What caloric intake should I be aiming for?

Options
I know 1200 is considered too low (which MFP recommended!), but I have no idea what my caloric intake should be to lose weight at a steady pace. Right now I manually set it to 1500 , but sometimes I feel its too low because when I work out, I net 1200 calories. Is that safe? I haven't felt hungry since starting the 'diet'. I feel satisfied and full, but I want to eat enough to promote weight loss. I purchased some protein shakes to chugg after work out even when I'm not hungry because I read somewhere it helps rebuild muscles after a work out.

I'm 4'11, currently my weight is 210 (lost 2 pounds!! :-D). I work a very sedentary job, I am confined to my desk all day. But I do work out 20 mins a day, 5 days a week now. I suppose eventually I will tweak it to longer work outs, less days whenever I build up the stamina.

I tried using those online TDEE calculators but I don't know whether I should put sedentary (because I'm at a desk all day), lightly active (because I work out only 20 min) or moderately active (since I do work out 5 days)! Help?

Replies

• fatbegone85
    Options
    Bueller?
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I let MyFitnessPal calculate my daily calorie allowance.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    MFP recommends 1200 calories a day. Judging from the posts I've read here....1200 will be a quick way to lose my hair and some muscle in the process. I don't want to be just thin, I want to be fit and healthy. And I'm not sure if I can only eat 1200 forever. I gain weight so easy.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is neither a good nor bad number in a vacuum. The issue is how people force the system to give them the lowest possible intake when their selections and plans aren't always the healthiest path.

MFP uses NEAT calories as it's system ... BMR + routine daily activity but no deliberate workouts included ... those get tracked separately and MFP expects you to eat those back to maintain your net NEAT caloric goal. Using your current height, weight, gender, and age comes out to about 1500-1550 net calories per day for a one pound per week loss. 1200 net calories puts you in the 1.5-2 lb per week planned loss range. The question is can you get the required nutrition at that caloric intake? If not, go with the slower but healthier loss plan.