Eating when not hungry?

I'm done with school for the summer, and work part time (usually evening or night shifts), so I find myself waking up around 9:30-10:30 in the morning. I'll eat my breakfast and have some green tea and about an hour later I'll begin my workouts. However, I don't find that I'm hungry (like stomach growling or feeling empty) until late in the afternoon around 3:30-4pm. I've heard a lot of different things about eating small portions through out the day to keep your metabolism up...but shouldn't I not eat unless I'm hungry? I don't think I'm over eating at breakfast...I have a bowl of cereal (Special K or Mini Wheats) with milk. What do you guys think about this? I do drink a lot of water with the workouts and just in general...could that be it?

My workouts:
30 min of cardio (zumba, kick boxing, or speed walking with a weighted backpack)
Whatever is listed for that day on the 30 day beach body challenge
Whatever is listed for that day on the 30 day squat challenge
A HIT routine (those exercises vary)

I'm 5'1 and 140 (trying to drop to 130-125 by the time I go back to school in mid August) I'll admit, I'm new to all this so if I'm doing something wrong or unsafe please tell me.

Replies

• fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    I think it's important to eat at least every 3 hours, and especially right after you work out (personal preference). Even if I'm not especially hungry, it helps me not overeat during the night. Maybe you could incorporate a protein shake or smoothie or some sort after your workout which would be beneficial to muscle building/glycogen restoring.
  • slperryer
    slperryer Posts: 14 Member
    Little and often is the best way in terms of maintaining your blood sugar level etc, and stop you having energy slumps throughout the day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'm more on the 'listen to your body' mindset. There's no such thing as 'keeping your metabolism up'. Though if you get famished and will make bad choices then, definitely eat before then. Or if you suffer effects of low blood sugar from not eating that long. But if you feel fine and eat fine on breakfast and dinner, go for it.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    I use to eat all the time when I wasn't hungry. That's how I got fat.

It took years, and a ton of failure, but I finally am pretty in tune with my hunger cues. I recalled back in my formerly slimmer days, my weight was maintained by basically only eating when I was truly hungry. It wasn't even something I did on purpose.

Now I practice a combination of intermittent fasting and intuitive eating. It works for me. If I eat "just because" now, I am always aware of it. And it doesn't even feel natural or right anymore.