Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Big Butt & Tiny Bike Saddle

segovm
segovm Posts: 512 Member
Alright, I know I am not the only person here who has decided to lose weight by spending most of their exercise time on their bicycles so I thought I would toss this out there:

Is there any easy solution to the chafing that us larger folks endure on long rides?

I have a decent pair of bike shorts but as I get in better shape my rides are getting out to 50 miles or so and by 35-40 miles in I am having to straddle the saddle pretty awkwardly for a few minutes at a time. From past experience I know bike saddles are not really the most comfortable seats in the house but the weight related chaffing is pretty new.

Is there some lotion, cream, ointment that anyone has found helps a little pre or post ride?

I'll suck it up if needed since I know the ultimate solution is to lose the fat but was hoping there might be something out there that others have found works well.

Replies

• blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    You might want to use the Search function in the Message Boards section of MFP. I put in bike seat and a lot of information popped up.
    Good luck!
  • segovm
    Honestly, didn't even think to search for bike seat on here. I'll take a look, thanks!
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Hi there! I invested in a gel seat (about $20 - I got mine at Target) and that alone made a world of difference for me. Also, get yourself some Chamois Butt'r (http://chamoisbuttr.com/) - put it on before you ride. It'll help sooth that burn you feel. ;)
  • lori3472
    lori3472 Posts: 1 Member
    Body Glide works really well to prevent chafing with running. It looks like a deodorant stick.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Check out Chamois Butter or DZ Nuts. Good stuff! I say it's a must for anything over 15 miles.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    First off, you are pretty bad *kitten* for sticking it out despite the discomfort! There is a good likelihood that you will need to get fitted for a new seat (if you haven't already). Our bike shop had this fancy memory foam-like thing that they had me sit on to measure the exact width of my sit bones so they could pick out a seat that would be ergonomic. The shop was able to fit me on a $65 seat that revolutionized my ride!

If you're getting chub-rubbed, try an anti-chafe roll on like this: http://www.amazon.com/2Toms-Shield-Prevents-Blisters-Chafing/dp/B0017QH5LI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402361900&sr=8-3&keywords=roll+on+chafing

I like the ones with silicone in them as they seem to last even through the sweatiest of workouts.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    My husband smears Vaseline on his sensitive bits and invested in a special saddle, it has a hole in the middle to prevent pressure on the perineum. He says this has helped him. But he still gets some soreness on very long rides.
  • segovm
    You all rock. I think I'm going to try the vaseline first and see if that helps before I go spending too much money. Didn't even know there were entire product lines designed to fight this discomfort so feel much more encouraged now. No more riding my saddle sideways halfway home!

My goal is to get back up to real long rides but sadly it's my butt and not my legs that have been stopping me so far.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Butt butter...seriously. Google it. There are a number of different brands.

I started riding 2 years ago. Now 20 miles is a "short ride." My longest ride was 48 miles, with 35 being my average. I started with a wider seat and kept going narrower because it was more comfortable and there was less trouble with chafing. But I also use the butt butter every time I ride otherwise it's painful!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    I use bodyglide in areas that are likely to rub and chafe, it works great!