Birthday progress w/ pics

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
06/10/14

Today is my 52nd birthday. And my 492nd day of daily MFP logging. This has been one helluva year and I want to share it with you.
Many people refer to their weight loss/fitness experience as a “journey”. To me, a journey is traveling from one place to another, with a definite starting point and a pre-determined destination. I prefer to think of this as an adventure. I am traveling through uncharted territories, unaware of the pitfalls I will encounter, nor of the surprises I will find. Hell, I don’t even know where I will be when I complete this adventure. I don’t know where it will take me.

As I mentioned, this is the 492nd day of this adventure, my logging streak began on Monday, February 4, 2013. But the adventure actually started several months earlier. I joined MFP in October 2012 in order to lose weight for my upcoming wedding. My intentions were good but my follow through was lousy. On December 15, 2010, my husband of 10 years and I finally had our church wedding, renewed our vows and had our civil ceremony convalidated by the Catholic Church. When I looked through the pictures, I saw a very happy bride. A very happy, very fat bride. Over the years, I had gained about 100lbs. During those years, my husband never *****ed about my weight; he loved and accepted me just as I was. When I remembered all that we had been through and all the support he showed me over the years, I thought “He deserves more than a fat, unfit, dumpy and dowdy wife. He deserves a wife he can be proud of.” (Little did I know that he has always been proud to call me his wife.) Then I thought “Hell, I deserve to be more than a fat, unfit, dumpy and dowdy woman.” I was 50 years old and tipped the scales at 232lbs. My motivation for change was born. Something lit a fire in me. I wasn’t doing this for him; I was going to do this for ME. Because I am worth it.

MampGwDeaconMikeampFrTim_zps9af8d435.jpg

I started walking and being more aware of what I was eating. I logged in sporadically. I guess I saw a bit of progress; I was able to walk further and further each week. I was feeling better physically due to the light exercise, but I still wasn’t counting calories. I liked food too much to really consider a diet. But I wanted to change for the better. I logged a day of hypothetical eating – 2700 calories! No wonder I was obese! I had to change my eating habits. On 02/04/13, I started logging my food.

I started eating 1200 calories a day, just like MFP told me to do. I felt so righteous eating Laughing Cow cheese on a dry English muffin for breakfast, a salad for lunch and small portions at dinner. I joined the local gym and was amazed when I was able to walk for 30 minutes straight on the treadmill. I was doing awesome! But I was also hungry, kinda miserable and definitely wanting the good food I was accustomed to.

I started spending my time in the MFP Community. (MFP soon replaced FaceBook as my social media outlet). I started reading in the forums and found “In Place of a Road Map”. That single post changed my life! I learned about TDEE, BMR and a sustainable lifestyle. My weight loss strategy suddenly changed from a temporary diet to a long term way of life – one of eat a little less, move a little more. I also learned about the benefits of strength training, the wonders of C25K and the folly of raspberry ketones and detoxes.

I continued to walk daily. In April 2013, I started waking early and was walking 3 miles most mornings and evenings. By my 51st birthday in June 2013, I weighed 207lbs, a loss of 25lbs in 5 months. By July, I was starting SL5x5 and learned what it felt like to be a bad-*kitten*. I started C25K and in October, I ran my first 5K in 44:01 minutes. By November, I added weekly 6 mile hikes with Cora, my blue heeler pup. On November 8, I weighed 199.8lbs – ONEDERLAND at last! The first six months of 2014 have resulted in another 23lb loss, for a total of 48lbs. I weigh 184.6lbs as of this morning. My body fat % is at 41.3%, down from 56.2%. My BMI is 31.6, down from 38. I have gone from measurements of 49-43-52 to 43-37-42. (sorry this is so blurry :grumble: )

IMG_04741_zps83d0130c.jpg

I get a thrill out of feeling muscles emerge from under that layer of fat! I even have baby guns!

IMG_04731_zps6e43ebae.jpg

I still have much more to accomplish. I still want to lose another 20-40lbs more. I have yet to get consistent with my weight training (I’m praying that small spark becomes an unquenchable fire burning in me). I have yet to complete C25K and I can’t run yet (thanks to bone-on-bone knee problems). But I have gained the courage and confidence to post a pic of my booty for all of MFP to see – thanks to two special friends, you know who you are!

I want to especially thank all of the wonderful guys and girls on my FR (I’m getting teary-eyed now) for all the wonderful knowledge, support and inspiration you have given me. You guys are AWESOME and I hope to run as far and lift as heavy as you one day. I really don’t think I would be where I am now without you! And you continue to encourage me to keep working to achieve my best. But my adventure has only just started. This has been an awesome year for me. And I CAN’T WAIT to see what I accomplish in this next year. The possibilities are endless!

The cake, ice cream and champagne are on me!!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You rock so hard!

1_123125_123050_2240796_2270148_101012_cb_2m5gfu0.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You are an inspiration.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    happy bday and amazing results!!!
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love it! Great job lady!!
  • jennij0421
    jennij0421 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wowzers!!! You are a total rock star!!! Great job!!!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Well Happy Freaking Birthday to YOU!!! Well done and very inspirational.
  • shellya30
    shellya30 Posts: 21
    Options
    You look FABULOUS!
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A-maz-ing! Lovely writing to go with your incredible photos! :smile:
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow and Wow!! You are doing amazingly wonderfully well!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I know you feel as I do - The 50s are the new 30s! :drinker:

Tina-Fey-Amy-Poehler-High-Five.gif
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I know you feel as I do - The 50s are the new 30s! :drinker:

Tina-Fey-Amy-Poehler-High-Five.gif

^^^ This! You are an awesome example! Your progress is incredible, not only because of where you are now, but how you got here and how you NEVER gave up, even after difficult times. Thanks for keeping me on your FL. :flowerforyou:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I knew you were awesome, I just didn't know you were THIS awesome. :love: Happy birthday, beautiful, strong, amazing lady! :flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your transformation. And thank you for sharing your story, you are inspiring! And Happy Birthday! ????
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You rock! i wish i could kick start my mom! You are a super bad-*kitten*!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVUP7H0Ij0yMJ_wuOmtuixe1cSgwh1wH89IQj1X_jCVyPQgleL
  • RJenxi
    RJenxi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow wow wow !
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You have done an AWESOME job and are an inspiration to me!! I turned 52 in January and am on a journey as well!! Keep up the good work!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and great job! I am so blessed to call you a friend...you are beautiful and inspirational! Way to go:smile:
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your success!
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and CONGRATS!!!! So happy for you and inspired by your adventure! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!