I only eat freezer aisle foods

Options
If I don't eat fast food or takeout, it's a microwaveable that I know isn't good (like Kraft Mac n "cheese") .
People tell me that cooking is simple with the internet and I ask HOW
I will out in as much effort as I can this week to figure things out but I find that most recipes assume you have all the basic knowledge. I'm so clueless I don't even know how to shop for ingredients...because I usually can only afford to buy the ingredients for one recipe and the meal turns out just ok.

How are people like me ever going to learn?

Replies

• Badger618
    Badger618 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Make a list of your 10 favorite foods, google healthy recipes for those 10 meals. that should give you a good starting point. I love to cook , add me as a friend and I would be happy to help.
  • Harvardreject
    Options
    Simple, logical, and direct. I appreciate it sir.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Many healthy recipes and be mindbogglingly simple to cook and not time consuming at all.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    www.allrecipes.com is a pretty useful site for beginners. I try at least one dish a week, usually from that site.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Get the basic utensils (knife, pan, cuttingboard, spatula or spoon large enough to get hot things out of pan) and then it's good to get the basics like garlic, onion and a couple of chili (depends on taste, but they tend to add taste to everything). Salt, pepper, oil. Stove. Look up some videos about knifeskills. I'd recommend watching some cooking videos, like Jamie Oliver for example, to take the scary mystery element out of the experience. Then it's just a matter of looking up recipes and getting to it.
  • TimothyWHughes
    TimothyWHughes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's daunting isn't it? I was really useless in the kitchen and relied heavily on microwave meals. I bought a student cookbook from amazon which has healthy meal ideas and shopping tips for those on a budget, and the recipes are so easy to follow even I've managed to not kill myself :D

Stick at it. Good luck!
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm not the best cook, but I don't understand why you believe cooking is some momentous task. Sure, if you want to create big elaborate meals, but it doesn't need to be that fancy.

. Rub a chicken breast in spices, bake it. Boil some veggies and rice to accompany.
    . Cook other meats (lamb, fish, steak, pork - whatever you wish), and use some plain ole veggies and then pasta/rice/potatoes to go along with it.
    . Salads - mix different fruits or veg together, or both.
    . Omlettes
    . Even bacon, sausage, beans, mushrooms and egg can be 'healthy' if you grill them
    . Porridge with various toppings like fruit, nut butters, jams or just plain
    . Dishes like bolognese, chilli etc. don't have to be made completely from scratch - cook the mince, add in veggies and then use a store bought sauce. Yes, it isn't the 'best' option, but if you check the label before you buy you can do okay, and it's much better than frozen goods.
    . Generic red sauce - cook some veggies (I tend to use peppers, red onion, tomatoes and mushrooms) and then stick in the blender. Then I add chopped tomatoes in juice, tomato puree and herbs to taste. Blend away.

Don't over complicate it.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    My best friend is the microwave. Not because I can't cook, because I use the microwave for cooking and because I can cook a chicken breast and veggies in it in less than 10 minutes. Hahaha. Also another of my favourite kitchen tools is a wok. That thing gets smokin' hot! Stirfry in about 15 minutes. I'm a lazy cook so I tend to want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. :bigsmile:
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just buy fresh produce. I can guarantee the amount of money you spend on Packaged/Processed Food will be more than buying fresh Vegetables, Chicken etc etc.

If you struggle with cooking, then get a WOK.

Chop stuff up, throw it into a Wok, Add some seasoning - Instant Meal.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Just buy fresh produce. I can guarantee the amount of money you spend on Packaged/Processed Food will be more than buying fresh Vegetables, Chicken etc etc.

You....I like....
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/ has lots of good and easy and very budget-friendly recipe ideas.
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You tube is your friend, if you want to cook something look on there to see if someone has put a video on of how to cook it, its all about timings really, making sure you know how long each individual part of your meal takes and timing it so its all ready at the same time. Is there not someone who can give you some lessons that you know maybe so you can learn first hand? I hope you find something to help you, cooking is a wonderful thing when you master it.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Freezer foods can still work for you when making informed choices :)

I would suggest taking a cooking class if you would like to develop your skills, whether that is in an educational environment or if you have a friend who cooks at home (they don't have to be Michel Roux or anything!) you could ask if they would be willing to cook a meal with you one afternoon and develop some skills by working alongside one another.

You'll also find that a lot of older people are delighted to help for free, especially if you do the dishes afterwards!

Kaela x
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy a crock pot -- cooking is easy.
    Buy frozen veggies. They are cheaper and more nutritious than fresh ones.
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    YouTube? Cooking basics. Or step by step recipes.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    here is a really simple recipe for a pasta dish similar to a carbonara that serves 2.
    boil some spaghetti in a pan (a good tip for serving sizes is to form a circle with your thumb and forefinger, tips touching serves 4, index finger in the first crease of your thumb is 3, next crease is 2 and then there is a slightly less obvious crease that serves one, just put enough spaghetti in the pan to fill the necessary sized hole) driead pasta normally takes about 10 minutes.

while this is boiling crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk them up then add a tub of quark or extra low fat cream cheese approx 150/200g mix it well with the eggs.

in a large pan fry up approx 6 rashers of english style bacon that has been chopped into small pieces or a cup of bacon lardons no need to add oil as the bacon has its own fat just stir it to stop it from sticking don't overcook it but no worries if you do should take about 3 minutes try and time this with the pasta finishing

drain the pasta, turn the heat off under the bacon, add the pasta to the bacon pan and mix it up a bit then stir in the eggy mixture, keep stiring until the sauce is well distributed, if the egg mixture starts to scramble give it a very good final stir and serve. the heat from the bacon and the pasta warms the sauce mixture and cooks the egg but if you are pregnant etc this may be a dish to avoid just incase you undercook them (if they scramble they are well cooked but its not as saucy)

i use this recipe regularly and adapt it to suit by adding garlic and mushrooms etc it can also be easily halved or doubled. i hope you give it a try, remember not many of us are natural cooks its a case of trial and error.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to look at online recipes and go "whatttt...?!"
    You'll find though if you look up a couple of similar meals you'll have a lot of the same ingredients which cuts down on how much you need to buy of everything :)

Websites like SuperCook, let you search for recipes based on what ingredients you already have at home, which can be a helpful starting point for breaking into home cooking :)
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I second the wok idea. I eat some kind of stirfry almost every night. I just throw loads of veggies and some chicken or other meat(substitute) into a pan, add seasoning, toss it around for 5 minutes, done! With some meats (like ground beef) you don't even need to add extra oil.
    Super easy, quick, healthy and yummy ^^

You....I like....
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    yes, and a rice steamer too- theres nothing you cant do with a rice steamer !

super super easy ,
    also look up cooking for one recipes - or 5 ingredients or less meals ..
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I find going down the spices aisle at the supermarket and picking up the recipe bases is great. Tells you exactly what you need on the packet and they are usually super easy to make. The slow cooker recipe bases are my favourite but some of the quicker stir fry style ones are good as well.