How much time spent and what in general is your routine?

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
Hi everyone,

I read a topic here where the OP asked about how people spend two hours in the gym. I'm one of those people who can and often does spend two hours in the gym . From what I gathered spending two hours in the gym isn't necessary but I don't really understand how I can get cardio + strength training in without spending this amount of time or close to it.

The two hours I spent isn't 100% dedicated to exercise either. It's checking in , finding a machine, moving between machines, cardio, strength , stretching and then checking out.

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong here. I wouldn't mind streamlining and understanding if I'm doing something unnecessary.

Thank You

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    meh- I spend almost 2 hours lifting- my program just takes that long- if I'm making it a cardio session I can almost get the whole thing in in an hour and fifteen.

How much cardio are you doing?

how much stretching warming up and cooling down?

I find those to take up more time than I like to admit- even with a 10 min warm up- 45 min lift and 10 min cool down/stretch- you're over an hour- add in any other bump in the road and you're easily into an hour and a half.

I don't know- I haven't spend just 45 minutes at the gym in a long time LOL
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Depending on what muscle group I'm doing, my lifting workout ranges from an hour to an hour and a half. I do between 6 and 8 exercises per gym session and 3 sets per exercise. My rests between sets is usually anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes on leg day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, generally 45-60 minutes a day, sometimes less. I alternate days of weight/strength training with a bit of cardio (usually a good walk with my dogs and/or a short kickboxing DVD), and running, so three days of each, always one day of rest.

I've had good success with this, and for me, it's what's sustainable because it fits into my lifestyle without taking up too much time from my family, etc.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think it is about what fits into your schedule and what you can sustain. Personally, I do anywhere from 45-60 minutes when I do cardio and about 30 minutes of strength training (depending on body part) per session, most of my workouts are either at the gym at my office during my lunch (which is an hour total - so walking there, changing, showering walking back are all included in that hour) and the other is after work in my basement, when I have other things to get done at night before bed. So anyway, I do what I can, when I can. Works for me.

If you are following a program and it is working for you then keep doing it.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and take a weight training/cardio class twice a week and workout at home with a DVD 4 days a week fior about 60-70 minutes..
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    90 min to 2 hours, including my 45 min of cardio, depending if I have to wait for a machine, or how tired I am that I have to rest between sets.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    meh- I spend almost 2 hours lifting- my program just takes that long- if I'm making it a cardio session I can almost get the whole thing in in an hour and fifteen.

I find those to take up more time than I like to admit- even with a 10 min warm up- 45 min lift and 10 min cool down/stretch- you're over an hour- add in any other bump in the road and you're easily into an hour and a half.

Cardio is around 30 - 45 minutes. Today for example is 10 minutes on elliptical and 30 minutes on treadmill. Warming up is generally part of my treadmill routine ( I thought ) and then I cool down within that same 30. I stretch after everything is said and done but no set time on that.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Then perhaps my 2 hours isn't out of ordinary.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    In context, I never use a gym, so for me:

Run of anything up to 10K is an hour or less
    Run of between 10K and 21.1K is up to about 2 hours
    Run of more than 21K is up to about 2.5 hours

I do one long, two medium and one short session per week at the moment

For a resistance session, if I'm doing it after a short run it'll take me about 30 minutes, if I'm doing a dedicated resistance session it'll take me between 60 and 90 minutes. That said that is elapsed time, the actual training time in there is significantly less.

If I'm rowing it can be anything up to an hour, and cycling is generally going to be 90-120 minutes on road, or it may be longer than that if I'm mountain biking.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I met with the free trainer available at the gym and he asked me about how long I could spend in one session. I told him between 60-90 minutes. So, he set me up with a routine keeping that time limit in mind. M, W, and F is strength training days. Followed by 20-40 minutes of cardio. I usually go on the high end of that, so those days it's closer to 90 minutes. T, Th, and S are cardio only days, so I try to get between 40-60 minutes in on those days. That doesn't include warm-up and stretching time. But I know I don't spend nearly as much time stretching as I probably should.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I generally spend an hour doing quality exercise - but that's just lifting. If I did cardio too it would be at least 90mins.

It all comes down to the quality of your workout not the time spent in the gym.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    For lifting I do a push/pull split 3 times a week and it usually takes about an hour, on all the other days I do a cross-fit type workout that goes between 45-60 minutes.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options

If you don't mind me asking what kind of program do you do?