Another question

Options
lqichick
lqichick Posts: 162 Member
I was reading another post, and one person told another to decrease carbs to a certain number and then said you will be likely eating more vegetables, fruit and meat ( to that effect).

So how does one decrease carbs yet eat more vegetables and fruits? I know when I put those in my food diary the carbs go up.

I mean every thing you eat- carrots or a candy bar- are calories and carbs.

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Well, regardless of the quality of the advice to decrease your carbs (I don't know your situation and your goals, so I can't comment on that)...

Think of it this way. 1/2 C of cooked white rice has about 22 carbs. 1/2 C of cooked broccoli (which would fill me up about the same as 1/2 C of rice) has only 6 carbs. 2 average slices of whole wheat bread for a sandwich has 26 carbs. Swap that out for a salad and the lettuce will probably come in at 2-3 carbs. While fruit definitely has more carbs on average than veggies, even 100g of strawberries (for example) only has 8g of carbs. So, basically, depending on the choices you make, while fruits and vegetables definitely have carbs, they typically have LESS carbs than grains, sugars, and starchy vegetables such as potatoes.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It depends on what sort of vegetables. Like, potato...vegetable, yes. Full of carbs, yes. But stuff like broccoli are less carbs.

Salads are really low on carbs, as are mushrooms. Mushrooms are actually amazingly low in calories as well (a good bulker for meals).

In short: pick the fruits and vegetables that are low carb if you want to cut down on carbs. You can find lists online with various vegetables/fruit/berries that are lower carbs.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It is easiest for me to lose weight when I reduce eating carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes. I eat plenty of carbs in my fruit and veggies and they keep me much fuller
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    They may also be referring to net carbs. For instance 100g of avocado has 9 grams of carbs of those 9 grams 7 are from fiber. I have read differing opinions on net carbs but my dietitian told me (I have pcos) to go ahead and count net carbs instead of total especially when they are coming from veggies and fruits.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I was reading another post, and one person told another to decrease carbs to a certain number and then said you will be likely eating more vegetables, fruit and meat ( to that effect).

So how does one decrease carbs yet eat more vegetables and fruits? I know when I put those in my food diary the carbs go up.

I mean every thing you eat- carrots or a candy bar- are calories and carbs.

Because pasta, bread, rice have way more carbs than carrots, cabbage, lettuce leaves, tomatoes etc