Evening work outs good or bad!

Options
The last couple nights I've been getting home from work and doing a work out. Not as intense as my morning work out but I get my heart rate up. I was always against this thinking it would pump me up before going to bed. Last night I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and then chilled and was able to sleep ok. Does anyone else do a night work out routinely and have you found you can sleep ok? :wink:

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts whenever time permits. Evening workouts never keep me from sleeping. I have read that if you do them too close to bedtime that you may not fall asleep as easily. Everyone is different though. If that's when you like to workout and it doesn't affect your sleep then go for it!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    During the week I work out in the evenings.
    At first I thought the same thing, that it would keep me up.
    I think that it has actually improved my sleep.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i go to the gym for a 600-700 calorie burn right after work, thats the only time i can get in a work out. It does not effect my sleep at all. but not much would effect my sleep, i'm a champion sleeper.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i work mon-fri 9-5 so on those days i go directly from work to the gym for an hour so i generally leave the gym aroung 7 then eat something small for dinnner like vegggies and watch tv then go to bed. I am not a morning person and i go to sleep better and wake up feeling better. on the weekends i will go in the afternoon tho
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what time of day you workout as long as you workout. My best time of day is between 2-4pm but to make sure I get it in I try to get a run in after dropping the kids at school.

The only concern with night workouts is that it is recommended not to workout within 2 hours of bedtime for better sleep but sometimes a kick *kitten* workout, a quick shower and bed are a great combo. :wink:
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I always do my workouts after my son goes to sleep at night. I have found that when I work out at night, I sleep better and wake up easier.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work at 6:30 and I need at least a half hour between waking up and working out, so except on weekends, ALL my workouts are in the late afternoon/evening.

I've had nights where I had trouble sleeping, but 90% of the time, I don't have a problem falling asleep.
  • springbreeze72
    Options
    I heard it does help you sleep if not too close to bedtime. I get home at 7pm and go to bed at 930 and I am usually okay
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    They say you have more energy of a morning, but bottom line is. What ever you want to do is better than nothing. Just do what is good for you. No time is a bad time, unless your other half is waiting to go on a date. LOL
  • JuicyJBaby3
    JuicyJBaby3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I dont think I could ever wake up early enough to do morning workouts. I work a 9-5 too! Normally I come home, eat dinner, and then Im off to the gym. I burn anywhere from 700-1000 calories each night I go.. and after I come home, unwind, and go to bed.... ahhhhh I sleep like the biggest baby!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am an evening muncher so if I do my workout after work by the time I get home all I have time for is dinner, shower and bed...no munching!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I worked out last night for the first time - usually do it first thing in the morning. Slept better that I have in months so I'll try it again. Everyone is different, set your own rules.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The biology of working out tells me that it's beneficial to exercise in the evenings or just before bed.....Exercise releases endorphins, which make us feel good (less stressed and anxious). Exercise also stretches your muscles, which would help you to sleep better (esp. people with restless leg syndrome, like me!)......I'm all for working out in the evenings!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am an evening muncher so if I do my workout after work by the time I get home all I have time for is dinner, shower and bed...no munching!

Another plus! I definitely eat less if I work out later. I'm exercising for an hour or more, so no eating. Then I'm really not hungry for quite a while after I finish.

Generally, I eat when I get home, work out and then an hour or two later, have a smoothie and I'm done.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i personally can't due to an issues i have with getting over stimulated and not being able to sleep. however it you find it works for you, then great.

i want to note that you were only on the elliptical for 20 minutes instead of your typical hour plus. is this going to be enough of a workout for you? if not, i would suggest adding no more than 10 minutes for a couple of days, then add 10 more for a couple of days to make sure you are going to be able to sleep.

cheering you on!
  • ironmule
    Options
    I almost always work out in the afternoon/evening after I get home from work. The exception is the weekends since I have a m-f job. On those days I tend to do it mid-day. I've never had trouble sleeping.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I usually do my abdominal workout at 10:00 pm. I also find it helps me sleep better. I've heard some people say that it does the exact opposite for them.

I partially pushed back some workouts until later at night because I was trying to kick the late night snacking habit. Now, they are just what I do at night.

Good luck!

L.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I work out from 8-9 at night during the week (after the kids go to bed). Usually around a 500 calorie burn. Then I'm in bed by 10. I don't have any trouble sleeping.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like to run after work and lift weights in the morning... alternating days of course. I seem to sleep better if I run around 6-7pm and go to bed at 10pm.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Someone please answer this question. They say you should eat your excerise calories, and you shouldnt eat so late at night, so if you work out at night, do you eat some or all of your calories back afterwards or incorporate them during the day?