New mom, cant seem to get in exercise

Options
I need some motivation on getting my butt back in gear. I had my first baby 4 months ago and I only have worked out a handful of times since then. I have a gym membership and was going on my lunch break but that wasnt really working out, because I had to rush at the gym. I have no motivation going at night because I rather be with my baby; I work a full time job. Going in the morning like I used to just isnt an option. So needless to say, I froze my membership. Before I got pregnant, my only focus was exercise. I attended Spin class 3x per week and I hit up the gym at least 5 days a week, to do my strength training or what have you. I followed a healthy food plan... but when I got pregnant that all changed. I craved terrible foods and stopped working out after 4 months of being pregnant. I gained about 45 pounds and have lost 29 so far... however I think its from nursing because I havent done much. I still need to lose about 10-15 more. Im doing well with tracking/logging my calories, but I need to get fit. I have some work out DVD's that I love, Leslie Sansone. There are a few more; Id like to buy. I think my only option right now is waking up 30 minutes earlier to fit in my workout, which puts me at 5am. That is the time I'd always go to the gym back in the day, but now I cannot wake up. I have pretty much 2 full time jobs. I know how working out makes me feel, but why cant I do it? Any mommies out there with some advice/suggestions/motivation?? thanks for reading

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your new baby!!:happy: Though my son is now 18, I remember very well those early days of working full time & taking care of him AND trying to lose the baby weight. I think you are doing GREAT!! Don't be so hard on yourself. You have a lot on your plate right now (pun), so take your time losing that extra weight. You'll get there. Just do the best you can.
    Again, congratulations!!:flowerforyou:
  • paul100
    Options
    When my kids were babies I bought a bike trailer that converted into a jogging stroller. When they were small I fitted a car baby seat into the trailer.

This worked really well - I was able to go for cycle rides and runs with the baby. They would usually fall asleep from the motion, but if not seemed very happy in the trailer.

My wife was also a big fan, as it gave her a bit of a break from the baby.
  • turtlebaby
    turtlebaby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bike with my kids a lot also, but most pediatricians and biking experts will tell you to wait until your child is at least 1 year old before putting them in a bike trailer or seat. I'm a mom to 3 girls and we are so busy exercise at the gym has become a thing of the past. It does get easier as they get older, but something I love is Exercise tv. Mine comes with my cable package and is an "on demand" feature. It has tons of free workouts and I can almost always find something fun to do in whatever amount of time I have. You can even go on the website to print out free monthly workout plans that help you squeeze it in. But most importantly, don't beat yourself up! You will find a routine that works for your family-just keep on enjoying time with your little one. Congrats!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 21 months old and forever I just made excuse on why I couldnt work out...finally i put my foot down told my hubby I am going on treadmill...I usually get the baby all ready for bed, tub etc...and about 730 get on the treadmill and my husband has to watch the baby..you figure I am only asking for 45 mins of time maybe 4 times a week and its so I can be hotter for him so its the least he can do.
  • sltoye
    sltoye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What about exercising with your baby? There are some ideas on this site: http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/exercises-for-mom-and-baby.html but if you search "exercise with baby", you should be able to find more ideas.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby!! Working out with a new lil one in the house can be hard AND you work full time!! Analyze your priorities. Is it more important to you to get fit or spend time with your baby right now? Is your workout important enough to you that rushing to the gym during lunch IS worth it? If not maybe right now isn't the time to get back into exercise.
    If it IS important to you, make it a priority. Find 20-30 minutes here and there or even just 10 minutes. Don't try to put in a hour workout if you don't have that kind of time, but 20 minutes in the morning 20 minutes at lunch and 20 minutes when you get home is still an hour right?
    Also think about things you can do at work....squats at your desk, or maybe replace your chair with a fitness ball, take the stairs, walk around the building at lunch, calf raises on the stairs, wall push ups...you don't need a gym or gym equipment. You can workout anywhere.
    Best of luck to you, remember they are only little for a little while so enjoy it while you can :)
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    try exercising with your baby. I used to do push ups, over my son and it would make him so happy every time I came down and gave him a kiss. I used to lay on my back, and hold him up in arm, like a weight. and he loved that as well. or dancing. I used to just put music on, and we would dance. Your might still be a little big young, but in 2 months they will love this.

walking, and riding bikes work wonderful too. my kids love it.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above....if you want this you have to make the time...maybe you can't make it to the gym during the day because it is too much of a rush - but could you take a 1/2 hr lunch and walk around your work neighborhood???? 30 mins of walking is wayyyyyy better than doing nothing....or since your child is still an infant, after work, throw him/her (sorry missed that part) into the stroller and take a nice 30 min walk around your home neighborhood...moving your *kitten* for 30 mins each day will certainly give you the boost you need for your weight loss.....MAKE THE TIME.....if it is important to you, add it to you calendar and keep that appointment.....just because you are a new mom doesnt mean you dont need me time and if your me time is time to exercise then DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will be a better mom for it...
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Get a baby carrier, like this one: http://www.attachedtobaby.com/ProductImages.aspx?ProductId=34

and get out there and walk!

NO EXCUSES!!

You can make one of these from about 6 yards of fabric!
    Copy and paste this: how to make a homemade baby wrap
    into a google search...

NO EXUCSES MAMA!!! Get out there and take your baby with you!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    taking that first step can be hard. Just try and think of some little things that you and your baby can do together. Taking the baby out for a stroll is good for you and the baby.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    I have 3 children (ages 3,5,6) so I know how difficult it is to go to the gym and find motivation when you have to take care of others. Personally I found that leaving my house was a huge motivation killer. So I went to amazon.com and racked up on highly rated 30 minute videos and made sure I woke up about an hour before the kids for "me" time. I would have time to complete my 30 minute workout and get dressed. My day runs smoothly when I do this and it works for me. Perhaps it might work for you. Remember to KEEP IT SIMPLE:)
  • KristenY18
    Options
    Well way to go on dropping alot of the weight already :) Thats great! Also I must give you credit in that you only have 10 -15 to go and you have a 4 month old!!!!! I have a two year old and am just NOW getting on myself to lose those last "10". You need to give yourself alot more credit than your doing. Your have tons of changes going on in life. I agree with the earlier post....take your time. If you want to be home with that baby after work....do it! They dont stay small forever. What about getting a mommy and me exercise dvd ( i think it is yoga/pilates stuff). Alot of lifting of the baby I presume. I saw them at target....that way you are taking time for yourself to achieve your goals and also spending time with your bundle of joy :) Just a thought.......enjoy the baby :)
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Two things I wanted to point out.

If you make it seem like a choice between taking care of your baby and going to the gym, then there is a part of you that might blame the child some day if you wake and realize that you've gained a hundred pounds. It seems silly, but there are lots of cases like this out there.

Secondly, as much as we want to always sacrifice and put our children first, sometimes the best way to do this is to live healthy lifestyles so that they come to see those lifestyles as the norm. Your child is going to model you as she/he grows up. Sometimes the parent needs to take care of themselves first, and realize that a healthier happier child will be the result.
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    try exercising with your baby. I used to do push ups, over my son and it would make him so happy every time I came down and gave him a kiss. I used to lay on my back, and hold him up in arm, like a weight. and he loved that as well. or dancing. I used to just put music on, and we would dance. Your might still be a little big young, but in 2 months they will love this.
    walking, and riding bikes work wonderful too. my kids love it.

These are great ideas! Don't get into the mindset that you can only workout in a gym. Your days of working out away from home might have to wait awhile, but there are lots of little things you can do. Just figure out your priorities and do the best you can. Before you know it, they're not babies anymore!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby. Well it could be because you are worn out. I remember those days. Try to do a few small things. All the best to you.
  • SAMMIJAE
    Options
    when was you baby born??? I am in the same boat as you. My daughter is almost 4 months and i am stryggling as well. I always say i dont have time I know that I can squeeze some time in some where. I trid the waking up 30 min before and i felt great aftwards but I would have to get up arounf 4:15- 4:30 at the latest.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    I know I need to just do it! I've been wanting to go on walks every night but it just doesnt happen. I feel I have so much to do. Get home, make dinner, feed the baby, give baby bath, pump, make bottles for next day, go to bed!

Thank you for the replys, keep them coming. I really need to hear it. I love working out so much but just cant get my butt to do it. Im doing great logging my calories, so I know I can do great logging calories burned if I do it!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Congrats!!! She was born June 16th, 4 weeks early and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.

How about your bundle of joy??
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Your baby was born on my birthday! :bigsmile:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new arrival!!! I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, so what you're going through is VERY fresh in my mind :)

I agree with the poster who said you're doing amazing and you need to give yourself a break! 4 months old and you're back to work - that's nuts! (Sorry, I'm from Canada and we have a year off) Your entire world has changed, your focus every minute of every day is different. You are now eating/living/breathing for two people. Babies are a LOT of work!

My suggestion: do what you can and accept that this will take some time. My suggestions for "what you can" include walking, home exercise video's, maybe take the baby swimming (start 'em early!) and look into something like Salsababies (dancing with your baby in a sling!). I loved my Salsababies class with my first!

And as for that "take some time" thing....just you wait and see how fast time flies now that you have a kid. They're like little daily reminders of how fast time is going just because they grow and change so quickly.

So slow down, relax, do what you can and enjoy every minute!