Tips on 5K beginners!

Options
2»

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Thanks, imastarkidder. That among all the rest of you have made my day. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you find running outside different from running on a treadmill?

1horsetown

Yes completely different, I could run 3 miles on a treadmill I got outside the change in environment, hills, humidity etc, it was a big difference, it takes getting used to.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am running in a Thanksgiving Day 5K, and I just wanted to know if any of you have tips for me. I can run two miles without stopping now, but I doubt that I'll be able to do three in three weeks time. I don't care about the time right now, that can be worked in the next 5K I run. My goal is to finish without stopping running this time!

Sling in one interval session per week. For instance your next training session, instead of running at a steady pace, the same all the way through, run for one mile at a pace faster than you have been doing, then walk for four minutes and then run the other mile, then walk for four minutes and then run for HALF a mile.

The week after that, in your interval training session, do the same again, EXCEPT when you come to run the final half a mile, make it three quarters of a mile.

The final week, in your interval training session do the same as week two, EXCEPT, that final three quarters of a mile, make it a mile.

Important you warm down after interval training.

Whatever the outcome of your 5k is, I reckon you will breeze it, you will have adrenalin to push you through.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Jrich1 is right. There is no shame in walking parts. There is a huge difference between the race day and your trainging. You may find (or at least I did) that you will run harder/faster/longer on race day. Just go at what pace you feel works for you for as long as you can, then walk for 1-2 mins then start running again.

I did my first 10K (and first race) last weekend. I ran for the first 15 mins and then dod 4 mins run/1min walk for the rest. I finished 10 minutes faster than I had EVER in training. It was just the pace of the race.