All I do is Run!

I want to do more to help my weight loss but all I seem to be doing is running. I am by no means a gym rat - not much into lifting weights. I'd like to get opinions on what I could do to balance my workout routines instead of solely depending on running. I have started biking a couple days a week.

Look forward to hearing from everyone!
Christian

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    I originally ran for weight loss but the further in distance I ran the less I lost! I started to incorporate at-home workouts like Turbo Fire to switch things up a bit and it helped me to break through that plateau and get me to a 100lb loss!

Feel free to friend me and we can chat about it! :)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I started out distance running, lost a lot of lbs. , then it stalled until I started weight training.

If you're hell bent on running only get a weighted vest and run with extra weight 1-2x a week. I only run weighted anymore on weekends for 2-3 miles max.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Get yourself on a progressive body weight strength routine like You Are Your Own Gym. There is a book and an app. That way you can still run, but also work on building some strength in about 30 mins 4 times a week without having to fit in actual gym time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Get yourself on a progressive body weight strength routine like You Are Your Own Gym.

This. runners need to have some resistance training, largely it helps avoid injury but also helps with running performance. It need not be much, I do a couple of sessions per week and that serves my purposes.

It really depends on your objectives, for me it's about running performance but if your goals are different then a different balance might be more appropriate.

fwiw I find resistance training boring as hel, but bodyweight is something that I can adapt and fit into my programme. I'm comfortable to run 5km out to the park, spend 45 minutes doing resistance training out there and then run home.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    All I do is run too. I'm forcing myself to strength train so I can be better at running. Just do what you enjoy :smile: