Started using a lifting belt after a while...

Options
Warchortle
Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
Damn, makes hitting higher volume days / heavy days so much easier. I don't feel as taxed by the time I'm 1/2 done through my working sets. Definitely worth the investment once you're lifting 2x body weight+.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I've used a belt for so many years. I have a strong core and haven't compromised my back (have sciatica from an injury breakdancing) due to using it when I need to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When I see young guys wearing them, I think they're *kitten*.

Well that's a bit silly, if you saw a young guy pulling a 600lb Deadlift with a belt you would think he's a *****? A belt should be a training decision not an age decision.

I spit my training up between cycles of using a belt and not using one. The majority or the time I will use it but having a 6-8 week block not using a belt seems to really help . I also keep track of belted/beltless pr's.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Belts have their place - and that place is on your last set IMO if you're performing a pyramid. You get the core strengthening benefit for the first 2-3 sets and for that last set where you're really working the target muscle take the core out of the equation. I use the same line of thought for straps. There are guys that swear straps are for wimps or whatever but I really couldn't care less how strong my grip is. When I want to pull a serious deadlift and not concern myself with losing grip - straps it is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that you should not use them. But, I'm getting older, 49, and deadlifting heavy weight is starting to kind feel not great. I've been thinking about it for the added support. When I see young guys wearing them, I think they're *kitten*. But, I don't know, for me, it's starting to feel necessary.

Well- you are said half of it was a joke.

But belts are not for back support. most people use them wrong.
    They are for helping you brace internally- which is support- but not the support most people think when they think "weight belt"

I'm like MBeir's I use mine for my last sets. I typically will go as long as I can without it and as soon as I feel my abs not doing their job (bracing is a weak spot for me so it's easy to tell) then the belt comes on- there is no sense me dumping a weight or blowing a rep just because I was to proud to put the belt on.

When I got some coaching and he recommended a belt for me- he said after the first lift with the belt- you don't lifts without. (for that workout. I don't know how accurate that is- but it's seemed to be working for me.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that you should not use them. But, I'm getting older, 49, and deadlifting heavy weight is starting to kind feel not great. I've been thinking about it for the added support. When I see young guys wearing them, I think they're *kitten*. But, I don't know, for me, it's starting to feel necessary.

Well- you are said half of it was a joke.

But belts are not for back support. most people use them wrong.
    They are for helping you brace internally- which is support- but not the support most people think when they think "weight belt"

I'm like MBeir's I use mine for my last sets. I typically will go as long as I can without it and as soon as I feel my abs not doing their job (bracing is a weak spot for me so it's easy to tell) then the belt comes on- there is no sense me dumping a weight or blowing a rep just because I was to proud to put the belt on.

When I got some coaching and he recommended a belt for me- he said after the first lift with the belt- you don't lifts without. (for that workout. I don't know how accurate that is- but it's seemed to be working for me.

This. They're not for back support.

I do work both with and without a belt. Typically depends on what % of 1rm I'm working at.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I like having something to push my stomach against. I don't have it very tight, but once you get into the bottom position with a full breath it definitely fills out.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    So what do I look for in a belt. I've seen they have big wide ones and smaller ones. That's why I thought it was for back support, but it sounds like it's more for overall core support. It makes sense that you use it to push against. I could see that adding some support. And I like the idea of only using it on the last big set. This all makes sense. Thanks.

The back IS part of the core. If you use a belt properly and have the proper breathing/form to create intra-abdominal pressure, then your back will be supported more than if you don't use one. Where people get into trouble with weight lifting belts is thinking that a belt will protect your back from injury, which if you have crap form nothing will.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Right.

I've always viewed it as a crutch, not as a tool. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm trying to understand how it's not a crutch. If it's a tool, then I'm willing to learn how to use it. Just for the record, I'm also against straps and things like that that help you pull weight where without the straps, you wouldn't be able to do it. I want real actual strength. If I need to work on grip, I'll work on grip, I wont buy straps. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from in my head about things like that. I'm not knocking doing it. It's just not for me. I've been there done that with straps in my 20's.

IMO it would be a tool if I could lift more with it than without it. Not the case for me but may be for others. So, I wear a belt, and only for working sets of Deadlifts, for the reasons I stated above.

I do agree that straps or knee wraps (for Squatting) will increase the amount you can lift, so I would consider those tools.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I like having something to push my stomach against. I don't have it very tight, but once you get into the bottom position with a full breath it definitely fills out.

Thanks for the info about belts.

So what do I look for in a belt. I've seen they have big wide ones and smaller ones. That's why I thought it was for back support, but it sounds like it's more for overall core support. It makes sense that you use it to push against. I could see that adding some support. And I like the idea of only using it on the last big set. This all makes sense. Thanks.
    It depends on the person, but overall belts that are more uniform all the way around and not tapered are generally what strength athletes use. It's a tool to help keep your core tight, which in turn creates a safer position for your overall back. Staying tight is a queue some lifters have problems with and a belt just helps remind you. Older studies showed if you tightened all of your muscles for a lift (even ones that have no involvement) for some reason and it has to go to neural muscular efficiency and what not. It's been a while since I've gotten into the science, but there are a lot of things that don't make sense... like the color black tends to increase strength just like audibles.