New to MFP! Hello All!

Options
Hello everyone! I am new to MFP and decided I would share my story for anyone interested. I will try not to ramble on but I will share my story for anyone who is interested. As a young child I was never over weight. Even into middle school and high school I dont think I was over weight. I remember in high school thinking I was fat because all of my friends were super skinny! Looking back at pictures now I want to slap myself for ever having those thoughts. I was very active with sports (played basketball, volleyball and softball) and also lived on a lake so in the summer we were always out swimming and staying active as well. My senior year I decided I wasnt going to play basketball and I gained a few pounds but nothing major. After High school graduation I decided to try some new fad of weight loss pills and actually lost a good bit. I was pretty happy with myself and my weight although I didnt really know a number because I hated scales. But as everyone talks about the freshman 15 in college I am pretty sure I put that on. Then came my 21st birthday... Ya after 21 it went down hill for 2 years. Going to the bar and drinking and then coming home and eating just kept putting pounds on. I moved home from college in 2006 at 215 lbs. I hated to see that number. I had always told myself I would NEVER be over 200 lbs and there I was 215. I busted my butt, eating smaller portions and healthier foods, working out as much as I could stand. I dropped down to about 179 and was pretty happy with myself for my efforts and kind of stopped really trying to lose (although I did still have some weight I would have loved to lose). I will admit that I had a shopping problem for a while lol and would but clothes if they were super cute and on sale even if they were too small because i would tell myself that one day they will fit, this will be my motivation to lose, my goal will be to fit in to these jeans. Well finally I fit into a favorite pair of jeans that I had never worn! I was super happy! I stayed right around that weight for a year and then in december of 2008 found out that I was pregnant. My first weigh in at 8 weeks along was 184. I dont remember what my weight was right before delivery but when I went to the doctor for my 2 month check up after having my son I was at 220. I have hovered around this weight now for just over a year and have decided it is time to make a lifestyle change instead of just 'dieting'. I stumbled across MFP on my cell phone while searching for apps to help me with counting my calorie intake. Once I signed up and found the site online I was hooked! It is getting easier with every day. I am starting to have a general idea of the calories in things I eat and have actually lost about 11 lbs! I quit drinking soda as well so I think that had something to do with it. Anyway, my overall goal is to be down to 140-145 by my wedding on September 10, 2011. If anyone has any tips or low cal meal ideas feel free to share because I am always looking for some new ideas! I know there will come a point that I will plateau and need to figure out something else at that point. Thanks for reading!

Brooke

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Brooke:

Hello and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on your decision to get fit and your progress so far! You'll find everyone on this site to be very positive, encouraging and motivating. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. :)

Also, if you're on Facebook, please feel free to check out the group I created over there, called Motivation. Many positive, encouraging people and helpful posts over that way, too! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra
  • msbutterflyjess
    Options
    hey brooke! im jessica. i am also new to mfp and looking for some great friends to keep me motivated! it makes it so much easier. all of my family and friends are supportive, but its nice to have others that are going through the same thing, bc its such a major lifestyle change. i know they get tired of hearing me talk about all of it. i almost feel like im aggravating them sometimes. lol anyways, feel free to add me. im a stay at home mom and im logged in for most of the day. and congrats on deciding to take charge of your life for good!!!! look forward to chatting w ya! oh, and i do have a few recipes that i pretty much eat on a daily basis and im real big on smoothies!