Should you change

Options
lqichick
lqichick Posts: 162 Member
When I started MFP I had a lightly active life style and that is what I but in my info.

Now I am exercising at least 3 times per week, so do I change that setting? THX:smile:

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What a lot of people do is just enter their workouts manually.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What does your day look like other than the times you exercise? And how long do you plan on exercising for? The settings provided are usually for an all day type of lifestyle so a few shorter, lighter exercises aren't enough to really need to go any higher than your previous setting unless you are on your feet all day or have a somewhat active job. I train 5 times a week but have a desk job so I only put it as moderately active because most of my day I'm sitting around and only lifting for an hour or so each day...not really enough to say that I'm "very active."
  • GeneralScamp
    GeneralScamp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take it as more about your working life rather than the workouts you might do each day. I exercise regularly but as I work full time in an office in typical working hours I set mine to 'Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting' as per the examples - bank teller, desk job etc.

I think your workouts should be added manually (or via a tracker app), and your account setting should reflect your general working life for those that work, and equivalent for those that don't.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    easy answer no.

MFP operates based on the premise of NEAT...Non exercise Activity Thermogensis. Which basically means your activity level is set based on what you do pre exercise.

Then log your exercise and eat back 50-75% of those calories to fuel your next workout.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    If you eat back exercise calories, then leave it alone. Log it in as exercise when you do it and eat accordingly to NET whatever you need to.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey gang, thanks for the info.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would just yet. See how it goes. If you start getting hungry, then add the exercise manually. When that becomes a bit monotonous, then change it.

Of course, I'm going to suggest too that you get a fitbit or other activity monitor to help assess just how much you're burning vs. taking in.

My husband does P90X workouts. The first time he did it, he didn't have an activity monitor and constantly complained about being hungry. I told him he was burning too much more than he was taking in and should eat more. Of course, he didn't believe me.

Last week he realized he has "Fitbit" technology on his phone....so he set it up and started up P90X on about 10 days ago. Then he SAW just how much he was burning and couldn't believe it - it SO explained why he was so incredibly hungry. Now, he's paying attention more to the data, and he's able to adapt his food options to cure the hunger beast.