contributor to lower back pain is definitely poor muscular development and maintenance through the pelvis and upper legs. It may seem contradictory to be doing deads and squats for a sore lower but starting light and gradually increasing weight and range of motion , while maintaining form is/was in my case the best way to recruit and strengthen the said muscles.

PS: I am no expert, this is just an example of what worked very well for me. No substitute for GOOD medical advice.

^^ This would be my advice as well. Very well explained. I'm going to re-post my response to a sciatica thread because it includes a video link for a stretch to get you started but yeah:
    1. stretch the hips NOT the back
    2. build your lower back strength through lifting.
    OP, if you're suffering from a literal pain in the @ss.... I suggest the stretch shown in this video. It does wonders for my sciatica issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

I've been heavy lifting since February and while my back pain overall has diminished remarkably, tight butt muscles can really flare my sciatica through the piriformis muscle. Also, get a lacrosse ball, pin it to the wall with your butt and roll it around to work out those muscles when they get too tight. It looks *really* awkward, but it feels magical.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, I have low back issues as well and it helps a lot. I prefer hot yoga, burns ALOT of calories. Also, abs are made in the kitchen so just eat clean 80% of the time and the weight will fall off!
  • emilyx3
    emilyx3 Posts: 5
    Options
    I completely agree with doing Yoga! I tend to get a lot of back pain & also have sciatica. On the days when its really acting up yoga is the only thing that can save me!