Question regarding burning cals.

Options
I am needing some advice. My daily cal goal is 1,490 and I try not to allow myself to go over 1,500 a day. So my question is if I burn let's say 200 calories a day working out. Will I still lose weight if I don't allow myself to go over my calorie food goal? I subtract the calories I've burned from my daily amount so that I know exactly the amount left I'm able to eat while leaving what I burned as burned basically not eating them back. I don't wanna use oh look I burned 200 calories now I can have a larger dinner as an excuse. Will I still lose weight by doing this? I'm on an 8 day stretch and have only lost 1lb but put myself down for a pound a week on my settings so I guess it's working but wanted to get some other people take on it too.

Thanks guys?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed with a calorie deficit built in. So, if you exercise, it is meant to eat back what is burned. However, if you're using database entries for calorie burns, it's suggested to only eat about 50-75% of what is given as the numbers are highly inflated, generally. 1500 net is a good goal.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    MFP is designed with a calorie deficit built in. So, if you exercise, it is meant to eat back what is burned. However, if you're using database entries for calorie burns, it's suggested to only eat about 50-75% of what is given as the numbers are highly inflated, generally. 1500 net is a good goal.

So by keeping myself eating 1500 a day I should still lose weight ok?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Yep. Just make sure you're logging as accurately as you can. I lost most of my weight at 1650 net :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna use oh look I burned 200 calories now I can have a larger dinner as an excuse

But that's exactly how MFP is designed to work.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    Yep. Just make sure you're logging as accurately as you can. I lost most of my weight at 1650 net :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Awesome thanks.
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    That link answered my question thanks again.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how it works. I have over 5,000 calories some days but it's my NET calories that are important. As long as I meet my calorie goal it works great.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I swear, I thought the title was: "Question regarding burning cats"

I was like, WHO WANTS TO BURN CATS? Haha, I think I've lost it.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    This is exactly how it works. I have over 5,000 calories some days but it's my NET calories that are important. As long as I meet my calorie goal it works great.

I'm counting how many Talenti pints I could iifym with that *drools *
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am needing some advice. My daily cal goal is 1,490 and I try not to allow myself to go over 1,500 a day. So my question is if I burn let's say 200 calories a day working out. Will I still lose weight if I don't allow myself to go over my calorie food goal? I subtract the calories I've burned from my daily amount so that I know exactly the amount left I'm able to eat while leaving what I burned as burned basically not eating them back. I don't wanna use oh look I burned 200 calories now I can have a larger dinner as an excuse. Will I still lose weight by doing this? I'm on an 8 day stretch and have only lost 1lb but put myself down for a pound a week on my settings so I guess it's working but wanted to get some other people take on it too.

Thanks guys?

MFP's calculator is designed with the idea that you eat back your exercise calories, you definitely don't subtract your exercise burn from your total that is completely backwards...you add the exercise calories you burn to your goal and eat that.

If your goal is 1500 and you burn 200 in exercise then you eat 1700 to maintain your net of 1500.

The point is to maintain a stable deficit. 1500 is your goal which means it is what you should try to net daily.

I am fairly active so I'm typically eating 2200 to 2300 calories and I'm losing weight at about 1.3 pounds per week.