Is it possible to lose 50 lbs in 6 Months?

Options
I'm a newbie here and just started my diet yesterday. I was wondering if it's possible to lose 50 lbs in 6 Months? If so please share some stories!

Replies

• sdps720
    sdps720 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    it is totally possible to loose 50 in 6. I consistently loose 10# each month with dedication to working out and a calorie deficit.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It's possible but I don't recommend it. You can lose 2 lbs per week (the do not exceed amount) and lose 48 lbs in that time but it will be strict.

Better plan, shoot for 1 lb per week and aim to lose 24 lbs in 6 months. The change to your diet will not be drastic and you can start incorporating a small amount of exercise and get better used to it.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Everyone will suggest at most losing 2 lbs a week and then once you get close to your goal slowing that down to a pound or half a pound per week.

So 50 pounds is probably doable but arbitrary deadlines are about the surest path to failure since you'll miss some milestone or cheat along the way, feel hopeless and then give up completely. Happens all the time to the best of us.

Honestly you shouldn't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do the rest of your life and if you are going to do it for the rest of your life why place a short term date into a lifetime solution? Follow your plan and you'll be healthy forever, not just over the winter holidays.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    dude in my town (and MFPeep) lost 90 lbs in 90-ish days--got a write-up in the paper here a while back. he was killing it in the gym (almost killed himself, from the sound of the article) and eating right. this kind of result is ONLY possible with the strongest of dedication to making the best choices. but it is possible.
  • linztx
    linztx Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here and just started my diet yesterday. I was wondering if it's possible to lose 50 lbs in 6 Months? If so please share some stories!

I sure hope so, but it will take dedication and consistency because I am striving for the same goal; Good Luck to you in your journey!
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Quite a few years ago I lost 30 pounds in 3 months- I never starved myself, still ate about what I wanted. Just watched portion sizes and exercised regularly. I did gain the weight back, but only because I got lazy and started eating bad again and stopped exercising.
    I recently started getting serious again. I have lost 10 pounds in about 2 1/2 weeks. Again, I am not starving myself. I have even had pizza three times during the past 2 1/2 weeks. But I am eating a lot of fruit and salads. I am drinking mainly water - have had no pop in over a week. And I'm trying to exercise regularly (still need to work more on this!)
    I know it will slow down eventually. I would caution against trying to lose a lot in a short period of time. If you want to keep the weight off, you have to change your lifestyle.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose in the first place. I lost 100 pounds in 9 months.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm down 34 in 51 days so far, so sure, don't see why not.
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss, I lost 30lbs in 95days with little eating changes, no weighing food but working out 4-5 times a week and I did not have that much weight to lose (45 overall to go from mid/ high range for overweight to mid/low range for healthy weight) but it has taken me over 50 days to lose the next following 10lbs (still working on it) and god knows how long for the last five.

So my answer is that it really depends on how much weight you have to lose but if your ultimate goal weight will be 60lbs from now and it puts you well within a healthy body weight, the second half of the weight loss will be the most difficult and can slow you down. But it is possible.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Maybe? However that's kind of pushing it. Set yourself up with a more reasonable goal, that way you are much more likely to be happy with the results.

Setting lofty expectations you don't end up meeting can be very discouraging.
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very possible.... depending on your starting weight. I lost my first hundred pounds in a little over 6 months. Of course, I started at about 400 pounds.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    One thing not being mentioned here is it kind of depends on how much you have to lose. The larger you are, the easier weight will come off initially.

I don't want to discourage you from being disciplined and going hard, but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Eat sensibly at a calorie deficit, go to the gym if you feel like it, and take it one day at a time. This is a lifestyle, so try and make changes that you can stay consistent with long after six months.

Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, yes, its possible (or at least its possible to come close). But, I really don't like setting these types of goals because they create expectations .... and when you create expectations and start to fall off the pace, it tends to cause you to get discouraged.... and when you get discouraged, you lose focus and start making unhealthy decisions again.

This is my approach. I try to make the best decisions I can each day, knowing that by doing so I'm making progress towards my goal. I have some days where I don't make great decisions, but I don't stress about it. I know this is a lifestyle change and I'm going to have some bad days. I also know if I stress about a bad day, I'm more likely to have more bad days because I'm stressed. Ultimately, I know that if I make healthy choices a large majority of the time, I'm going to achieve my goal IN TIME. Does it matter when? Heck no because this is a lifestyle change. This is not a diet and I have no end date. This is about me learning to live a healthier life...not just for the period of time I'm losing weight, but also so I can learn to sustain the weight loss when I reach my goal....whenever that is. I believe that you will make more progress with this mindset than by trying to create expectations for yourself.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Another factor is how much weight you have to lose. Someone who is 200 lbs probably couldn't lose 50 lbs so quickly without using dangerous means. However, someone who is 300 lbs probably could.
  • leahslife1
    Options
    it depends how much you have to lose. i have lost about 40 pounds in 4 months. the first 20 came off very quickly (like 6 weeks). The next 20 took 10 weeks. I plateued for about 3 or 4 weeks in that stretch and then started losing again. I have another like 30/35 to go which i am hoping to do in the next 3-4 months. I did, however completely eliminated all sugar, wheat, grains, processed food and dairy except for greek yogurt. I have kept calories to 1200 per day. Mostly produce with good fats (1/4 avocado, chia seeds etc) and a little protein at each meal (egg whites/eggs/3 oz salmon/chicken etc). Lots of water and I work out 6 days per week.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 in three months so yes...
  • etremoi53
    etremoi53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So much depends on the variables. How much do you have to lose? How old are you? What gender are you? Are you disabled at all?
  • candyzlife
    candyzlife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 pounds since May 2nd, today is day 39, I'm really hoping to keep this stamina up! I would love to add some friends though, anyone on this post looking for a new mfp buddy? I'm 29, female, with over 100 pounds to lose. :) Thanks! And best wishes to everyone here!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Easy to do if you have a good solid plan, consistency and support.

I see it happen all the time...