Please help me: buy HRM monitor + wrist band, yes or no

Options
Zuzi80
Zuzi80 Posts: 21 Member
Hello guys,
I know there are a lot of thread about this topic!

The issue for me as I believe for most of the people are 2:
1- find the one that can track, or at least estimate the calories burned in workout gym session like circuit + wights lift or spinning etc
2- don't waste a lot of money for something that you are not capitalize on it (ie. the super mega Polar that tell you the altitude and so on....I'm not a climber or decathlonist ;))

I usually go to the gym 4 times 60mins each: 1 spinning, 2 times I do some aerobics and most weight lift + lounge + squat, 1 time with personal trainer (that basically try to kill me ;-))

So I've found something that maybe worth and will help my in track my calories as well is:
Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor with Heart Rate Monitor
At the moment is at a very good price on Amazon.co.uk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HFPOVE4/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

Please what do you think about?

thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the particular product but here's an in-depth review......

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-vivofit-review.html

a word of caution.........most HRMs are pretty inaccurate at estimating calories for anything other than steady state cardio.
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT80 a few weeks ago and I love it. It really helps me optimise by gym training routine.
  • Zuzi80
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the particular product but here's an in-depth review......

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-vivofit-review.html

a word of caution.........most HRMs are pretty inaccurate at estimating calories for anything other than steady state cardio.

Thank you so much, the review was really helpful and accurate. I found as well the part in which says:

"The Vivofit tracks calories throughout the day – including calories you would have burned for your metabolic baseline (being alive). This means that the calorie number you see on the unit is basically your daily food consumption target at that point in the day (to keep weight even).

To determine calories throughout the day it uses your steps in conjunction with the weight/age/gender to determine the burn based on the distance estimated.

Part of the appeal of the Vivofit is that it can pair with the HR strap to more accurately give you calorie burn while using the device for activities such as cycling (which doesn’t have steps the unit can track), or weight lifting in a gym.

In those scenarios where a heart rate strap is included, the unit uses a propriety algorithm within the device itself to determine calories. It does this using weight, gender and heart rate. Garmin is not using FirstBeat on the Vivofit, nor is there any caloric post-processing done up on Garmin Connect once uploaded."

Seems to be good enough....
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have a Pyle HRM watch and chest strap. I only use it for cardio and it needs vitals like age, weight, height, sex, and Vo2max. It seems pretty accurate and it was only $22 on Amazon.
    If you buy there, check out the reviews because people are super honest and the reviews are pretty helpful. I love mine and plan on getting one for my husband. :)
  • Zuzi80
    Options
    I have a Pyle HRM watch and chest strap. I only use it for cardio and it needs vitals like age, weight, height, sex, and Vo2max. It seems pretty accurate and it was only $22 on Amazon.
    If you buy there, check out the reviews because people are super honest and the reviews are pretty helpful. I love mine and plan on getting one for my husband. :)

Sure, actually I'm working for Amazon, so yes I know Amazon' customer reviews are really helpful :)