Night owl or early bird?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
God I miss being a night owl! Pre kids I was up all night either partying or watching tv or movies. Then I could sleep until noon. Fast forward to kids and I'm lucky if I get to bed before 9 or 9:30! But now I'm up at 5:30am every damn day! Ugh!

So what are you? Do you like it? Wish you could change it?

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've always been a night owl, even as a little kid, i still am if i can get away with it. My shrink says that i'm probably predisposed to being a night owl and that depression makes it even easier to sleep during the day. i know next week i'll be up lots as i'll have the house to myself. It's not unusual to find me in the basement at 4am working on stuff or at walmart shopping.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Both-ish...I was always a night owl who didn't really sleep all that late. Now I generally go to bed around 11 and get up at 5:30 or so
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to be a night owl just like you. Kids + job with 7a start time = now I am an early bird.. 7 am is sleeping in! My body likes to stay in a rhythm, when I did shift work my body was all messed up. I have to take a nap now if I plan on staying up late. Oh well.. it just happens when life happens

PS. I wake up HAPPY! I am probably the annoying happy morning person (as long as I get enough sleep)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Depends on when the fish are biting
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Early bird. Going to bed now. Will probably be up at 4 to eat breakfast, have coffee, shower, and be at the gym by 6. Because I am obviously insane.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Early bird!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think my user name says it all! :laugh:

I've always been a morning person - even as a teenager and college student. I usually wake up around 6:00, even without an alarm. I like to go to bed by 10:00. I haven't seen midnight on New Year's Eve in probably 20 years.

I like it and wouldn't change anything. Mornings are an easy time to be productive while everything/everyone around me is still quiet.
  • mkflores7035
    Options
    NIGHT OWL...even with kids....but think I need to start being an early bird... .less food temptations when i'm asleep:
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Early bird special. 5:30 every day. Saturday I sleep in until 6:30
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Night owl I guess. I feel ill if I have to be up before 7 am. However I wake up annoying happy and perky when I do get up. I will wake up early but as long as I can lounge in bed until 8. Luckily my son is a night owl.
  • drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd go to bed every night as the sun comes up if I could. This being awake during the day thing is way over rated. So much less traffic on the roads at night too.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I am most definitely a night owl, unfortunately it lasted even through my daughter and I have to be at work at 6am! Miserable!!! I go to work sleepy a lot!!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Both really...I've had a short sleep cycle since I was young. Need roughly 5 hours of sleep, give or take an hour. I wake up earlier now that I'm at half the dose of meds i'm taking and have been taking almost all my life
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I would love to be up late every night, prefer the night, but have to get up at 6am to get to work on time. Saturdays I can't sleep in past 7 after getting up all week, but Saturday night I end up staying up late and sleeping as late as I want on Sundays.

I did challenge myself in May to stop hitting the snooze button, which I used to hit multiple times. It is a change for the good, I feel better in the morning and am not rushing around like I used to.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I can tell i'm getting old. Back in the 90s i could stay up forever and not get tired and then sleep for 5 hours and be up at 6am with no trouble. Now i can't sleep without medication and need a bomb to go off to wake me up before noon lol.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I get up about 3am each morning. On the weekends, I sleep in until 4am or 5am.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Early bird - Up at 4:00 at the gym by 5:00.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Both.... I stay up until 11ish on week nights because I get up for work by 5-5:30. And on the weekends I'm usually up until 1-2a.m. and up by 6 or 7.
  • TexasOFT76
    TexasOFT76 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Early bird.....but still can be a night owl
  • VictoriousLion
    VictoriousLion Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Both... I go through phases. I would currently be more of an early bird now, though. I have to be up earlier. I do occasionally enjoy staying up late to binge on Netflix with back-to back episodes... LOL.