protein target

Options
MFP set my protein at 78g. I am struggling with meeting this goal. How important is it? How can I get that much protein? I already eat eggs, yogurt, chicken.

Replies

• sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    depending on how much you weigh and how much you work out, it should be about anywhere from 0.7-1 gram per pound of muscle you have.

I would say that 78 is pretty good. I think it's very important to meet the protein goal. Mine is set at 80 and I also struggle a lot to get there. I guess you could eat more chicken or more meat in order to meet the goal. If you're 10-20 grams off most of the time, don't worry about it but if you're only getting say about 20-30 grams on average a day, then you might want to consider taking some protein powder.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is the CDC suggestion. Women: 46 grams

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Given your height, weight, and body fat % it would be possible to calculate more accurately your needs--a typical goal is 0.5g per pound of lean mass--but yes it's very important to get adequate protein, because if you don't, your body will slowly begin losing muscle mass. Muscles are what help you walk, stand up straight, pump blood through your body, kick up your metabolism, etc.

Edit: The 2010 Dietary Guidelines also suggest 46g of protein for a typical woman your age.
  • groovyroom
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so it's tough for me too but soy is super high in protein. Trader Joe's if you have one nearby has these meatless beef strips that are super high in protein and if you sautee in a bit of olive oil are super yummy. That's what I'm doing and hitting my mark every time. You can also do a protein shake, just hit a heath food store and find one low in carbs that you can mix in soy or regular milk. :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The beef strip tip reminds me of Perky Turkey Jerkey! It's my favorite jerkey out there--super moist, low in sodium, and exceedingly protein rich! Unfortunately, the cost relegates it to being a special treat. :)
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    try PB2, just bought some at WM, like it so far :-)
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's a significant difference from MFP. I am averaging around 60. I picked up some almonds today and maybe I'll try adding another yogurt or egg or turkey jerky. I love jerky but shy away because of the calories.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a super great alternative. I always thought I was a carnivore all my life until I joined myfitnesspal and I realized I was sorely mistaken. I have trouble meeting my protein macro, but I think the protein powder has helped a lot.

It also taste amazing with milk.

I thought maybe .8 per lean body mass was reasonable. However, I don't know what my body fat % is, so I had to do a little workaround. I just took the lowest healthy bmi weight for my height and times-ed it by .8, which brought me to a 90g goal. I don't really reach it but I get really close most days, other days I'm over.