Is pasta that bad/ fattening?

Options
Hi, I have children who love pasta for dinner, both under 3, so one night a week we have an early dinner which is spaghetti? Is this really so bad?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I eat pasta ALL THE TIME and it doesn't hurt my weight at all. Just keep it within your calories and it should be fine.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Nothing is bad in moderation, just remember your teaching them life long habits now though.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you eat and your overall daily calories in v calories out. No food is 'fattening'.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Anything is ok maintained in your daily intake! Moderation, not excess

weight loss is always math Calories in vs Calories out :)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No - it's all about portion control.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    NO!
    I love pasta and life would be sad without it.

Calories in calories out. Just get it in your calorie goals and you will be fine
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pasta is by no means bad or fattening. The sauce or extras you put on it, might. It could get you fat if you eat too much of it, or too frequently, but what you are suggesting is perfectly okay..just make sure you have one serving, and that it fits into your daily macros. It's important that you try and cook healthier versions of traditional pasta recipes (at least for you!), i.e. not adding cups of cream or cheese, fried bacon and so on..try using lots of veggies and lean meats, substituting cream for light cream/half-and-half or tomato sauce..this will keep you full longer without eating so much plain pasta!
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta all the time and I'm still losing weight. The key is that you measure how much you are eating so that it fits your calorie goals and macros.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and make pasta almost everyday for the family. I have 3 boys, now in their 20's, all skinny and they love pasta. You have to control the portion sizes and the sauces. If you smother pasta in heavy sauce, yes it can be fattening. Try to make your own sauce with simple ingredients----tomatos, vegetables, little meat,cheeses and, of course, extra virgin olive oil. There are so many recipes out there. Keep giving your kids pasta, but watch carefully that they are active and don't overeat. Best. :smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    No individual food is fattening, excessive calories are.

Pasta can get a bad rep because it's easy to over-indulge and eat to excess. If you fit it into your calorie goal and there would be no harm in eating pasta every day. Weigh your portion so you know how much you are eating.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would also like to say that with the low carb fad going so strongly, pasta is now considered a dangerous food--this is laughable in a country such as Italy. Sooner or later the fad will change and pasta will be a go to food again in America. I can wait it out. Italians have been eating pasta for hundreds of years and have had no health complications. :smile:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    No it's a good source of energy, just make sure you weigh out your portions as it's very easy to under estimate what you are eating
  • onelifemme
    onelifemme Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks - I do watch portion control and sauces ( I used to live in Italy) just no one at my gym will set it much...