Juice Detox

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone ever done a Juice Detox and if so what were the results? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any recommendations? - I have been looking at the souldmate food one.

If i were to do one it would not be to lose weight as such (although i get that not eating solid food for 3-5 days may result in some loss) but more to feel more energetic etc.

Thanks in advance,
Zoe.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So juice is sugar. So you would be ingesting nothing but sugar for 5 days.

Have you ever tried to go a day eating nothing but sugar? How energetic did that make you feel?
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gave it a shot once. I lasted til lunch time and i just could take it anymore and threw it all up.

Really if you have issues managing your energy, you'd be much better off trying to find a long term solution so you always have more energy, rather than "detoxing" and trying to ride the sugar high for a few days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Drinking juice doesn't detox the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, here we go again...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, including fruits and veggies. Drink water. Poop & Pee. There, you are now detoxed.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Detox remedies such as vegetable juices, pills and abstinence from certain foods might make us feel less guilty about overindulging but there is no scientific evidence they work, says the British Dietetic Association (BDA).

‘Detoxing is nonsense,’ says BDA spokesperson Rick Miller. ‘It’s a complete fallacy that the body needs to detox. Removal of waste products and toxins is a continuous process and we don’t need to periodically flush them out. The body does a perfectly good job of eliminating any substances on its own.’

Miller says detoxing has its origins in the early 20th century, with autointoxication theory – the idea that disease was caused by waste products building up in the body. ‘This was debunked in the 1930s but the term seems to have prevailed and it keeps cropping up,’ he says. ‘In a medical sense, the term detoxing describes treatments administered to patients to minimise withdrawal from drug or alcohol addiction.’

Detoxes are based on the idea that stored toxic substances can be removed by eating or avoiding certain foods. The most popular detoxes tend to involve drinking ‘cleansing’ fruit and vegetable juice. These regimes cut out meat, caffeine and processed foods.

‘Aside from the deficiencies in vitamins, minerals, carbohydrate and essential fatty acids, one of the major problems with juicing is the lack of protein you are providing the body,’ says Miller.
    ‘Protein is a vital nutrient needed on a daily basis. When it is not provided, your body will scavenge it from other sources such as muscle tissue, organs or the bones. People could actually end up in a worse state after a detox because of this.’
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Detox from what, exactly?
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    I went on a 3 day juice detox after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (if you need some inspiration mid-way through your juicing you should check it out, haha). My main reason was to fuel my need to cut off of caffeine and stimulants. A couple of things I've learned from the juice fast...

1) Low energy and bad mood/mood swings the first two days.
    2) Variety is key. Using root vegetables such as beets and carrots helped me feel full.
    3) Lots of loss in water weight. This is due to a huge decrease in calories and sodium. Most of the weight will come back.
    4) Drink warm teas (without caffeine) throughout the day and night.
    5) Don't try to exercise. Your body is going through enough physically to sustain itself. Maybe do light yoga or stretching at the most.
    6) Introduce solid foods slowly back into your diet after your juice fast.
    7) After the initial 48 hours you wake up feeling energized, enlightened.

Most of the benefits I had were mental. But once again, I was trying to "detox" my body from caffeine. I would do a juice fast again regardless of the people who talk negatively about it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Why all the detox/cleanse threads lately?
    WHY CAN NO ONE TELL ME WHAT THESE TOXINS ARE IN MY BODY.
    Oh wait..because its a gimmick.

Eat your solids, drink some water, enjoy some juice with dinner, and don't fall for a "cleanse" or "detox".
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    . But once again, I was trying to "detox" my body from caffeine.

Wut?
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options

Wut?

I use the word detox in the sense of removing it from my diet and reducing my body's dependence on it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Wut?

I use the word detox in the sense of removing it from my diet and reducing my body's dependence on it.

You can do that without juicing though.......I actually quit all caffeine about 6 years ago. Now if I accidentally have some it has the same effect as ex lax on me :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I gave it a shot once. I lasted til lunch time and i just could take it anymore and threw it all up.

Really if you have issues managing your energy, you'd be much better off trying to find a long term solution so you always have more energy, rather than "detoxing" and trying to ride the sugar high for a few days.

Hah, one juice and I was done, too! Never, ever, ever again. I went against my own good common sense on that one. And, um, "detoxes" usually consist of (anecdotally) of horrid, horrible bathroom situations, of which "advocates" claim are proof that the "detox" is working. Um, no. Just no. Diarrhea and/or intestinal distress means your body is sick (from the juice, or pills, or whatever weirdness you must ingest under these programs).
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Do you not have internal organs? They do all the detoxing you need on a daily basis. No need to juice or fast.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I went on a 3 day juice detox after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (if you need some inspiration mid-way through your juicing you should check it out, haha). My main reason was to fuel my need to cut off of caffeine and stimulants. A couple of things I've learned from the juice fast...

1) Low energy and bad mood/mood swings the first two days.
    2) Variety is key. Using root vegetables such as beets and carrots helped me feel full.
    3) Lots of loss in water weight. This is due to a huge decrease in calories and sodium. Most of the weight will come back.
    4) Drink warm teas (without caffeine) throughout the day and night.
    5) Don't try to exercise. Your body is going through enough physically to sustain itself. Maybe do light yoga or stretching at the most.
    6) Introduce solid foods slowly back into your diet after your juice fast.
    7) After the initial 48 hours you wake up feeling energized, enlightened.

Most of the benefits I had were mental. But once again, I was trying to "detox" my body from caffeine. I would do a juice fast again regardless of the people who talk negatively about it.

This type of "detox" would be legit. Basically what you are doing is removing something with addictive qualities from your diet... Yes, I've "detoxed" caffeine from my diet before... cold turkey. Lots of headaches for a couple of days... then I was better.What many are debunking is the myth that the liver is incapable of removing poisons from the body on its own without some type of magic formula/juice/snake oil type thing... The body is perfectly capable of removing these things without the gimmicks... However, there certainly is value in removing negative substances from our diet and I applaud you for taking this step in your life. I need to do that with caffeine again sometime myself.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i once did a juice fast, although i did it to lose weight and to break my snacking habit. i lost 11 pounds in 7 days, and was constantly sipping juice diluted with water, so after the first day, i didn't get hungry. i wouldn't do it again, though - you can lose some muscle doing that, and it's also just sort of weird after a couple days.
  • aprilburg5
    Options
    The husband and I have been doing the green juices off and on for months now. He does not eat anything at all while on it.Goes about 5 days then eats clean. I however eat very clean, while jusicing I cant do the fast thing just dont have the mind set for it. We dont do it for the detox we do it to lose weight. he has lost almost 60#'s now since March. I am at 30. He was 360 though when we started he is 6'7" so has a lot to lose, i started at 190 and I am 5'7". I like the jucies but be very carful how much fruit you use. Its really only gonna to help if you do atleast 85% veggies.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Juice detox for me is a flaming hot bloody mary after a night of hard drinking
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    just done the soulmatefoods one and its not nice, it weighs really heavy on the stomach and makes you fee sick. I did the 5 day one and yes I completed it...I have a lot of weight to lose. I lost 4 lb but was very bloated and did not feel energised as promised x
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I detox my brain by using the serach function on this site before I ask anything.