Knees hurt when I jog! Solutions?

Options
2»

Replies

• redlionny
    redlionny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion. Don't jog. My right knee is a disaster when i jog/ run and I couldn't take it anymore b/c I knew I was going to end up doing serious damage to it. I have since started taking spin class.... and I love it (find an instructor you like) and it's so less stressful on my knee -- plus I sweat more and burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. I really recommend. Also, my trainer suggested that I do kettleball swings more -- just the basic swing and that works my legs, tushie and gets the heartrate up (seriously). Just make sure you are doing them correctly.. it took me many many many times to get the movement right -- looks easier than it is.. so that my arms are doing less work and it's all coming from legs and hips... trust me.. you can feel the difference when done right.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yep I noticed that even just the change in running style increased the cadence but I will be more aware of it going forward!
    :-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion. Don't jog. My right knee is a disaster when i jog/ run and I couldn't take it anymore b/c I knew I was going to end up doing serious damage to it.

Equally I've had reconstructive surgery on knees and ankles and running has made a hge difference to stability and endurance.

For many years I struggled to run without pain, but once I'd taken more time to understand the best approach it's gone very well.