How often do you exercise?

Options
I have been exercising every other day, but on my off days I feel like I am not doing enough and I have a hard time staying within my calories. I have two kids and so it is hard for me to get to the gym more often than that. There is always something going on in the evenings and I can't go in the mornings. How often do you exercise and do you think that every other day is effective enough to promote toning and weight loss?

Replies

• ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Every other day should be just fine. Just watch the sweets, especially on your off days...
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I walk at least 5 days a week. For 60 minutes usually. Sometimes on a Saturday my walk may turn into 2-3 hours. Depending on what I have chosen to do.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I run 4 times a week and *try* to do toning 2 times a week. More often its 3 runs and 1 strength. Seems to be ok for me right now. I would say, if you feel like you are running low on cals on your off days, go for a chill 20 min walk- burns at least 100 cals which is a nice little snack or dinner boost. You can even take the kids!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i exercise everyday, why i don't know. even if it's only for a half-hour, i do something, even if it's not at my max, i do something. twice this week i had to get up at 5, well i'm up at 5 anyway, to get those workouts in. this week, i'm crusing on 30 minutes a day. hardly ever over a 300 calorie burn. tomorrow and friday i will have more time to exercise, so i'll put in more time. saturday is up in the air, but i will do something. even if it's a few minutes of strength training and abs.

every other day should be good enough along with eating well.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That's a good thought, why don't you try going for a walk on your off days? It may not burn as many calories as a hardcore workout at the gym, but something is better than nothing. Plus, it's a great opportunity for quality time with your family!
  • ssanchez41010
    ssanchez41010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only go 3 to 4 times a week! Just make sure you're hitting your target heart rate with the cardio and all will be good! . Oh try strength training while you do your cardio that will definitely help shed and tone the pds off and you'll feel great!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every day, normally walking. I find that working out in some ways, helps me from not being as hungry during the day. Also, I eat 6 times a day, and that also helps me from not being hungry.

I use to be one of those that only could think of food and always hungry. Glad that phase is passing.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, I logged 795 exercise minutes. The thing I felt guilty for listing was mowing the yard. I am taking a week off to rest.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I forgot to add that I work a full time job from 8-5 Mon-Fri, but I can try to squeeze in a short walk on the off days. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5-6 days a week, lately its been mostly biking 10-20 miles a day.
  • msepeta
    Options
    Some weeks I work out 4x/week. Other weeks, with so much going on, I only have enough time/energy to work out 0x/week.

Yep, I said it. I don't work out like crazy.

However, I do follow my net calories like crazy. So if I'm not working out, I stop eating the moment I get near my limit. This has meant that I stop eating by 1-2 pm on rare occasions when I have something tasty for lunch.

Just try to eat healthy foods if you are going to eat, and stick to your net calorie limit, REGARDLESS of working out.

At least that's what I've been shooting for.

And yes, I also have football Saturdays on occasion that blow the calorie counter out the window. It happens. But changing my health is a long term goal, so I dont worry about a day or two here or there.

Good luck.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising every other day, but on my off days I feel like I am not doing enough and I have a hard time staying within my calories. I have two kids and so it is hard for me to get to the gym more often than that. There is always something going on in the evenings and I can't go in the mornings. How often do you exercise and do you think that every other day is effective enough to promote toning and weight loss?

I train every other day, it seems to work a treat.

One day work hard, one day rest, one day work hard, one day rest........

A couple of years ago, I used to train six days per week, one day off. I used to fall unwell and get injured doing that though. I have found every other day seems so much better.