Body Recomposition - getting a big butt and thighs! Gargh!

Options
I have been on maintenance calories and really upping my strength workouts. At the moment I am trying to build up a good muscle foundation from years of being a cardio queen and only doing running as a form of exercise. I ended up with a very stringy physique, so I thought I'd change that to look more athletic and become stronger.:bigsmile:

To get to my goal I have currently been....

At the moment my workout routine is:
Les Mills body pump class x3 per week (lifting heavier and challenging where possible)
Spinning (working more on resistance than sprinting)
Core strength workout (again a Les Mills class and works with resistance bands and mat work)
Starting a HIIT workout this Saturday.
Running - probably about 5K once a week incorporating hills and sprints.

To measure my maintenance cals I use a Fitbit and for exercise I use an HRM. I am very vigilant with my food calories. I weigh, measure and if in doubt I overesatimate the calories.
I am mostly eating clean and have upped my protein a lot (which has taken my body a bit of getting used to :blushing: )
I have been doing the above for about 3 months

Anyway my query is, that I am gaining weight and my legs are getting thicker and basically I just want some assurance that this might be normal?
I understand that body comp is a looong slow process.

I have opened my diary for your perusal.

All advice welcome! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You mentioned fitbit and hrm - but these things are, in the final analysis, just approximations too.

If measurements/weight is increasing after several months of this eating style, then you're unlikely to be at maintenance.

Weight often goes up initially when you go to maintenance and weight can certainly go up when starting new and challenging training schedules as your body retains a higher percentage of water. But after three months, if your weight and measurements are still increasing, then you've either overestimated your TDEE/exercise burns or underestimated your food consumption (or a combination of the above).

I guess I would ask if your measurements are shrinking elsewhere and increasing in your lower body? Or are they slowly increasing everywhere?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 2.5 years using the Fitbit and HRM and it's been bang on, almost to the pound for that amount of time, I also leave a few cals at the end of the day for a margin of error - my diary is open so you can see.

The only thing that I have changed is my eating (cleaner, loads more protein) and I have dramatically changed my exercise routine from running to lifting and strength work.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Are you adding the HRM calories to what FitBit gives you? I know you've said you've been using both for awhile, but you also said you've changed your exercise routine.

HRM is supposed to be good for estimating cardio calories, but for classes like Body Pump it may be overestimating your burn.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 2.5 years using the Fitbit and HRM and it's been bang on, almost to the pound for that amount of time, I also leave a few cals at the end of the day for a margin of error - my diary is open so you can see.

The only thing that I have changed is my eating (cleaner, loads more protein) and I have dramatically changed my exercise routine from running to lifting and strength work.

If you're absolutely sure of your calories, then your TDEE is what you need to establish.

If you regularly exercise and have a schedule, then you're better off working out your TDEE and just eating that. Get a calculator to give you a first approximation and then run with that number for 2-3 weeks. Then see if you lost/gained and readjust your TDEE in light of the new data. Rinse/Repeat and you'll have it nailed.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If it's short term gain, it's possible you're retaining water to heal your muscles. Personally, I'm making an effort to maintain my butt as it seemed to get a little flatter when I started losing. It's looking better since I started lifting....I like big butts and I cannot lie.
  • stuffinmuffin
    Options
    If it's short term gain, it's possible you're retaining water to heal your muscles. Personally, I'm making an effort to maintain my butt as it seemed to get a little flatter when I started losing. It's looking better since I started lifting....I like big butts and I cannot lie.

I'm thinking this. I think because I'm lifting enough times each week I don't get the DOMS so much but muscles are definitely swollen after lifting.

I've also been reading that the types of squats I'm doing are the type that enlarge the thighs - quite long sets with reasonable weight (for me) about 20kilo's minus the bar. At least 20 reps per set in the way the Pump Class is designed.

Someone asked about HRM cals and they are low, low, low on lifting! Body Pump for an hour burns about 200 cals for me and normal 45minutes session about 150 which is what I'd expect.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. You mentioned your legs are getting bigger which means you're gaining muscle. You probably should be gaining weight (but it's good weight! The kind that will actually help you burn more calories while resting). It sounds like most of your workouts are weight type workouts opposed to cardio (which is fine). These type might not burn as many calories at cardio.

Oh and I read once that carbs are really good for helping your muscles heal, so your muscles might appreciate some carbs along with the higher protein. But whatever works. I have researched on the internet but never talked to a doctor or other professional about this stuff. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer but none of what you mentioned for exercises are gonna build much for muscle...

Most of it is cardio in some form or another. Including the body pump classes.

To gain any appreciable amount of muscle you need to eat at a surplus of maitenance and do a progressive load lifting program...

I am not saying resistence bands etc aren't good for maintaining current muscle mass but it will be very hard to even do a recomp using them.

Anything over 12 reps is for muscle endurance realy esp if the weight doesn't challenage you...after 8 reps.

And if you are lifting heavy weights you can't use a HRM to calculate the burns...that is for steady state cardio only.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    How do you expect to build muscles by doing cardio?

I see cardio, harder cardio, and cardio with weights. Where is the actual strength training?

The 3 factors that lead to growth (you should be hitting all 3 on a muscle gain program) are muscle tension, metabolic fatigue, and muscle damage. Tension comes from working with high loads and getting stronger, fatigue comes from volume working to/close to failure, and damage comes from the moving heavy loads, especially the negative part.

Your program might hit the metabolic fatigue factor to a degree if you are really pushing your limits, but that's about it.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with above body pump is not going to build muscle. 20kg squats is not giving you a big butt and thighs. You should look to a lifting program like starting strength.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I'm thinking this. I think because I'm lifting enough times each week I don't get the DOMS so much but muscles are definitely swollen after lifting.

I've also been reading that the types of squats I'm doing are the type that enlarge the thighs - quite long sets with reasonable weight (for me) about 20kilo's minus the bar. At least 20 reps per set in the way the Pump Class is designed.

Someone asked about HRM cals and they are low, low, low on lifting! Body Pump for an hour burns about 200 cals for me and normal 45minutes session about 150 which is what I'd expect.

No exercise is going to enlarge your thighs without a surplus of calories.
  • stuffinmuffin
    Options
    So many different responses. And yes body pump is a form of cardio, but with a heart rate average of about 90 I wouldn't say it's a great form of cardio and it's strength incorporated - a lot more than I was doing before (nothing). As stated here and on my profile, I am currently trying to build a bit of strength foundation and I love my pump classes, so why not do something I'm currently enjoying. I do want to advance to a heavier lifting programme in the future, in my own time.

My arms are looking toned (they hung like lank chipolatas before) and I actually have butt muscles now when I tense so whatever I'm doing seems to be doing something - my strength has increased.

I think because I was doing NO strength before and have a very slight (weedy - by the time I'd finished weight loss). I should point out that I am 109lb and 107lb before starting the new exercise regime.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    So many different responses. And yes body pump is a form of cardio, but with a heart rate average of about 90 I wouldn't say it's a great form of cardio and it's strength incorporated - a lot more than I was doing before (nothing). As stated here and on my profile, I am currently trying to build a bit of strength foundation and I love my pump classes, so why not do something I'm currently enjoying. I do want to advance to a heavier lifting programme in the future, in my own time.

My arms are looking toned (they hung like lank chipolatas before) and I actually have butt muscles now when I tense so whatever I'm doing seems to be doing something - my strength has increased.

I think because I was doing NO strength before and have a very slight (weedy - by the time I'd finished weight loss). I should point out that I am 109lb and 107lb before starting the new exercise regime.

I understand that compared to what you used to do, Body Pump is strength training to you. But -speaking from experience- you aren't going to get legitimate muscle growth from it. It is a resistance cardio workout, it builds endurance, not muscle. You may get slight muscle/strength gains in the beginning, but there is only so much weight that you can squat to a 3 minute track time after time before it will stall. You need to get into an actual heavy lifting program that incorporates sets & rest periods, lifting your max for each set of reps.
    When I initially lost around 35lbs a few years ago, I did Body Pump and Zumba. After I hit my goal loss, I hit the weight room with a vengeance to start gaining muscle. Believe me, there is a difference in the two.
    Body Pump helps condition your muscles, but it's not going to give you consistent gains. If you're looking to add muscle/volume to your butt & thighs I highly recommend getting acquainted with the weight room.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I understand that compared to what you used to do, Body Pump is strength training to you. But -speaking from experience- you aren't going to get legitimate muscle growth from it. It is a resistance cardio workout, it builds endurance, not muscle. You may get slight muscle/strength gains in the beginning, but there is only so much weight that you can squat to a 3 minute track time after time before it will stall. You need to get into an actual heavy lifting program that incorporates sets & rest periods, lifting your max for each set of reps.
    When I initially lost around 35lbs a few years ago, I did Body Pump and Zumba. After I hit my goal loss, I hit the weight room with a vengeance to start gaining muscle. Believe me, there is a difference in the two.
    Body Pump helps condition your muscles, but it's not going to give you consistent gains. If you're looking to add muscle/volume to your butt & thighs I highly recommend getting acquainted with the weight room.

Here is your answer OP
  • jsmommy1999
    jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if this worked itself out for you? I have exactly the same thing going on. I am a small girl like you and two months ago I changed from way too much cardio to bodypump, lifting, and kettlebell workouts. My goal was to maintain but to increase my metabolism (which had kind of stalled) by adding muscle. I have gained 3 pounds and while my upper body looks great, my thighs and butt are bigger and I hate it! Just wondering if it was water and it all worked itself off, or if you were eating too much?

Thanks!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    too much cardio.

not enough lifting.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves.

body pump is nice- but it is 100% NOT going to cut it for what you are looking for- seriously- it's still cardio. it's just cardio with hand weights.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    What were your thigh measurements before you started? Now?

It's probably a little glycogen and a lot of misperception. It is common when you start new programs. You're incorporating some strength with the Les Mills, but it isn't a heavy lifting program. What exactly are your goals? You don't necessarily to be on a heavy lifting program to achieve good results. There are many ways from Point A to Point B.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with big thighs? :explode:
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it sounds like you are getting fitter and pushing yourself :). However, if you want actual body recomposition you are going to have to take the advice from some of these posters; you have got to do some strength training.

Its great that you like body pump, and maybe that has helped you feel more confident with a different type of exercise. But to gain muscle I really think you need to pick a beginner's lifting program.

I am a new lifter (started a few months ago with a break here and there). I love running and zumba, they're fantastic for my heart health and mental sanity, but they don't do much for my body composition except give me more calories than I'd otherwise get. The lfiting? Perhaps was first intimidating but after session 2 I was hooked: I have thin and kind of short arms and very weak upper body but the other week a relative told me my shoulders looked like a swimmers! My running has gotten more effortless, and the feeling of lifting something that looks "too heavy" over and over again makes you feel amazing!

Give it a try lady! I do Stronglifts 5x5, because its super easy to understand, lots of free online resources, and they have a handy app that I can log workouts and use to remind me what to do on which day. Check out the women's stronglifts 5x5 group, lots of amazing, strong, athletic, and gorgeously fit women in there.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer but none of what you mentioned for exercises are gonna build much for muscle...

Most of it is cardio in some form or another. Including the body pump classes.

To gain any appreciable amount of muscle you need to eat at a surplus of maitenance and do a progressive load lifting program...

I am not saying resistence bands etc aren't good for maintaining current muscle mass but it will be very hard to even do a recomp using them.

Anything over 12 reps is for muscle endurance realy esp if the weight doesn't challenage you...after 8 reps.

And if you are lifting heavy weights you can't use a HRM to calculate the burns...that is for steady state cardio only.

My thoughts exactly. I had to look up Body Pump to see what it was and while it uses weights, it's still a cardio/endurance program. Look at some progressive lifting programs if you're serious about body recomp like 'NROL for Women' or 'Stronglifts 5x5' and eat at a slight surplus with adequate protein intakes for muscle building. Good luck.