Gaining weight and eating 1600 calories

Options
Hello all
I have been consuming 1600 calories and eating some of my exercise calories but not all. My TDEE is 1846 and BMR is 1262. I am 5'2 and 133 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week for 25 minutes burning anywhere from 350-420 calories. I have been trying to eat as healthy as possible. My nutrition is set up as 40 carbs, 40 protein and 20 fat. I do go over my carbs often, but they are for the most part healthy carbs. When I first started tracking MFP had me at 1200 calories and then I increased it the week after so the low calorie intake in the first week is due to eating 1200 and not 1600. However after three weeks, I actually gained two pounds so now I am 133 pounds. My average calories after exercising have been 1551, 1554, 1548, 1407, 1474, to give you some examples.
What am I doing wrong? Should I increase the calories? I am not expecting to loose 2 pounds a week but not gain either.
My goal is to reduce body fat and increase muscle. Thanks in advance

Lily

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    I have been consuming 1600 calories and eating some of my exercise calories but not all. My TDEE is 1846 and BMR is 1262. I am 5'2 and 133 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week for 25 minutes burning anywhere from 350-420 calories. I have been trying to eat as healthy as possible. My nutrition is set up as 40 carbs, 40 protein and 20 fat. I do go over my carbs often, but they are for the most part healthy carbs. When I first started tracking MFP had me at 1200 calories and then I increased it the week after so the low calorie intake in the first week is due to eating 1200 and not 1600. However after three weeks, I actually gained two pounds so now I am 133 pounds. My average calories after exercising have been 1551, 1554, 1548, 1407, 1474, to give you some examples.
    What am I doing wrong? Should I increase the calories? I am not expecting to loose 2 pounds a week but not gain either.
    My goal is to reduce body fat and increase muscle. Thanks in advance

Lily

You won't gain muscle on a calorie deficit - your goal should more realistically be to lose fat and retain what muscle you already have by lifting heavy weights, making sure you get plenty of protein, and not try to lose weight too quickly
  • lilsolditto
    lilsolditto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My food logging is accurate, I log everything even a tablespoon of peanut butter! :)
    I am doing FOCUS T25 workout and my watch tracks calories burned. I know the tracker may not be a 100 % accurate but I use it only to track my workouts and that is it.
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Yes you are right Wonderob, thank you. I am just wondering what can I do different. I guess my first goal would be to loose 10-15 pounds and then retain muscle.
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Curious why did you move your MFP from 1200 to 1600?
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Because since I am working out, if I was to eat 1200 and then work out and burn 350 or 400 calories it would take me under 1200 calories. My BMR is 1262 and TDEE is 1846. So I increased it due to the exercise.I didnt want to be below 1200 after exercise.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My food logging is accurate, I log everything even a tablespoon of peanut butter! :)
    I am doing FOCUS T25 workout and my watch tracks calories burned. I know the tracker may not be a 100 % accurate but I use it only to track my workouts and that is it.

If the exercise is new it could be fluid retention to repair your muscles.

To really make sure that your logging is accurate use a food scale to measure all of your solids, including your peanut butter.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1600 don't eat the exercise cals, and those sound high for that short of a workout. I can burn that many in an hour, not 30 min.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    are you measuring inches at all? or just pounds?

I just started T25 for the second time.
    First time, I dropped a ton of inches but zero pounds. most in my chest and midsection ( belly and hips).

This is a great fat loss work out program, which is not always seen on the scale, but IS seen with a measuring tape........
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake is quite high too. Could you cut out some of the more processed carbs for 2 weeks and see what happens?
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Yes I use a food scale and I measure everything. The peanut butter I measure with a measuring spoon but I can also put it on the food scale to be more accurate. I weigh chicken, fish, everything I eat so I am pretty sure is not that.
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Wow thank you for all the suggestions to everybody.

I am going to lower carbs and calories and see what happens. Thank you all
  • lilsolditto
    Options
    Your carb intake is quite high too. Could you cut out some of the more processed carbs for 2 weeks and see what happens?

Going to try that! Thx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes I use a food scale and I measure everything. The peanut butter I measure with a measuring spoon but I can also put it on the food scale to be more accurate. I weigh chicken, fish, everything I eat so I am pretty sure is not that.

Your entries do not reflect that you weigh...that is an important part of logging accurately as well...ie 2 small apples, 23 chips, 15 crakcers, avocado slices, and there is more....

but sure cut out carbs...lose some water weight and then gain that all back when you start eating them again...
  • lilsolditto
    Options

Also, if you're using the TDEE method of setting goals, then you should not be also logging or eating back your workout calories. TDEE already accounts for workout calories.

So I should be eating my TDEE? 1846 calories since it calculates exercise?
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had a look at about a weeks worth of your food diary.

a few suggestions I would make:

- measure everything by weight, instead of "a cup of rice" etc

- you're always about 20g under on your protein most days

- you seem to go over on fat most days

- you seem to go over on sodium quite a bit most days - which can lead to water weight

- as another person said, your TDEE already includes your exercise, so if you log it and eat the calories back - its being accounted for twice
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't really long enough to measure your weight loss trend...if you are doing everything by the book, give it more time...like 3 month...if you keep "gaining" then something is wrong...other wise, keep doing it.