Losing Weight During Perimenopause

Options
Hi everyone,
I recently joined MyFitnessPal and I already love it! What a great tool. I have found it very difficult to lose weight after 40 because of perimenopause. My metabolism has slowed to crawl. I am trying to curb calories while running, cycling, swimming and weight training. I'd love to hear more from women who are going through perimenopause, but have successfully lost weight or are trying to lose weight. Thanks!

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    yep that would be me, LOL. I am 47 and while it is harder to lose weight when you get older the key is the same as for everyone else, eating right and exercise. This is a wonderful group, stick with it and it will happen. I have been on here 112 days and I have lost 32lbs.
  • mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hi i am going through the same as you i am trying to loose weight while going through this stressful time is very challenging but i have found this site does help it shows how you are not alone

2522878.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I have lost 30+ since the end of July. It may take a few weeks to find your "sweet spot" for calories though. Might even be much higher than you think!

Good Luck!
  • ricksgurl
    Options
    Hello Madre,
    I am new to this site (only started about a week ago) and new to dieting as well. I have just started pre-menopause and I'm struggling with some of the symptoms, mainly the hotflashes and now nitesweats -I can't give you much info on either but I'm a good listener and would gladly be a support person!! I gained over 50# in about a year due to Fibromyalgia meds (which have since been changed) - I am somewhat limited in my exercises because of the Fibro, but I can usually bicycle and use an Elliptical (?) and do some of the Wii Fit games. I'd also appreciate any ideas you'd like to share too. :flowerforyou:
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    I hear all of your pain! At 40, it has been a rough past year...Oct 2009 had a tubal ligation, April 2010 had a Hydro-Ablation. While those really are simple procedures, my hormones have not decided what they want to do! I truely feel I am in the early stages of peri-menopause. My body does not want to let go of the weight! I am eating right, and have picked up my exercise routine...maybe this time, I will have found the "sweet spot"?!? Either way, it has been stressful to say the least! I just keep plugging away. Something has to give!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm perimenopausal and I'm still losing. Your best bet is to follow the recommendations of this site to the letter. Exercise DOES help... A LOT. I've been here 75 days and lost 22 lbs so far. Keep at it... you'll do great. One of my biggest issues is sodium. Make sure you're drinking PLENTY of water (I average 10-12 cups a day). Add me and we can support each other.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear! Same problem for me. I have lost 25 lbs but have been 'stuck' for SO LONG at the same weight now that I feel like I should just give up! But I wont.

I walk everyday for one hour on the treadmill and that takes about 400 calories. I'm thinking I need to do it for a lot longer to use up a lot more calories. I think my calorie limit is 1200. MFP keeps saying if I go on like I am I should lose "this much" weight in "this much" time, but it's not happening!

Menopause. blah. Plus I'm on medication that definitely puts the brakes on my metabolism.
  • GrammiBarb
    Options
    I had problems a few years ago too. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I lived through all the changes in metabolism, hormones and plain old "stay out of my way, men just don't understand".
    Hot flashes, or as my sister calls them, power surges, can make you want something to "help you feel better", but I found out that ice cream isn't the right answer. Keeping yourself healthy and active, makes it easier to live with the temporary, yet life changing time.

Barb :drinker: (Lots of water!!!)
  • cathyfigueroa
    cathyfigueroa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Suziblues
    Did you say your calorie count a day is 1200? that's what mine is and I weigh 140 did I read this right
  • angeladike
    Options
    hi i am 49 and agree with you totally. i am trying to lose and it is very hard compared to when i was in my 30s.
  • vette49
    vette49 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and been going through this for years, I know I have to keep trying to get the weight off or continue to gain. I want give up and will get the weight off.
  • MrsTLP
    MrsTLP Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm right with you too! I'm 48 and have been trying to lose weight on my own while going through menopause...without any success. I have new motivation since finding this site and support system. I have high hopes for you, me, and all of us here! We have to stick with it!
  • Madre2
    Madre2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    OMG. That's amazing! You should be so proud of yourself!
  • Madre2
    Options
    LOL. Right back atcha. :-)
  • Madre2
    Options
    hi i am going through the same as you i am trying to loose weight while going through this stressful time is very challenging but i have found this site does help it shows how you are not alone

2522878.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Awesome. Thanks for the support. Wish I had found this site sooner!
  • Madre2
    Options
    bump

LOL. Right back atcha!
  • Madre2
    Options
    It can be done! I have lost 30+ since the end of July. It may take a few weeks to find your "sweet spot" for calories though. Might even be much higher than you think!

Good Luck!

THANK YOU!!
  • Madre2
    Options
    Hello Madre,
    I am new to this site (only started about a week ago) and new to dieting as well. I have just started pre-menopause and I'm struggling with some of the symptoms, mainly the hotflashes and now nitesweats -I can't give you much info on either but I'm a good listener and would gladly be a support person!! I gained over 50# in about a year due to Fibromyalgia meds (which have since been changed) - I am somewhat limited in my exercises because of the Fibro, but I can usually bicycle and use an Elliptical (?) and do some of the Wii Fit games. I'd also appreciate any ideas you'd like to share too. :flowerforyou:

One of my dearest friends is struggling with fibro, and I know how it zaps your energy. I've been advising her for years to try weight training, even if it is with light weights. Though I have gained weight over the past couple of years due to a desk job (turns out that sitting for hours can literally kill you), I know I am firmer and stronger than I'd be otherwise due to years of strength training. Try using light weights when your energy is up, and combine it with cardio when possible.
  • Madre2
    Options
    I hear all of your pain! At 40, it has been a rough past year...Oct 2009 had a tubal ligation, April 2010 had a Hydro-Ablation. While those really are simple procedures, my hormones have not decided what they want to do! I truely feel I am in the early stages of peri-menopause. My body does not want to let go of the weight! I am eating right, and have picked up my exercise routine...maybe this time, I will have found the "sweet spot"?!? Either way, it has been stressful to say the least! I just keep plugging away. Something has to give!

Thank you! Your optimism and support are sure to help me along this journey!