Cardio (Day or Night)

I have read a few articles; but have seen very few personal testimonials. Which works better: HIIT Cardio in Morning or Night, or does it not matter at all. Any personal experiences would be good

Replies

• fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    I'm a bigger fan of morning/afternoon cardio. I typically take pre-workout supplements before working out and I think that on top of the workout adrenaline would make it hard for me to fall asleep if I waited until nighttime to hit the gym. Also HIIT helps rev your metabolism for the rest of the day making it beneficial to be done earlier.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I have read a few articles; but have seen very few personal testimonials. Which works better: HIIT Cardio in Morning or Night, or does it not matter at all. Any personal experiences would be good
    Doesn't matter. It's your preference.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Running is probably more enjoyable in the morning or late afternoon when it's cooler. Indoor cardio can be done any time of day or night.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    I prefer going to the gym in the morning, but when it's really hot and humid weather like it is now I usually go in the evening instead when it's cooler.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    I always do cardio (run or DVD at home) first thing in the morning in a fasted state. For me it helps shed more BF than afternoon/evening cardio as I burn my existing energy stores, rather than burning calories from the food I've eaten during the day. The calorie burn also continues throughout the day. It's also nice knowing that my workout is done for the day so I can go home and relax after work
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    I swim 2km (45 mins) first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything. Don't know why, but that works best for me.

I do Kung Fu as well in the evenings twice a week, but these classes always leave me so hyped that getting to sleep those evenings can be tricky.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    I would battle with motivation to get up early enough to train before work, especially as we are now entering winter and a particularly cold spell, so afternoon / early evening gets my vote.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Personal preference and nothing more.... It is more important to pick the time that works best for you so as to make sure you actually get those workouts in..... Best of Luck
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Personal preference.

I prefer to go for a longer cycle ride (fasted) in the morning on the way into work.

This is so I have more time in the evening to do other things (like collapsing onto the bed or a chair after doing 50 miles on the bike that day, as rest and recovery are important as well).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

I have yet to see conclusive evidence that it makes a reasonable difference where you position it, if you're only referring to fat loss effects.

Personal preference should be one major factor, and within that/aside from that an important consideration would be the impact HIIT has on recovery and performance for the remaining days in the program, assuming the client is also resistance training. So the placement of it might have more to do with "where can I put this so I can still squat effectively" vs a hypothetical fat loss advantage.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Works better for what?
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Personal preference. I exercise in the morning because I'm too lazy to do it when I get off work in the afternoons.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    I also think personal preference. I like to wind down in the evening and have always been more of a morning person. I like to get it out of the way. I walk all day long and don't have much energy for a good workout in the evenings. However I skipped this morning so will attempt to fit something in tonight!
  • awoodfell1117
    awoodfell1117 Posts: 22 Member
    It's personal preference. I used to come home from work and workout at 11-12 midnight and then just fall right to sleep after my shower. Some people a workout hypes them up so they would rather workout in the morning rather than at night. It's all about what you wanna do, and what you feel is going to give you a better workout! (:
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    I do my cardio sessions when I wake up in the morning before my brain is fully functioning and reminds me how much I usually dread it :)
  • What works best is when you plan a time that you are more likely to want to do it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Is there some hidden info in the OP, that everyone else is getting?

Is it better for what?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

I have yet to see conclusive evidence that it makes a reasonable difference where you position it, if you're only referring to fat loss effects.

Personal preference should be one major factor, and within that/aside from that an important consideration would be the impact HIIT has on recovery and performance for the remaining days in the program, assuming the client is also resistance training. So the placement of it might have more to do with "where can I put this so I can still squat effectively" vs a hypothetical fat loss advantage.

As stated above, it's a personal preference and you should factor in your entire training goals, energy levels etc. Positioning cardio or any other training when you don't have energy or when it will negatively impact future training is counter-poductive. The best time for me may not be the best time for you, so basing your training time's on some else's results doesn't help a whole lot.

Also, as stated above, for those who swear by "fasted" cardio or placing cardio at a specific time of the day for optimal results, there is no evidence of training or cardio timing when it comes to fat loss or strength gains - train when you can fit it and when you can give the intensity required to do so.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    It doesn't matter. Whichever you prefer.

I do my cardio in the evening around 8PM, but that's only because I lift MWF at 5AM, so I refuse to wake up that early on my two cardio days (TTh).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Afternoon / evening for me