An Vegans Out There?

Options
13»

Replies

• JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. Purely ethical reasons. Been vegetarian before, but not sure what I've gotten myself into with this. If I get sick, tired, or gain weight, Bessie is back on the menu. With that said, feel free to add me.

Wait, what?
    It's an ethical reason but you'll go back to eating meat? Just trying to understand. I know some people that went vegetarian and they actually developed a food allergy to beans, so I can understand that. Have you done much research on what you'll need to make sure you'll get nutrition wise? I say this because I know tons of people that have gone vegetarian/vegan and didn't know what they should be doing and didn't get proper nutrition (I was probably one for a long time since I started being a vegetarian 24 years ago).

If I get sick, of course I'll go back to eating meat. Ethical and willing to die to not a eat a cow are two different things in my book. I have done the research, even taking a multivitamin, too, just in case.

Meat doesn't contain any magical health supporting properties. Going vegetarian does not cause illness, and eating meat doesn't shield you from death.
  • 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, in the sense that I do not eat animals (nothing, no fish or poultry either). I do eat cheese, dairy and eggs and stuff tho. I'm always looking for vegetarian friends with open diaries for some more inspiration!
  • mitzigee
    mitzigee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my entire life - from birth. I am pretty much vegan, but I do still eat cheese. Since I've been vegetarian my whole life, I don't have a lot of ethical issues about it - this is just my way of life and I like it this way. My family eats meat, I cook meat for them, but I do not eat it. But also, my family ends up eating vegetarian and vegan dishes many times a week. :flowerforyou:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. Purely ethical reasons. Been vegetarian before, but not sure what I've gotten myself into with this. If I get sick, tired, or gain weight, Bessie is back on the menu. With that said, feel free to add me.

Wait, what?
    It's an ethical reason but you'll go back to eating meat? Just trying to understand. I know some people that went vegetarian and they actually developed a food allergy to beans, so I can understand that. Have you done much research on what you'll need to make sure you'll get nutrition wise? I say this because I know tons of people that have gone vegetarian/vegan and didn't know what they should be doing and didn't get proper nutrition (I was probably one for a long time since I started being a vegetarian 24 years ago).

If I get sick, of course I'll go back to eating meat. Ethical and willing to die to not a eat a cow are two different things in my book. I have done the research, even taking a multivitamin, too, just in case.

Meat doesn't contain any magical health supporting properties. Going vegetarian does not cause illness, and eating meat doesn't shield you from death.

Nope, meat is not magical, except that pesky B12, which I assume I'm well stocked up on for years because we store it for a good while. Just in case, I am taking a multivitamin.

As a former lacto-ovo vegetarian years ago I had to be more mindful to get everything I needed, especially when running a calorie deficit. I'm a picky eater. But I'm branching out this time, even if I'm going all-out with no cheese or eggs. I'm eating a wider variety of food than ever and staying away from the processed veggie patties (I did buy some tofu, but it's not going to be the staple of my diet like it used to be). For the past two days I've felt pretty darn good. Maybe that one day was just a fluke.
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm not strictly vegan, still eating eggs and cheese, drinking milk and eating fish.

Pescetarian, that is the word you are looking for.

Lacto ovo Pescetarian?
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Join the groups Happy Herbivores and Team Vegan for lots of like minded friends x
    I belong to both those groups. Been vegan for a year. Ethical & health reasons. No "Bessie" or "Porky" for me!
    Friend request going your way :)