How long did it take you to run how far?

Options
2»

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    When I got serious about running about 5 years ago I went from running about 3 miles at a time to running a marathon. This took about 18 months.

Edit: I should add I've now run 10 marathons (or 11, depending on how you count them) and they are never easy!
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey at the end of August 2013 I could barely run for a minute straight without feeling like my heart was going to give out on me.... I did a 5k runner app starting in December 2013 (I didn't like the increments of c25k for a beginner... I couldn't keep up) for about 2 months or so which was slower than what it was supposed to be - but I never even finished it because now I am running 5k non-stop! It has taken me maybe about 10ish months as well BUT I did it! I just did my personal best yesterday 33:57!! Every now and then I have to take a quick 30 second water break but just long enough to get my water and start back up! Just keep pushing at it! I try to run 3-4 times a week.

ALSO: I really found that running outdoors helps A LOT with running on the treadmill... Treadmilling 5k is a BREEZE compared to outdoor 5k! LOL
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You need to slow down. Try running at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation. You'll be surprised at how much farther you can do.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You should talk to Josee, she went from not running to bad *kitten* marathon time in one year.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com//_Josee_

Editted because I misspelled her name and she threatened to delete me. Watch out she will cut you!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're really dedicated you can gradually increase fairly quickly.

I went from couch to 50K (30.1 miles) in just under 2 years.

But you've got to stick with it (and enjoying it helps too! I didn't enjoy it until I was able to run a few miles comfortably - after that I really enjoyed slowly increasing distance). Try to just run at a slow pace at first - it's more enjoyable and you'll be more likely to stick with it.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did run a little before I had kids, but, after my 4th, I went from basically having 5k fitness to running a marathon in a year. I just slowly built up mileage and picked out a marathon plan when I got to being able to do 13-15 mile long runs. I did a 12 week plan and had a blast at the race. I am the type of person who needs a plan! I read all I could about running and slowly built up mileage with the 10% rule. I started working a bit on speed as well as part of the marathon plan (I used McMillan), but I hadn't done speed stuff before that 12 weeks preceding the marathon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and then C210k and was running 10K within a few months time, albeit I was pretty slow. I would advise following some kind of training template designed to train you to run.

Once i was able to run 10K, I started working on increasing my speed. I never developed much though as I injured myself and then took up biking which I much prefer at this point.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    You need to slow down. Try running at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation. You'll be surprised at how much farther you can do.

yeahthat_zps5592cc84.gif
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I spent three years working up to running a 5k with no walking; I could go further than that so long as I took walking breaks. In that three years, I managed it twice. It didn't seem to matter what I tried, I couldn't do it but something clicked this past January and one day I ran three miles, no walking. Two days later I did five miles, no walking. Last week my long run was nine miles, this week eight and next week I'm going for double digits for the first time. I've dropped over two minutes a mile time wise. And while I'm sore when I'm done, I feel awesome :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I started seriously trying to run again in late February (struggling with the weather) and ran a 10K on May 18, but I used to run a lot, so had a good sense of how to pace myself. If your goal is to increase distance definitely keep the speed slow; it will increase naturally as you run more.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I went from 5k's last year to a marathon 3 weeks ago and I still struggle with the first 3 - 5 miles, I really dislike them and have full blown arguements with myself at the start 'why am I doing this', 'this is crap, I don't want to run' (sometimes these arguements are out loud so I do get funny looks if I don't notice people in time), but it took me going up to long runs of 10 miles + to discover that those first few miles were the worst for me, the marathon was tough but I enjoyed it and signed up for another one next year (possibly 2 if I get through the ballot for London), now have a list of marathons that I want to complete (all around the world).

I agree that consistency is key, make a plan and stick to it be it an app that you put on your phone for walk jog or running 3 times a week and building up to 3 miles, a lot of it is mental as well, the saying 'try not, do or do not' (yes I know it's yoda) is good, say to yourself that you're going to do this and be strong mentally and the body will follow!!!
    The arguement I have with myself is that little voice in my head that says I can't do it, it gets told to shut the f%"k up at least 3 times a week (and I run 4 times a week).
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year, but got injured and had to take several months off - I wasn't running 5k by the end of the programme though.

I took up running regularly again in March 2014, and could only do 1 mile non-stop. Got to 3miles by the end of March, and 6miles by the end of April. I can now comfortably run 10 miles (not very fast though!) and am training for a Half Marathon in October. My best 5km time is only 29:44 and my best 10km is only 1:03:30 so I have a long way to go
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've been sorta trying to run since last September and have gone from 0.49miles to 2.2miles non stop. So thats taken about 10 months. Would like to be able to run 6-7miles without feeling like I'm going to die..

Just want to know how long it took you to be able to run any distance?

Took me 12 weeks to get from zero to 3 miles, then another 15 weeks to get to consistently running 6 miles, I'm now 15 months in and hitting half marathon distances, which means most runs are between six and ten miles.

fwiw I'm now on:

5K - 25 minutes
    10K - 50 minutes
    HM - 120 minutes

target just now is to reduce that HM time to 105 minutes
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Distance doesn't matter...Speed does.

Depends on your objectives. there's no point doing the first 500 metres at full tilt if you can't then follow through on the next 9500.

Equally, little point in going at HM pace if it's a 400 metre race