What are the Proven Benefits of a "Lifestyle Change"?

Options

Replies

• defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't have data to back up my claims, but my suspicion is that lifestyle changes will be marginally more effective than crash diets but that no method reliably loses weight and keeps it off permanently.

It takes a herculean commitment for the rest of your life to keep weight off and even though everyone thinks they will be the exception, most aren't.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What is the definition of a "lifestyle change"?

As I defined it in the OP, and is most commonly defined here on MFP:

The "calorie counting, slow weight loss, 'everything in moderation' " approach to weight loss that is time, and again, heralded as the "right" way that will lead to the golden land of weight loss maintenance success. I've read that declaration on this board over two dozen times on this board this week alone, across various threads. Time and again people trumpet that most of those people who regain their weight did so because they lost weight the "wrong" way; too fast, too restrictive, diet pills, fads, surgery, etc.

Fine. I'm simply looking for some concrete evidence that suggests people who make this "lifestyle change" have been observed to have long term management of their loss at a significantly greater rate than those who did it the "wrong" way. So far everything I've read says otherwise.

So what's the final verdict then? No one should try to lose weight because they'll just gain it back? People who count calories and increase activity shouldn't feel smug over those that do "fad diets"? Maintaining is hard a fvck so ... try hard?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

The "calorie counting, slow weight loss, 'everything in moderation' " approach to weight loss that is time, and again, heralded as the "right" way that will lead to the golden land of weight loss maintenance success. I've read that declaration on this board over two dozen times on this board this week alone, across various threads. Time and again people trumpet that most of those people who regain their weight did so because they lost weight the "wrong" way; too fast, too restrictive, diet pills, fads, surgery, etc.

Fine. I'm simply looking for some concrete evidence that suggests people who make this "lifestyle change" have been observed to have long term management of their loss at a significantly greater rate than those who did it the "wrong" way. So far everything I've read says otherwise.

So what's the final verdict then? No one should try to lose weight because they'll just gain it back? People who count calories and increase activity shouldn't feel smug over those that do "fad diets"? Maintaining is hard a fvck so ... try hard?

The "final verdict" should simply be some evidence to back up a commonly repeated claim.

This isn't an emotional issue, or it shouldn't be turned into one at least. People request scientific evidence on this board all the time. Yet when asked to present some to back up arguably the most commonly repeated declaration on this board...crickets.

This thread isn't about what people should, or should not, do regarding their weight. This thread is a request for information.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    And if there is NO evidence to back up the claim?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    And if there is NO evidence to back up the claim?

Then there is NO evidence to back up the claim.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

The terminology "lifestyle change" is the rub here. It's vague at best.

Calorie counting: With or without a scale?

Slow weight loss: Define slow. Months? Years?

Moderation: Is 1 beer considered moderation? 2 beers?

Exercise: Cardio? Strength training? Both? Intensity level? Days per week?

You're asking for a scientific evidence about something that isn't well defined.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Because most people implement temportary lifestyle changes. Then once they lose weight, the remove the temoprary modifications and regain the weight. They forget that these changes need to be permanaent.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

So I'm asking for people to please offer links to studies that show concrete evidence that "lifestyle changes" in the area of calorie counting, slow weight loss, "everything in moderation" all lead to more successful maintainers in the long run.

Thank you.

So. Not one person has come up with one study, huh? Guessing some scientists need to get cracking on one.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I really don't need scientific studies or concrete evidence. Our bodies are not magic they can't put on weight unless we let them. This is a fact. Your "objective look" frankly reeks of confirmation bias. There are health studies to suggest all kinds of hokum in the health and fitness world so by all means coddle the ones that agree with your preconceptions.

Statistics have NOTHING to do with your chance of success on weight loss. Your actions and your willpower are everything. All this study says is that most of the people that try do not have the qualities necessary to succeed. Why do you think people are so impressed when someone does.

You don't need scientific studies or concrete evidence? Congratulations. Talk about confirmation bias. You won't give heed to any evidence that directly contradicts what you want to believe and you accuse the OP of confirmation bias? Oh, right, you won't look at any evidence at all, therefore it can't be confirmation bias.

Statistics may have nothing to do with your chance of weight loss, you will either regain or maintain once weight is lost. But statistics do tell the fate of pretty much large numbers of people who lose weight. Refuse to believe the evidence all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people will fail to have "the qualities necessary" to succeed. And quite frankly, the idea that people who are extraordinarily successful in other aspects of their lives are somehow lacking some trait that would hinder them in weight loss but not in their success in other areas, is laughable.

I don't need scientific evidence for the same reason that i don't need scientific evidence that grass is green or the sky is blue. It's basic physics here. Matter doesn't magically appear on our bodies to keep us fat unless we let it happen. End of discussion. Seems people will believe just about anything provided some crackpot who thinks he is a real scientist thought up some pie in the sky theories that told people it wasn't their fault that they failed. Weight loss is harder than most people think. It requires a dramatic and permanent restructuring of ones life and ones attitude to food and physical activity. And I absolutely can see that not many people really have the will to succeed at it long term. Because fact is it requires us to make sacrifices just like any worthwhile accomplishment. And the work while definitely harder at the start is never ending. You will probably be counting calories for the rest of your life. At least the rest of your life where you actually care about your weight. So by all means tell yourself that it's not your fault. I will be over here .. succeeding.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The facts are that this nation is fatter? The obesity rate has skyrocketed-and continues to do so and-type 2 diabetes is our number one health concern today/

This while people who write diet books from the no carb diet, the all protein diet, the liquid diet, the eat grapefruit for the next 4 months and you'll never have a weight problem again. And OH the pills, the promises of losing 25 pounds in 2 weeks and all the Dr. Oz type shows--with all the diet snake oil products that are making billions of dollars each and every year--while the nation continues to get fatter. We have decades of knowing "what doesn't work." All these fad diets, where an individual loses weight quickly, and puts it on twice as fast as they lost it, plus another 20 or so pounds. That is a fact.

When all weight loss and fitness is: Is eat less, move more Calories in versus Calories out.. Something that no one has figured out how to write a book on yet and make millions--because it's just the simple TRUTH.

We do know that weight taken off slowly tends to stay off. (WebMD) will tell you that. It's because the person has adjusted their "lifestyle" from trying all of the above to getting serious about what the simple truth is. That there is no magic pill or potion that is going to make them lose weight,. There is no magic pill that is going to keep them from getting hungry while their changing their eating habits or going --(from 3000+ calories a day down to less than 1/2 half of that.) It's not easy, it takes sheer determination, and that's why so many today fail, and it is they that are still buying books and magic snake oil remedies, only to find that nothing happens, except that they continue to yo yo in their weight--while getting fatter and fatter.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Round and round we go...

Still not once solid study to support one of the basic tenants of the "lifestyle change" push, that it somehow is the answer to long term maintenance and has a success rate that "dieting" does not.

This thread is a call for proof. Where is it?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    We do know that weight taken off slowly tends to stay off. (WebMD) will tell you that. It's because the person has adjusted their "lifestyle" from trying all of the above to getting serious about what the simple truth is.

Good, please post the link to a study that backs up the claim that "weight taken off slowly tends to stay off".
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Round and round we go...

Still not once solid study to support one of the basic tenants of the "lifestyle change" push, that it somehow is the answer to long term maintenance and has a success rate that "dieting" does not.

Are you suggesting that people can reach their goal weight and eat like pigs to maintain? I don't need a scientific study to tell me that when I hit my goal weight, 7 pounds from now, that I can head over to McDonalds and eat 3 meals a day there, without gaining weight.

Are there people who do that. Of course there are. But I imagine the overwhelming majority of people on this board are not going to do that. It's too hard to lose weight, and it's so easy to gain it. A lifestyle change of eating right, watching calories, and staying fit means a permanent fix. If you give up on it after you've hit your goal weight, that's your problem not mine.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've looked roughly the same for the last 20 years. That's a lifestyle benefit IMO.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    There are a few threads going on at the moment detailing various studies that show that long term weight loss management has pretty abysmal success rates.

The common rebuttal is that said studies are reflecting participants that lost weight the "wrong" way with various fads, cleanses, diet pills, etc, and that these rates do not reflect people who did it the "right" way with a "lifestyle change".

I've been looking for evidence to back up this claim and so far I've found nothing. I also haven't seen anybody on MFP actually offer solid proof either.

So I'm asking for people to please offer links to studies that show concrete evidence that "lifestyle changes" in the area of calorie counting, slow weight loss, "everything in moderation" all lead to more successful maintainers in the long run.

Thank you.
    Honestly I doubt you'll find it................................people who did it right with a lifestyle change don't need to lose weight again. Anecdotally, if I go into a gym or see lean people on the street, I'm betting that most of them didn't have to do too much to stay or become that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The question isn't how do people gain weight back, we know how. We lose the weight, then eat like pigs again. The question is: Why do so many of us do that, given how horrible being overweight is and how hard we worked to not be anymore?

When that gets solved, then this issue can be laid to rest. For certain the simple, ill-defined phrase 'lifestyle change' isn't offering up any solutions.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What are your current lifestyle choices? Smoking? Eating unhealthy foods? Doing jumping jacks in the middle of the highway? Well, whatever your lifestyle is, you've wound up on myfitnesspal which is a tool to help people lose weight and/or maintain a healthy weight.

Why are you here?

Now try to find some people who look/are healthy. Ask them what their lifestyle choices are. If they are similar to yours, you're on the right track. If not, maybe listen to what they say.

Eat less/make better food choices and exercise.

Eat more and don't exercise.

Which option is better off in the long run for losing weight?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Round and round we go...

Are you suggesting that people can reach their goal weight and eat like pigs to maintain? I don't need a scientific study to tell me that when I hit my goal weight, 7 pounds from now, that I can head over to McDonalds and eat 3 meals a day there, without gaining weight.

Are there people who do that. Of course there are. But I imagine the overwhelming majority of people on this board are not going to do that. It's too hard to lose weight, and it's so easy to gain it. A lifestyle change of eating right, watching calories, and staying fit means a permanent fix. If you give up on it after you've hit your goal weight, that's your problem not mine.

What does this have to do with the point of this thread, or the question I asked?

And I'm going to assume your final point was a universal "you", and that you weren't getting personal with me, since you really don't know anything about my weight loss journey.