No matter what I do, I can't lose weight/inches

Options
I dropped fastfood 2 months ago (which was 2-3x per week plus starbucks lattes several times a week) I stopped eating processed foods and only eat fresh or frozen veggies, fruits, chicken, turkey and shrimp. I also tried making a protein meal replacement shake daily. I make sure my portions are right. I exercise good enough to get sore the next two days and I'm still sitting at the same numbers. I'm 28 yrs old, 202 lbs 5'4"
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited to add: I also drink 100 oz. water daily. I take a prenatal vitamin because it was recommended by my doctor. I had my blood checked. Nothing wrong with cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    are you counting calories or just cutting back? cutting back is a good start but unless you count calories you cant be sure that you are eating an amount of food that will facilitate weight loss
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food and staying within your calorie goal?

Including veggies, cheat meals, condiments, cooking oils, etc?

Are you using a food scale? Measuring cups/spoons? Or estimating portion sizes?

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories, and if so what are you using to estimate your burned calories?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would recommend logging your food.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You might try using your diary to count calories! "Healthy" foods still have calories, and you could still be eating to many to lose weight.
  • niki108
    niki108 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking my calorie intake. I was actually on the 21 day fix plan (healthy eating and portion control containers) for 10 days so there wasn't a need to count them. the calories that I'm allowed does take into consideration the daily workouts that came with the program. I don't do any other exercises.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Then you must be eating more than you think.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking my calorie intake.

Found your problem
  • niki108
    Options
    Then you must be eating more than you think.
    That's what I was thinking. But everyone swore that I should eat all the required containers every day.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking my calorie intake. I was actually on the 21 day fix plan (healthy eating and portion control containers) for 10 days so there wasn't a need to count them. the calories that I'm allowed does take into consideration the daily workouts that came with the program. I don't do any other exercises.
    yea unfortunately its not quite that simple. if it were then much less people would be overweight. some people are lucky enough to be able to eye out portions well enough so they happen to be in a calorie deficit, but most arent. counting calories is the only surefire way to lose weight
  • niki108
    Options
    I was allowed to have 5 servings of protein, 3 fruits, 4 complex carbs, 5 veggies, 1/4 cup of healthy fats and 5 tsps of olive oil, PB etc... And that was based on my weight and exercises
  • JTick
    Options

But there is a need to count them. You can eat "healthy" all day long and still not lose weight. Some fruits and veggies can be quite calorie dense.

ETA: You seem to recognize that something isn't working, but you don't seem willing to start counting calories. If you're not willing to do the work...can you really complain about lack of results?
  • niki108
    Options

But there is a need to count them. You can eat "healthy" all day long and still not lose weight. Some fruits and veggies can be quite calorie dense.

ETA: You seem to recognize that something isn't working, but you don't seem willing to start counting calories. If you're not willing to do the work...can you really complain about lack of results?
    Where did I imply that I wasn't willing to count calories? I'm just explaining my situation right now. Lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    At the very least OP you should endevour to count your calories for at least a month and get some idea of what level you are eating at. It would be best to continue counting throughout your weight loss but if you really hate doing that at least counting for the first month will help give you a feel for the caloric content of foods and allow you to learn how to eat within your goal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A serving of protein could be 100 calories or 300, depending on how big the serving is and what its from. Chicken is fewer calories per ounce than salmon for example. A fruit could be 30, or 150. Again depending on the fruit & size. Most veggies are fairly low cal but some are more calorie dense, and again it depends on the serving size.

As to the oils, etc. - nothing wrong with them in moderation. But if you were not measuring how do you know that you had 1 tsp of oil (40 calories) or more?

Nothing wrong with that list of food, but whether or not you'll lose weight depends on how much you actually consume in # of calories. It all adds up.
    I was allowed to have 5 servings of protein, 3 fruits, 4 complex carbs, 5 veggies, 1/4 cup of healthy fats and 5 tsps of olive oil, PB etc... And that was based on my weight and exercises
  • JTick
    Options

Where did I imply that I wasn't willing to count calories? I'm just explaining my situation right now. Lol

Because you keep circling back around to how you're eating healthy and eating all your containers. I highly recommend counting your calories instead. For instance, avocados are calorie dense. Peanut butter is calorie dense. I could easily gain weight eating only "healthy" food if I weren't counting my calories. And FWIW, I'd rather fit whatever I want to eat into my macros instead of just shoving other food into a certain size container.
  • niki108
    Options
    At the very least OP you should endevour to count your calories for at least a month and get some idea of what level you are eating at. It would be best to continue counting throughout your weight loss but if you really hate doing that at least counting for the first month will help give you a feel for the caloric content of foods and allow you to learn how to eat within your goal.
    I don't hate counting calories. I am willing to try it. I just wanted to hear opinions first
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Portions, servings...all can vary greatly when it comes down to calories. The only way you truly know your intake is to weigh solids (grams, preferably) and measure fluids. If you've been this dedicated so far, weighing and logging your foods will be a snap. Plus you'll love the daily feedback that only logging can give--it's right there in front of you on the screen. I admit that somedays making lunch looks like I'm in science class with a scale, but when I mix up a smoothie and know I'm consuming exactly 183 calories, I'm in control:drinker:
  • JTick
    Options
    I don't hate counting calories. I am willing to try it. I just wanted to hear opinions first

Well, you are on a calorie counting website. Our opinion will probably be that you should count calories. :wink: :happy:

I hope you don't think we're attacking you, either. I honestly want people to be successful, and as such will recommend a sustainable calorie amount and that you incorporate your favorite foods into your diet. Counting calories gives you the opportunity to work those treats in.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
  • niki108
    Options
    I measured out my oils. And the protein cup is 3/4 cup or 6 oz. they also included cottage cheese and Greek yogurt in the list of proteins. Not sure if that's normal. But I know I was eating it daily as well as PB and avocado. But anyways...I will stop with the 21 day fix and start counting calories